View Full Version : What Pads and Rotors?

03 Rammer
02-16-2011, 10:54 PM
What would you put on your truck?

Im thinking about doing some wagner rotors and OEM pads or maybe EBC Pads. Not too sure yet.

SmokedRam
02-17-2011, 02:13 AM
Don't need them for the Ram at the moment, but I needed to replace the rotors and calipers on the S10 once...I used the Duracraft stuff...never had a problem with them. The only thing I was picky about were the bearings. I prefer Timken over anything else.

BAD HABIT
02-17-2011, 08:17 AM
i used brake motive on ebay, they had d&s rotors made by powerstop, and cleanride ceramic pads also made by powerstop, and the quality is on par with anything at your local autoparts store if not better, will be ordering a set for my taurus friday...i've heard the green and yellow ebc eat the shit outta rotors...

03 Rammer
02-17-2011, 10:20 AM
i used brake motive on ebay, they had d&s rotors made by powerstop, and cleanride ceramic pads also made by powerstop, and the quality is on par with anything at your local autoparts store if not better, will be ordering a set for my taurus friday...i've heard the green and yellow ebc eat the shit outta rotors...

Yeah I've heard about brake motive on ebay. But from what I can tell I hear some complaintes of warped rotors and the pads being very loud. I almost want to take the chance. But thats the samething I did a while back with just turning my rotors and putting on some wagner pads. Thought it would be nice and quite. But they werent lol

Im sorta leaning to some regular oem style rotors instead of the drilled an slotted ones.

BAD HABIT
02-17-2011, 10:50 AM
they are a lil louder than reg oem, but not that noticable i dont think, but then again, between the intake, exhaust and stereo i dont notice it...that being said they dont really make that much more noise than oem...ive been running mine for about 14months no issues yet...but like always its all up to what you the owner wants...

03 Rammer
02-17-2011, 10:58 AM
they are a lil louder than reg oem, but not that noticable i dont think, but then again, between the intake, exhaust and stereo i dont notice it...that being said they dont really make that much more noise than oem...ive been running mine for about 14months no issues yet...but like always its all up to what you the owner wants...

Very true lol. Well you know how loud my truck is and with the cut rotors and wagner pads I hear squeaking over my exahust. So yeah thats how bad these are and the pads are only like half warn. Not to mention I have a pulsating rotor in the rear causing the truck to bounce when braking. Sigh....

BAD HABIT
02-17-2011, 11:24 AM
yeah time for some new equipment...

03 Rammer
02-17-2011, 01:09 PM
yeah time for some new equipment...

For sure. Im still leaning towards OEM pads mainly because of what a few people I trust have told me about them. The rotors I think is my main issue now. Weither or not the drilled and/or slotted is really needed.

BassMaster
02-17-2011, 02:04 PM
Any decent Heavy Duty Rotors?

AWE Daniel
02-17-2011, 02:26 PM
Just stay away from the cheapos, I did my rear rotors and pads at my trusted shop here about 2 months ago, they turned my rotors and used cheapo pads, im still squealing, probably another few months before it stops too.

03 Rammer
02-17-2011, 06:29 PM
Daniel, for sure no cheapo pads here. The OEM pads at customer pay price are around 140-160bucks. But off course Im not a customer lol

So far for the rotors this is what I've come up with:

OEMS Rotors
Fronts 74 each
Rear 142 each
$432

OEM ROTORS
V-LINE Fronts 50 each
Rear 142 each
$384

Wagner Rotors
Fronts 100 each
Rears 107 each
$414

Mixed Rotors
V-LINE Fronts 50 each
Wagner Rears 107 each
$314

Brakemotive Rotors
295 all four?????? QUALITY OR NOT?????

http://motors.shop.ebay.com/brakemotive76/m.html?_nkw=2003+Dodge+ram+2500&_sacat=&_sop=1&_odkw=Dodge+ram+2500&_osacat=0&bkBtn=&_trksid=p3911.m270.l1313

BAD HABIT
02-17-2011, 07:59 PM
like i said i know a bunch of rams running the brake motives and havent had any issues, but from your list id run the vlines...and a ceramic pad maybe some mid grade ones...Aaron i just thought of something, your a 2500 w/ a cummins, thats alot more weight than the guys that are running the BM rotors so i cant speak on that, id have to check around and see who is running them with the same truck you got....

