Sponsored Ads
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

<<<<<< Register to remove these ads >>>>>>

Go Back   South East Mopars Forum > Member's Area > The Lounge
Become a Supporting Member         Become a Preferred Vendor

The Lounge The place to hang out and discuss random things.

Old 10-17-2012, 12:58 AM   #1

NOTPAID4
N.C. Chapter President

Name: Jim
Garage
Default Help ME Understand HID head lights!
When we bought Tee's 2006 300SRT used it came with aftermarket headlights and HIDs. We only have one LOW BEAM (driver side working). NO other headlights work and the ONE low beam that does work will only come on when the High beam switch on the interior is used.

Turn signals work front & back ~ but do blink extremely fast. All tail lights, brake lights and parking lights front and rear work OK.

When YOU look under the hood, there is about a softball size ball of wire behind each head light. What a mess! After tracing for about four hours, I found NO broken wires but a ton of splices. Both head lights have a balast and relay behind each headlight. I'm assuming YOU CANNOT hook these up directly to a 12volt source. The balast and relays must do something.

I looked and CANNOT FIND any stock wiring harness or plugs; believe the previous owner may have just cut those off.
(Oh and the stock fog lights have no wires or plugs for those either.)

I really did NOT want to change out these headlights as they look GREAT however I see you CANNOT use stock bulbs in these lights.

Their are a couple of reasons I did NOT want to change head lights:
1. Love the look of these aftermarket headlights.
2. Did NOT want to have to rewire the whole lighting system.
(Cannot locate stock wiring harness or stock plus for 2005/2006 bulbs.)
3. The turn signals LED work and look very nice, although they bling FAST

Does anyone have any ideas where to START? I really hate to just start unhooking everything ~ a real mess ~ and NOT have anything light up.

Thanks for any imput!!!

NOTPAID4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 12:23 PM   #2

repoman
V8 Member

Name: nick
the balast are bad....cut that after market junk out since light in all mopars are controled by ecm....order a CAN_BUS balast and replace it all....hidcountry.com here in sarasota are good....but mor ethan likely the balast is smoked removed it before u have a fire
repoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 01:47 PM   #3

AWE Daniel
Florida Chapter Vice President

Name: Daniel
Jim do the 300s have a dual bulb like a 9007?

My advice is to get a premade Relay and replace all that mess of wiring, but to do that you will need to find the ends of the stock wiring. Once you find that it will all be pretty simple.

If you are using LEDs for the turn signals then that is what is causing them to blink fast. The computer senses less resistance in that circuit and thinks a bulb is out, even when it's not. The cure for that is LED resistors, although I'm not sure what resistance you will need.

Sounds like the previous owner did a real hackjob the first time around.