View Full Version : My dash cracks

SmokedRam
12-10-2010, 04:36 PM
So...sorry if these pics look crappy to you, but we lost our digital camera and I am using my new cell phone camera. But anyway...these are my dash cracks, I am going to be getting a coverlay for the dash in January, but I still want to find some way to fill these cracks, before applying the new coverlay...any ideas other than BONDO?

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q100/tstewartdepotphotos/bW1jMS9EQ0lNLzEwMFNTTUVEL1NTUFgwMDAyLmpwZw.jpg

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q100/tstewartdepotphotos/bW1jMS9EQ0lNLzEwMFNTTUVEL1NTUFgwMDAzLmpwZw.jpg

Onk
12-10-2010, 04:46 PM
if you add about 6 more cracks, you would be looking at my dash....

SmokedRam
12-10-2010, 04:52 PM
I am thinking about getting some of that mending fabric like you use to fill a hole in drywall and get some plastic filler so it will flex...I know the coverlay will attach to the stock dash with adhesive, but I dont want the old dash cover rattling under the coverlay...know what I mean?

BAD HABIT
12-10-2010, 04:58 PM
it wont rattle under the dash cover cause you glue the coverlay to the old dash and your supposed to lay glue along each side of the cracks and everywhere you can to get the best possible adhesion, after you put it in, lay a towel on it and a few bricks to get it to stay down, let sit over night and it should be good...

SmokedRam
12-10-2010, 05:02 PM
it wont rattle under the dash cover cause you glue the coverlay to the old dash and your supposed to lay glue along each side of the cracks and everywhere you can to get the best possible adhesion, after you put it in, lay a towel on it and a few bricks to get it to stay down, let sit over night and it should be good...

Thats good to know...thanks Jay...

Fla 66 cuda
12-10-2010, 05:03 PM
I have the same problem but i'm going to replace the dash mine is in so many pieces that an overlay is pointless.

blackshadow
12-10-2010, 05:05 PM
my last truck did that when the dealer worked on it and they had to replace the whole thing cause it wasn't broke before. They weren't very happy. I can tell you another thing you can't use a glue gun on it either it won't stick to the plastic.

SmokedRam
12-10-2010, 05:13 PM
I have the same problem but i'm going to replace the dash mine is in so many pieces that an overlay is pointless.

I looked into getting the whole dash...Geno's wants like $400 for one I believe...what do you do with the VIN plate when you do the dash? It appears as though it is riveted to the dash and not the cab itself...

SmokedRam
12-10-2010, 05:14 PM
my last truck did that when the dealer worked on it and they had to replace the whole thing cause it wasn't broke before. They weren't very happy. I can tell you another thing you can't use a glue gun on it either it won't stick to the plastic.
Thanks for the heads up on the glue deal buddy!!

Fla 66 cuda
12-10-2010, 05:20 PM
Absolutely i'm just going to put it on the new one with rivets and yes all the ones i have found are 300-400 plus shipping and you have to paint them to match. Thats why it's lower on my to do list.

SmokedRam
12-10-2010, 05:31 PM
Absolutely i'm just going to put it on the new one with rivets and yes all the ones i have found are 300-400 plus shipping and you have to paint them to match. Thats why it's lower on my to do list. gotcha..I am going to leave mine black...I think the black coverlay will contrast nicely with the tan...

blackshadow
12-10-2010, 06:41 PM
the one that they put in my truck was perfect match but it was also from dodge and the bill was 2500 but I didn't have to pay a thing, and believe it or not there not that hard to take out.

Storm Rider
12-10-2010, 07:47 PM
My 2nd gen Ram has 2 cracks almost identical to yours. I was wondering what to do about it. It is cosmetic and as things stand now it will have to wait a bit. Thanks for the help.

SmokedRam
12-10-2010, 07:53 PM
My 2nd gen Ram has 2 cracks almost identical to yours. I was wondering what to do about it. It is cosmetic and as things stand now it will have to wait a bit. Thanks for the help.

