PDA

View Full Version : Wireless & PS3

BulldogsRT
05-04-2012, 12:27 PM
Maybe some one can help. I have Hughes net satellite internet. Before we left I had PS3 running of the wireless lynksys router and everything worked fine. Moved to Tennessee and tried access through the same set up and can't. Nothing has changed since we left. Everything hooked up the same. Went through the network set up in PS3 but won't connect. Can any one help?

Thanks

AWE Daniel
05-04-2012, 01:56 PM
Pm incoming

LB3711
05-04-2012, 05:58 PM
I use the wired connection on my PS3. More reliable.

Sent from my tapatalk equipped AT&T iPhone 4.

Rebel_Lady91
05-04-2012, 06:12 PM
my PS3 is hooked up wireless. maybe u have to reset it or it might need updating

AWE Daniel
05-04-2012, 07:11 PM
If you haven't deleted the old connection settings on the ps3 I suggest doing that, I'm sure your dns setting have changed but the ips are probably still the same.

johnnysart
05-05-2012, 05:54 PM
What Daniel said sounds about right. Any I would hard wire it instead no lag that way.

BulldogsRT
05-05-2012, 08:09 PM
Just got back from Elizabethton. I'm going to mess with it tomorrow so stand by for my yell and a little cussin. I never have any luck getting these kind of thing set up first time around.....lol

AWE Daniel
05-05-2012, 08:15 PM
Lol no problem

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?iks3gj

BulldogsRT
05-06-2012, 09:26 AM
my PS3 is hooked up wireless. maybe u have to reset it or it might need updating

Just went to the Playstation 3 web site and found that there have been two more updates since the last time I updated. I'll try updating first and see what happens. Thanks for the idea Paige. That hadn't even crossed my mind.

BulldogsRT
05-06-2012, 05:47 PM
Ok down loaded the update and instlled it then went through trying to sign in and set it up but no luck, Ready to throw it off the balcony when I remembered. When I played on line we use to have to turn off the wireless connection on the two lap tops because we have satalite internet which is not to much better than dial up sometimes. That would give me the extra band with to get on line. So that's what I did and it workes. Me thinks it's time to get wireless or high speed internet... Hughes net will sock it to us for droping the service early, but hay, this ain't any fun trying to download upgrades and the such.....Thanks for the help everyone...

AWE Daniel
05-06-2012, 06:08 PM
Yeah satellite internet blows chunks! Try to go with cable or if you can get Verizon Fios fiber optic, it is hella fast.

03 Rammer
06-06-2012, 10:09 AM
We have bright house road runner lightning up to 40mbps Been having an issues lately where everything will loose internet then come back again off and on. Then sometimes loose it all together. I have one of their guys coming out today. I'm having them run a dedicated line for internet into the modem and hopefully will have them move the modem inside the house instead of in the attic.

AWE Daniel
06-06-2012, 11:33 AM
Aaron it may seem weird but the best place for a wireless access point is above the area that needs it, so the attic is usually a good choice.

03 Rammer
06-06-2012, 11:39 AM
Aaron it may seem weird but the best place for a wireless access point is above the area that needs it, so the attic is usually a good choice.

Oh it is? Well I thought I heard that from somewhere and thats why I had he guy put it in the attic the first place. Every tech that comes out looks at me weird when I tell them its in the attic lol. Then I will just have them run the dedicated wire from the outside box to the modem so there i no more splitter. Thats what they are saying is causing the issues IDK. Only downside about having it in the attic is I cant have a wired connection for the PS3 only. Im sure I could get 50-100ft of wire and drop it down the wall but I can live without.

SmokedRam
06-06-2012, 12:10 PM
We have bright house road runner lightning up to 40mbps Been having an issues lately where everything will loose internet then come back again off and on. Then sometimes loose it all together. I have one of their guys coming out today. I'm having them run a dedicated line for internet into the modem and hopefully will have them move the modem inside the house instead of in the attic.

We also have been having similar problems with our 40mbps service...but they usually can't find any problems. Our modem and router are with 20 feet of where ever we are in the house with the laptop (living room/bedroom)....everything will be working fine, then BAM, every wireless device will lose internet access...normally I have to go out to the Florida room and reset the modem then power cycle the router thats attached to it.

AWE Daniel
06-06-2012, 12:49 PM
From what they told me in school the router broadcasts in all directions, including down, so having it above you supposedly beams the signal everywhere you need it. That's the theory anyway.

AWE Alex
06-06-2012, 04:05 PM
It's the same theory that applies in radio broadcasting. Radio signals propagate in 360 degrees on all axis', and the closer to the central point, the better the reception. For ideal coverage, you would center your broadcast station in the most central part of the attic, to provide the most coverage. The opposite is true too, wireless devices don't just receive, they broadcast back, so in order to do that, the receivers need the best connection. Line of site is best, of course, but not practical in modern houses, unless you run multiple receivers throughout the house.

In your case, the problem more directly lie in the splitter. Every single cable/Internet issue I have ever had in terms of connection, has lied in the fault of a splitter being used. If a line is being split between multiple duties, the capability of that line is reduced by the amount of times it is split, the only exception being fiber optic (it currently enjoys the highest rate of data transfer, so direct signal loss is negligible). Getting rid of that splitter will most likely solve a large portion of localized issues in your house. Connections outside your house, ie cable/Internet company transfer boxes, well, not much can be done about that.

