View Full Version : Possible throttle position sensor starting to go out?

SmokedRam
10-25-2012, 05:15 PM
So, Monday, I noticed that sometimes (maybe once every 10 redlights) after I come to a stop, my RPMs will surge a little above and below my normal idle RPM.

Everything I have searched for, leads me to believe that my TPS is starting to wig out on me, what do you guys think? It hasn't gotten to the point where it's throwing a CEL yet, but I'm the kind of dude who doesn't wanna wait til it does.

Truck info:

2005 Ram 1500
4.7 engine
53,8xxx miles.

I cleaned the throttle body the weekend before last, but only cleaned the throttle plate and sprayed TB cleaner on a rag and cleaned the inlet. Never sprayed anything anywhere else on the TB. Truck ran fine after that, til this past Monday.

RamminRon
10-25-2012, 07:57 PM
I would Try an Induction service first...probably not TPS...if anything Idle air control but I think it 's just still dirty in there

speedy
10-25-2012, 08:27 PM
I had this happen after I cleaned mine once. I cleaned it one more time real well using almost a whole can of tb cleaner focusing more around where the idle air control valve is and around the throttle position sensor. I let it dry out all the way then put it back on. Problem was solved. I guess the valve was dirty and having issues opening or closing. I was just glad it cleared up.

You may can try resetting the PCM. Good luck.

Fla 66 cuda
10-26-2012, 03:20 PM
Thanks Adam your problem is contagious day before yesterday going to work my truck started to act like i was feathering the throttle at speed [200-300 rpms] today it was doing it worse and at speed and idle,coming to a light slow to a stop rpms at 900 drop to 600 surge to 700/800 drop back to 600 and stay there. Gonna change the TPS and clean the shit outta the throttle plate,IAC ect.

SmokedRam
10-26-2012, 04:05 PM
HAHA, I picked up my new TPS today on the way to work...seems to be doing it worse now with the surging. It stalled on me twice last night on the way home, when slowing down coming to redlights.

Seems as though my problems are textbook TPS symptoms. I am gonna install it tomorrow and report back here.

FL06SRT10
10-26-2012, 05:37 PM
My vote is IAC got some crud in it when ya cleaned the tb... I would spray the crap out of it be gentle with it they are easy to break.

RamminRon
10-26-2012, 05:49 PM
TRYED TO SAVE YOU SOME MONEY....CLEAN OUT TB and IAC....this is not a normal symptom of TPS

AWE Daniel
10-27-2012, 12:30 AM
I dunno if this is related but I have always read to not use throttle body cleaner when cleaning, suppose to use non-chlorinated brake parts cleaner. Maybe that's what caused it?

SmokedRam
10-27-2012, 01:41 AM
Only reason why I am stuck on it being the TPS is because I have personally talked to 3 other 4.7 owners that experienced the same exact symptoms I am, and they replaced the TPS for it to be good as new.

Daniel, I heard that too, however that is with the Hemi throttle bodies, since the TPS is not serviceable in them, the brake cleaner doesn't allow them to be harmed .

SmokedRam
10-27-2012, 06:36 PM
New TPS installed...all surging and stalling is now GONE...she purs like a kitty right meowwwww....lol

Fla 66 cuda
10-27-2012, 07:56 PM
Great i hope i have the same results.

SmokedRam
10-27-2012, 09:43 PM
Hope you do too Lou...make sure you check the sensor with your old on before you leave the store, though...lol. The guy at Advance...I put the sensor on, truck wouldn't crank, just sat there and rotated. Got it to start, then took it for a test drive....it wouldn't shift out of first.

Pulled the TPS back off, looked at the box, the part number was right, but the TPS itself didnt look AT ALL like the one I took off.

Took it back to Advance, someone put the wrong TPS in the box...they exchanged it out for the correct one. Installed it, reset the PCM, now shes running great. MUCH better acceleration, much better idle.

Thanks for the help guys!

FL06SRT10
10-28-2012, 12:47 AM
Glad u got it fixed! I didn't think it was the tps that surprises me.

Fla 66 cuda
10-28-2012, 04:02 PM
Changed mine today seems better at idle but have not road tested it yet. That will be my drive to work tomorrow.I plan on removing the throttle body and cleaning it really well in the next week,including the idle control thing.