Sponsored Ads
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

<<<<<< Register to remove these ads >>>>>>

Go Back   South East Mopars Forum > Mopar Models > SUV Forum > Jeep
Become a Supporting Member         Become a Preferred Vendor

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-01-2012, 10:43 PM   #1

HammerZ71
Newb

Default 4.7 HO go BOOM!!!!
Well I started a thread in the Ram section about my 4.7 dropping a valve seat and taking out cylinder #2. I am going to continue it here, where it should be - but this should be of interest to ALL 4.7 owners.

Finally got the heads off (and I'll be honest - this will be my LAST OHC modular engine!) I've gotten heads off of 4.0 I6s in an hour and a half. Took my over 7 hours to get the heads off this SOB!

As expected the aluminum head is toast. As suspected the piston in cylinder #2 is toast. What I found that I did not expect was that BOTH heads were done! Seems the valve seat exploded and debris went up into the intake manifold and made it to the other head.

and I don't think this piston is re-usable, LOL...

So I got a local quote from a reputable shop on re-manning the heads and re-pressing all valve seats at $380 if I supply the seals. Found an all-inclusive master overhaul kit for $700 to the door - WITH 8 new, balanced pistons (might as well make this a TOTAL rebuild). So about the only other parts costs I'm gonna have are water pump and oil pump (again, the originals are ok, but with 102k on 'em I only wanna do this once) and then just plugs, fluids and filters...

I hope to have the kit tuesday so I can take the valve seals out and get them and the heads to the shop so I can get started...

Last edited by HammerZ71; 06-01-2012 at 10:47 PM.