AWE Daniel
06-06-2012, 04:19 PM
Lol Mr expert out of nowheres

AWE Alex
06-06-2012, 05:27 PM
I don't know a lot about a lot but I know a little about a little lol

SmokedRam
06-06-2012, 05:45 PM
^^^ Lol

ramthis9501
06-06-2012, 06:44 PM
Daniel, do you have Verizon internet? We're looking at it and I just want to make sure its good to go with.

AWE Daniel
06-06-2012, 06:48 PM
I don't have it but I have heard nothing but raving reviews if the fios Internet they provide, i live way out in the boonies and all I can get is att dsl, which I want to murder

SmokedRam
06-06-2012, 07:01 PM
I had FiOS, before switching to Brighthouse...my only complaint was the cost...I get more for less with Brighthouse...my FiOS bill would run nearly $190 a month...with Brighthouse I pay $145...and with Verizon, everytime I had a problem they would charge me $60 to come out to the house...Brighthouse is free, no contracts is a plus as well.

I just remembered, we still have all our FiOS equipment...LOL

AWE Daniel
06-06-2012, 07:39 PM
That is the tv and Internet bundle right?

SmokedRam
06-06-2012, 09:56 PM
That is the tv and Internet bundle right?

TV , internet and phone...one HDDVR in the living room, one digital HD box in the master bedroom, regular cable in the 2 kids rooms...+40mbps internet, unlimited local and long distance on the land line. But, we never use the landline.

When we were with Verizon FiOS, we had one HDDVR in the living room, one box in each of the kids rooms (3 total boxes, with whole house DVR), 36up/36down internet and unlimited local and long distance land line.

AWE Daniel
06-06-2012, 10:30 PM
Yeah that sounds about right on the price for all that, hell my directv alone is 130 a month

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

ramthis9501
06-06-2012, 10:56 PM
The deal we're looking at is internet only that will run about $60 or so a month... and that is the 15 mb/s and up!

AWE Daniel
06-06-2012, 10:57 PM
As long as you get the fiber optic stuff you should be fine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

03 Rammer
06-08-2012, 10:01 AM
They came out Wednesday as some on here already know. Spend 2 hours looking into it. The tech said it was a bad raido card inside the router which is a Ubee or something like that. He then replaced it with a Motorola one. Even though I didnt mind having the stuff up in the attic he said it might help to bring it inside the house. So we did, which then let me hardwired the PS3 in but... The next day our internet went out 3 times, still said we were connected but no internet access. Not to mention so far we haven't seen speeds anywhere near 40mbps.

What the tech said might be issues or what he is seeing was the following:
1. something in the area is disturbing the wifi
2. there is no dedicated line for the internet coming from the outside, just one that goes into a splitter. (The way it should be, when another tech said there should be 2 lines)
3. Different radio channels make a difference, he changed mine to 3???
4. moving it inside the house instead of in the attic inside the garage will help
5. speed test and brighthouse's speed test are not accurate

Any of that stuff BS???

AWE Alex
06-08-2012, 10:27 AM
All could be plausible, but number two seems suspect. I'm willing to bet the splitter is the issue and they don't want to run the line and are cutting corners.

03 Rammer
06-08-2012, 11:20 AM
Alex, The tech on the phone which sounded very educated said from the box on the outside there should be 2 lines running from the outside box to the inside of the house. One for internet and one for the tv splitter. When the tech came to my house he said that there is always one line coming from the box outside to inside the house then goes to a splitter, where one is to the tv splitter and one is for the internet.

AWE Daniel
06-08-2012, 04:28 PM
Did the tech fix your problem?

03 Rammer
06-08-2012, 04:32 PM
Did the tech fix your problem?

Yes and No.

Upload speeds are now 4.8mbps+ Download speeds are better but not where they are supposed to be. Probably be calling them again next time it goes out. Already went out 3 times yesterday. But not sure if its because of the weather.

AWE Daniel
06-08-2012, 05:56 PM
It's prob a problem on their end that they aren't willing to admit

03 Rammer
06-09-2012, 09:27 AM
Yeah thats what I figured, he said he honestly think there is something restricting the amount of mbps that I should be seeing. Still getting around 16-25mbps nothing higher, uploads are alot better but still. Will be calling AGAIN maybe for the last time. I would hate to switch to AT&T :(

AWE Alex
06-10-2012, 06:59 AM
I should have been clearer. The way you have it now has invariably caused me problems at all the different apartments I have lived in. Doing it the other way, one line for the Internet and one for the tv, that is the ideal way. Using one line to do both, with so much information involved, is causing the slowdown. They need to run that second line. That's what I meant by them being lazy. The tech you spoke to seems to know what's up, but getting a tech in the field costs them money, and it will be a decision of absolute last resort.

Either way, I hope they get it running properly for you!

AWE Alex
06-10-2012, 07:02 AM
Oh, and some companies willingly restrict bandwidth over their arbitrarily decided household limits. Around her, the cable company supposedly allows a 2gb limit before they choke it down. I haven't seen that, since I stream hours of Netflix, but I have heard of it being done. Think they might be doing that and not telling you? Cable/Internet companies play all sorts of games if you let them.