Sponsored Ads
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

<<<<<< Register to remove these ads >>>>>>

Go Back   South East Mopars Forum > Member's Area > The Lounge
Become a Supporting Member         Become a Preferred Vendor

The Lounge The place to hang out and discuss random things.

Old 11-16-2011, 07:31 PM   #1

NOTPAID4
N.C. Chapter President

Name: Jim
Garage
Default Tee's 05 R/T "CHANCE" ~ What HAPPENED???
I just had posted a thread about changing the spark plugs in Tee's 05 R/T "CHANCE" and she took it to work yesterday. She called and said it was running great and her EVIC mileage now read 19.3 MPG. Thought all was well.

Well... she gets out of work, starts the car, lets it warm up a bit and starts to take off..... A WHOLE LOT OF ENGINE LIGHTS COME ON; so she shuts it off.... NOW it would start and would NOT even come out of PARK. I had showed her how to take the console apart and move the cable etc to get it out of park, just in case (as this is the car that the transmission cable popped out of the "U" bracket.) So I had figured this was the case. I was proud of her as she messed with it some; didn't appear that the pinky thing broke and while she was wiggling everything she got the car started....."CHECK ENGINE LIGHT NOW ON". Told her to go ahead and bring it home and she did.

TODAY >>> I take out CODE READER OUT AND SEE IF IT THREW ANY CODES:
YUP; THREE
P0480 Cooling Fan Relay
P0645 A/C Clutch Relay
P0406 Gas Rec Sensor A circuit High
(AND the pinky thing is NOT BROKE!)

I go out to mess with it and check everything UNDER THE HOOD in case I accidently bumped something loose while changing the plugs. Found NOTHING ~ Next, looked at the manual to check Fuses. Checked all FUSES and made sure they were plugged in good. Found NOTHING AGAIN.

LOW AND BEHOLD.... I checked the positive terminal under the hood = LOOSE; so I get the wrench and tighten that up. NOW, I go try to start the car....
Walla STARTS RIGHT UP AND COMES RIGHT OUT OF PARK and shifts, move the car in reverse and then drive... Hmmmmm, seems OK.

Still check engine light.... Codes still there. What the HEY... I pull Fuse #11, leave it out for about half hour, plug it back in; check with the code reader; of course it shows NO codes stored..... NOW, I take it for about a 1/2 hour ride, stop and go, shutting off, starting again and it drives perfect. Get bach home; still NO check engine light and again NO codes.

Hmmmmm..... could this have been just the LOOSE POSITIVE BATTERY TERMINAL under the hood this whole time ~ Geesh Lets hope so!!!!

The SAGA continues............

NOTPAID4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 07:45 PM   #2

Fla 66 cuda
Cummins Member

Name: Lou
Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to Fla 66 cuda
These newer cars are weird i had a friend at work that had a ranger pickup all of the sudden the radio would come on and off by it self,wipers would do same thing,he got all kinds of lights and odd stuff happening like it was posessed it turned out to be a weak battery he changed the battery and every thing was fine.

1966 barracuda 273 auto
2001 dodge ram 1500 quad cab
2013 Hyundai Elantra
2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 Coupe
All housed at the redneck mansion.

USAF Fighter Aircraft Mechanic 1979-1989

Fla 66 cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 08:08 PM   #3
SmokedRam
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to SmokedRam
Originally Posted by Fla 66 cuda View Post
These newer cars are weird i had a friend at work that had a ranger pickup all of the sudden the radio would come on and off by it self,wipers would do same thing,he got all kinds of lights and odd stuff happening like it was posessed it turned out to be a weak battery he changed the battery and every thing was fine.

Yep, sounds like my wifes Windstar...when the battery is weak, the computer goes into some weird mode where, the gauges will cycle, AC will turn on, wipers turn on, radio comes on, the lights will cycle on and off, and the horn will sound.
SmokedRam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 09:08 PM   #4

NOTPAID4
N.C. Chapter President

Name: Jim
Garage
Thanks for the info guys.... never dreaming that a loose battery connection could cause such a problem; especially the shifter not coming out of park. But after taking it for a good spin; all seems OK... at least so far.

NOTPAID4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 09:13 PM   #5
SmokedRam
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to SmokedRam
I would definately thrown it on a battery charger and put a slow charge on it over night.
SmokedRam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 11:12 PM   #6

ramthis9501
SRT Member

Name: Colton
Garage
Weird deal, my mom's 07 300 used to go into limp mode if you didn't let it warm up. It'd throw a code and barely go. These new cars are definitely weird in some of the things they do.

Old 11-17-2011, 07:36 AM   #7

Fla 66 cuda
Cummins Member

Name: Lou
Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to Fla 66 cuda
That's why i hate newer vehicles those damn computors control everything and there is so many things that can cause it not to run,days of backyard mechanicing are over unless you have deep pockets to buy all the equipment to test them when they are illin.

1966 barracuda 273 auto
2001 dodge ram 1500 quad cab
2013 Hyundai Elantra
2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 Coupe
All housed at the redneck mansion.

USAF Fighter Aircraft Mechanic 1979-1989

Fla 66 cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 08:11 AM   #8

Storm Rider
Super Moderator

Name: Paul
Garage
Glad to hear Chance is running fine for now.

God, Country, & Corps
Storm Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 11:49 PM   #9

UnderCover
R/T Member

Name: Art
Similar thing happened to my mustang. I was driving it down the parkway, and the radio was cutting out, engine/abs lights, and surging. Turned out to be a loose ground cable

UnderCover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 09:22 AM   #10

03 Rammer
SRT Member

Garage
Thats weird, if it was just a voltage issue usually you would get a different code, not what you got. Sorry forgot the code for low voltage. I would keep an eye out on "Chance" Might still have a problem.