Sponsored Ads
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

<<<<<< Register to remove these ads >>>>>>

Go Back   South East Mopars Forum > Member's Area > SEMopars Club Section
Become a Supporting Member         Become a Preferred Vendor

SEMopars Club Section Created by Members

Old 05-21-2011, 09:08 AM   #81

OklaHemi
Vertically Challenged Super Mod

Name: Michael
Garage
wow i bet that had to suck..what was the creamer for

OklaHemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 02:25 PM   #82

Redtruck-VA
Turbo Member

Name: PI_greg
Ok guys & girls, I installed the 4.7 coil springs. It is a little confusing, the two 4.7 springs I bought are 603"s the 5.7 springs I pulled from the truck are 604 on the drv side and a 602 on the pass side. The pass side has always sit about a 1/4" higher. It is now within a 1/8" when I returned from my test run. IDK, if you can tell if there is a difference or not. In my eye I can tell.

Here is what I did, I got conflicting information on how much of a cut does what. so guessed. I measured 6" around the outside of the coil on the bottom and cut it.

We are very fortunate tha Dodge designed the front coil setup the way they did. The top of the spring sits in a rubber donut that can be positioned anywhere. This means the coil can be cut and the top will just sit in a new position without issues.

top of donut

bottom of donut

Took me just short of 4 hours, spending almost 3 hours on the driver side trying to figure out how much to cut and a hour on the passenger side. I got what I figure is about 5/8 of an inch. I'll drive it this week and see if it'll settle and if it doesn't then i'll cut it again. Not hard to do. All I did was jacke it up and put a stand under the frame. Put a jack under the LCA and lifted it to where the truck almost comes off the stand. Unbolt the sway bar link and removed the shock. Backed the lower ball joint nut off about 1/4". Lowered the jack and placed it under the lower ball joint nut and jacked it back up some and smacked the spindle boss in the area of the lball joint and it let go. Lifted the spindle up and placed a small piece of 2x4 under the uCA. There is no dangerous spring load, so lower the jack and remove it from under the LCA. I used a old axe handle to leverage the LCA down and pulled the spring. Afte cutting the spring just reverse the procedure. Nothing to it. Good luck.

PI_greg 2003 SXT-Hemi, SS/T rims, 275/60-17, AeroForce, w/wideband, 6.1 ignition, K&N-77 CAI, Fastman TB, eFan, 180 stat, TMR, HD OEM Trans Cooler, SC3865/PSC1, Dual window switch/ high idle mod, Edge, Crazy Spartan (112 lsa), 2800, DTT 4:10, TCI Floor Shifter, Shift lite, Pacesetter Ceramic LT's, Magna Spun Cats/SI/DO Muffler, Mcgaughys 2/4.5 spindle kit, Monroe shocks, Caltracs, Aeon springs bumps, SRT-10 gage pillar, air horn

Last edited by Redtruck-VA; 05-22-2011 at 02:28 PM.
Redtruck-VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 10:26 PM   #83

OklaHemi

Garage
Sweetness greg, im glad you are getting your drop lower

Old 05-22-2011, 10:35 PM   #84
SmokedRam
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to SmokedRam
Originally Posted by OklaHemi View Post
wow i bet that had to suck..what was the creamer for
it helps soothe your eye when you have a case of flash, dont know exactly how, but it works.
SmokedRam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 10:41 PM   #85

Redtruck-VA
Turbo Member

Originally Posted by OklaHemi View Post
Sweetness greg, im glad you are getting your drop lower
Mike, It'll take some time to get it the way I want it.

Thanks,

PI_greg 2003 SXT-Hemi, SS/T rims, 275/60-17, AeroForce, w/wideband, 6.1 ignition, K&N-77 CAI, Fastman TB, eFan, 180 stat, TMR, HD OEM Trans Cooler, SC3865/PSC1, Dual window switch/ high idle mod, Edge, Crazy Spartan (112 lsa), 2800, DTT 4:10, TCI Floor Shifter, Shift lite, Pacesetter Ceramic LT's, Magna Spun Cats/SI/DO Muffler, Mcgaughys 2/4.5 spindle kit, Monroe shocks, Caltracs, Aeon springs bumps, SRT-10 gage pillar, air horn

Old 05-22-2011, 11:02 PM   #86

OklaHemi

Garage
I can appreciate that. I like how you mod greg, You do it right and with proper intentions. Not just slapping shi tv together hoping it works. And you are a great guy to learn from

Old 05-22-2011, 11:14 PM   #87

RamSport97
V6 Member

Name: Patrick
Send a message via AIM to RamSport97 Send a message via Yahoo to RamSport97
Looking good Greg, this is definitely the old school way of doing it.

Save the wave!

RamSport97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 07:07 AM   #88

Redtruck-VA
Turbo Member

Mike, thank you for the kind words, very much appreciated.

Patrick, it is old school, as back in the day there weren't many parts available to buy so we just made do with what we had. i don't advocate lowering vehicles using primarily spring drops as spindles do a better job. But adjusting that final fit I see whacking the spring as the way to get it right.

Safety note: Gentlemen, take care of your eyes. As a retired machinist and having had metal removed and welding flash burns I'll put it simple. In your younger years the damage you do to your eyes will come back to you as you age and you may very well lose your eye sight. I have cataracts and have had lens replaced and still I am losing my vision. When doing your projects at home or in the shop wear your safety glasses, it's that simple.

Old 05-23-2011, 04:20 PM   #89

Redtruck-VA
Turbo Member

The flip kit has a 4-1/2 hole that I moved to this morning. Took about 20 minutes, jacked the rear up about 8 inches using a floor jack to take the load off the springs. Loosen the bolts, flex the spring by hand and pull the bolt, push the spring up to the next nole and slip the bolt back in the higher hole. Tighten the nut and repeat on the other side. The truck sits almost level with the ass a 1/4" higher than the front side to side it's level. The ride is firm but not harsh, the suspension is done......

Old 05-23-2011, 05:22 PM   #90

AWE Daniel
Florida Chapter Vice President

Name: Daniel
Originally Posted by Redtruck-VA View Post
the suspension is done......
hmmm well see lol