One of the cracks on the passenger side of the dash my mother in law made Saturday night. She thinks my truck is too high to get into and instead of using the OH SHIT handle on the inside of the cab she used the dash...

Fla 66 cuda
12-10-2010, 08:26 PM
Mine is missing big chunks lotsa cracks.

SmokedRam
12-10-2010, 08:27 PM
No offense 66, but I don't feel so bad now...LOL

Fla 66 cuda
12-10-2010, 08:31 PM
That dash was perfect last year this all happened in the last 11 months.I would be driving home from work and hear sounds like something rolling around in the ac ducts then i saw one crack then they went from there.Looks worse in person.

SmokedRam
12-10-2010, 08:33 PM
I hear ya on that...what aggrivates me is the large crack that it just in front of me always rattles...it pisses me off...lol

Fla 66 cuda
12-10-2010, 08:37 PM
You can guess how many rattles i have in a diesel on top of that.

SmokedRam
12-10-2010, 08:39 PM
Oh I can imagine.....

Fla 66 cuda
12-10-2010, 08:40 PM
Good thing i'm half deaf or it would drive me crazy.

SmokedRam
12-10-2010, 08:46 PM
LOL...Do you get asked to turn the Cummins off when you pull into the drive thru at the fast food joints?

Fla 66 cuda
12-10-2010, 09:18 PM
As a matter of fact it has happened my favorite thing to do when i had my first one in 95 was when i pulled into a conveniance store i parked right by the pay phones when some one was talking the looks i got what fun almost as much fun as hittin puddles in the curb and spraying the person on the side walk.

txbass06
12-11-2010, 01:13 AM
Mine only has one (surprisingly) but if I have to replace the heater core, I'll just do the dash at the same time

Fla 66 cuda
12-11-2010, 08:24 AM
My thoughts exactly while i have it out i'm going to replace both heater and evaporator cores it only makes sence.

strang3majik
12-12-2010, 12:03 PM
DO NOT USE NEW RIVETS ON THE VIN!!! lol

Seriously though...if you're getting a new dash, take your dash out and grind the rivets off from underneath and just stick them in the holes of the new dash and superglue the crap out of it to the dash.

If you put aftermarket rivets in it, and you ever go to sell it, it could cause problems. I had a buddy who took his truck to auction, brand new dash, but he used aftermarket rivets...they sold the truck under a caution light because of that. So, if you ever plan on selling it, careful.

Now...if your just getting an overlay...it has a cutout for the vin.

My dash...however, cracked right where one of the rivets for the vin is, and its dangling by the other and you can't even see it.

I emailed Dodge and told them they ought to offer a recall because all of them do it and I actually had a cop mention it to me, and they more or less told me, your truck is 10 years and 120,000 miles out of warranty. Sorry. So, I told them if I get hit with a ticket or something for it...they'll be getting it in the mail. And whats worse is my dad's 2003 Ram is doing the same thing...

yet...my 1968 cuda and my dads 68 Charger, his 1981 Dodge Mirada, my 1985 Dodge Omni and Charger....all have the original dashes and they're perfect.

Oh....and if you go up north, they're all in descent shape. I was in the junkyard up there, and beat to crap work trucks had perfect dashes in them. So...I'm thinking about getting one next time I'm up there. Oh...and my black plastic bezel is broke all to hell to.

Sorry...very sore subject with me...lol

strang3majik
12-12-2010, 12:06 PM
Ah....and for you who's dashes are not cracked yet, and for those installing new ones...

I saw a guy down here in FL with a truck that sits out in the driveway, and has since 1999, with a perfect dash. Asked him his secret...he said he just loosened all the bolts along the front a few turns to let the dash flex.

It apparently worked...so...just letting you know.

Fla 66 cuda
12-12-2010, 01:54 PM
Thanks i thought of the rivits after i said that i will do your sugesstion and i have heard about leaving the screws loose.