Sponsored Ads
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

<<<<<< Register to remove these ads >>>>>>

Go Back   South East Mopars Forum > Mopar Models > SUV Forum > Jeep
Become a Supporting Member         Become a Preferred Vendor

Closed Thread

Old 06-03-2012, 01:20 PM   #11

HammerZ71
Newb

Sadly, I'm seeing about the only good that came out of Daimler (Mercedes) ownership was the transmissions. Not perfect but a damn sight better'n them older Mopar transmissions...
Old 06-03-2012, 01:31 PM   #12
Onk
Viper Member

Garage
Thread has been cleaned up and is back on track.

You are good Hammer!
Old 06-03-2012, 01:36 PM   #13

HammerZ71
Newb

Thanks, Kev...

As I get going with the rebuild I'm obviously gonna do up to date posts over on the forum I run, but I'll do updates here as well, maybe just not as up to date.

I figure as I learn on this rebuild it'll help others. LOT of 4.7 owners 'round here...

Last edited by HammerZ71; 06-03-2012 at 01:39 PM.
Old 06-03-2012, 03:15 PM   #14

BAD HABIT
President - Admin

Name: Jay
Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to BAD HABIT
It's unfortunate that we do have these problems with any make or model. Just sucks when it happens period, good luck Ed were all counting on ya.

BAD HABITS BADASS EVO ON TAPATALK TRANSPARENT...

Old 06-03-2012, 08:07 PM   #15

HammerZ71
Newb

Yeah I'm just hoping this rebuild kit ain't junk. But I was just under $640 to the door for everything less the two pumps. The kit is all DNJ except the timing kit which is PCI.

I've never heard of either of 'em, but then again I'm just an old lift and bolt-on mods guy.

I priced everything thru Mopar and I would have been at $2100 WITH ONLY replacing the one damaged piston. This kit I bought has all 8!

Last edited by HammerZ71; 06-05-2012 at 07:07 AM.
Old 06-05-2012, 07:10 AM   #16

HammerZ71
Newb

Update:

Half the kit arrived yesterday, Rock Auto sent me the box with the valve seals overnight (but only charged me ground) so I could get the seals out with the heads to the shop for rebuild ASAP.

Except for the gaskets (which were made in Taiwan) all the components were domestic. I was particularly impressed with the pistons, which not only weighed out dead on but were teflon coated...
Old 06-21-2012, 02:15 PM   #17

repoman
V8 Member

Name: nick
is it done yet?!?!?!
Old 06-23-2012, 06:20 PM   #18

HammerZ71
Newb

Originally Posted by repoman View Post
is it done yet?!?!?!
Nope but for a good reason.

My out-of-work since November ass finally landed a F/T job. Tech at a Corvette/classic car center. So I can at least pay for all the damn parts/work I've had to do on this Jeep!

The heads are back from the shop BUT my $380 quote turned into $500 when they wouldn't back the rebuilt heads unless they REPLACED EVERY VALVE SEAT on both heads. So I told them to go ahead and I have a 3 yr/100k warranty on the heads.

I've torn down the engine the rest of the way (I had only taken off what I needed to get the heads off previously). The full over-haul kit has been here for about two weeks now. I just bought new plugs/filters/fluids and only have to get a water pump and upper/lower radiator hoses and I'll have ALL the parts. It's a good thing I bought the FULL OVER-HAUL Kit because I found that the timing chain tensioner was broken which I hadn't noticed till I went to take the chains off.

Did a fine hone on all 8 cylinders this week and that was good enough to take the scratch completely out of the bad cylinder so all is good there. I have pistons 1-5 in right now, so I have three to go there.

We have a tropical storm in the gulf and it's been raining off/on here and coupled with working f/t it's killing my work time! Next weekend I have to go up to the farm in Georgia so I won't be able to work on it then. I hope to have it done over the following weekend...
Old 06-23-2012, 07:54 PM   #19

BAD HABIT
President - Admin

Name: Jay
Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to BAD HABIT
Good deal Ed, seems as though you are busy at work...keep it up and the jeep will be back on the road in no time...and then you'll be the 4.7 guru...

BAD HABITS BADASS EVO ON TAPATALK TRANSPARENT...

Old 06-24-2012, 12:39 PM   #20

HammerZ71
Newb

Just a heads up - seeing TOO MANY dropped valve seat threads popping up on DF, DAK and Jeep sites recently - mostly 1999-2002s as they are the ones getting up there on mileage to see them fail.

There is NO preventative steps you can take other than watch them operating temps!!!

Got a guy with a 2002 Ram on DF just laid out over $4000 to have his 4.7 rebuilt and they only had to re-man one head and only replaced one piston and that was at a local shop - not even dealer prices!!!!!!!!!!!
Closed Thread