03 Rammer
02-17-2011, 08:39 PM
From what I've read online, most say with heavy trucks to stick with a solid or vented rotor. Since my stockers are vented kinda looks like I might stick with the oem style. I've heard a few incidents where the drilled and slotted rotors broke on a 2500 and also became worped in a few months due to the more braking the 2500s require. Also found out that larger trucks, commercial use and police use should use a metalic pad and not a cermaic pad. mmmmm

BAD HABIT
02-18-2011, 07:19 AM
i wonder why...

txbass06
02-18-2011, 09:29 PM
Just put a set of Wagner rotors and ceramic pads on mine this afternoon. Semi-Metallic or Ceramic is completely up to you. You shouldn't have any issues with a good quality set of either

03 Rammer
02-18-2011, 10:33 PM
Im def going with OEM pads non v-line. 190 out the door for both sets. Also reading up on some more reviews and help guides. Sounds like I might get some drilled only rotors. Mainly because overheated rotors cause warping and I have that problem in the rear with one or two warped rotor(s). The drilled holes and vented rotors will help greatly cool the pads. I read the slotted rotors actually can wear the pads faster because of the edges. Also said that a vented, drilled, slotted rotor isnt as strong as a vented drilled or solid vented. I found some rotors on ebay that are vented and drilled only. They still come with pads however which I could either ask not to recieve them and pay less or sell them to someone. Let me find the link to them.

03 Rammer
02-18-2011, 10:43 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2-Front-2-Rear-Drilled-Only-Brake-Rotors-8-Ceramic-Pads-/280624472445?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item415685a17d
And
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2-Front-2-Rear-Drilled-Only-Brake-Rotors-8-Ceramic-Pads-/270696001653?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3f06bd3075

I sent them a message asking if they sell the package as rotors only.

Also found these not sure about what metal that is and if its any good for the HD trucks
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2003-2008-DODGE-RAM-2500-Sport-Drilled-Brake-Rotors-F-R-/260736804870?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3cb51fe806

RamSport97
02-19-2011, 01:12 AM
I don't know if this applies for the 3rd gens, but on Summit Racing they are having a sale on Brembo Rotors, $50 a piece. I hear Hawk Pads are generally the best bang for the buck. Ofcourse Wagner is right there as well.

Edit- I guess they don't have $50 Brembo sale for your 2500.

03 Rammer
02-19-2011, 11:12 PM
^Thanks anyways. No were in the world sells rotors for 2500s cheap the cheapest I can get are 100 bucks and thats at my employee price. They do make a v-line like around 50 bucks but its a v-line thats all I got to say.

I found some drilled and vented rotors on ebay all 4 for 314 with pads. I messaged them and still no response on wither they can sell me just the rotors and no pads. I have the OEM pads at work ready to be paid for 190.66 out the door.

03 Rammer
02-21-2011, 10:07 PM
So I bought my pads today. Stayed with the OEMs. I got a SICK A$$ deal on them. Normally they would of been 191 my cost out the door for both sets but was able to do some wheelin n dealin with the boss and got both sets for 89 bucks! Not to meniton they would be like 350-450 normal customer pay price hehe.

So now for the rotors either brakemotive, brakelabs or brakeperformance. Well see who answers my questions first from them about selling rotors only. Brakeperformance has the best warranty which is lifetime against like everything.

03 Rammer
03-01-2011, 11:19 PM
Still waiting on them....Sigh They just got out of the zinc plating today and shipped out aswell. Boy do I need these bad, its seems they have gotten worse in the past 2 weeks.

03 Rammer
03-15-2011, 01:31 PM
I got them in and installed them a few days later. So far no issues and they brake nice and smooth. Not to mention my stopping distance is much better.

Smitty
07-20-2011, 02:03 PM
What would you put on your truck?

Im thinking about doing some wagner rotors and OEM pads or maybe EBC Pads. Not too sure yet.

I went with the EBC Ultimax a few months back. Better stopping power than OEM. Got them for the towing.

03 Rammer
07-20-2011, 06:39 PM
I went with the EBC Ultimax a few months back. Better stopping power than OEM. Got them for the towing.

Cool EBC is a great company, But I went with the OEM pads front and rear and Brakeperformance.com Slotted/Vented rotors. Havent had any issues, super quite breaking and stops alot quicker too now.

Smitty
07-20-2011, 06:41 PM
Cool EBC is a great company, But I went with the OEM pads front and rear and Brakeperformance.com Slotted/Vented rotors. Havent had any issues, super quite breaking and stops alot quicker too now.

:waytogo: