View Full Version : My 4.7L is eating me

speedy
09-14-2012, 10:43 PM
Sorry for the long post. I have the 4.7L in my ram. Its weak, slow, did i mention weak and slow.. Over the 6 years i have owned it since new I have done regular maintenance, cleaned the tb numerous of times, ran True gas, Sea foam and everything that was recommended by the forums. I have added a few things to help it but it seams like nothing has helped enough to justify the amount i have spent.

Here is what i have done. Shorty gibson headers, Ram air intake, & a Superchips VIVID tuner that i have not been able to run(superchips problem ongoing 5 months now). Well anyway 6 years later i am tired of spending money on mods that aren't helping at all. I only have myself to blame. I am really kicking myself now for not getting the HEMI. Even though i was not able to afford the note at the time i bought the truck. Anyway today was the last straw. My truck is so dang slow. A KIA out ran me. Yes i believe it was a kia optima. It hurt.. So all day it has had me wanting to get rid of my truck. I've never owned anything "fast" in my life. I always have had to buy the smaller engine because i couldn't afford the notes on the bigger engines. I honestly dont want to get rid of my ram but i really cant stand it any longer.

The good thing is the truck is paid off. Bad thing is i dont want another note for awhile. So i have been thinking about maybe finding a hemi engine to build a little bit at a time. i have no idea what is involved in the swap as in wiring, computer, etc. I have heard a few people doing swaps but never looked into it until now. I am pretty mechanically inclined. i have built a few older chevy 350 engines and with a little help i positive i can do this. What do you guys think? Worth it? Too much of a hassle? Please voice your opinion. You cant hurt my feelings anymore than what they already are lol..

Thanks guys

Onk
09-14-2012, 11:09 PM
Wow. That's shocking to hear. I had that same motor in RamIt and thought it was plenty powerful and fast. My truck was lifted 9 inches and running 40's and I could break them loose. I had full exhaust k&n Cai superchips and it was geared. It certainly wasn't a dog. It could keep up with jays truck which is also the same motor with superchips gears a Cai and exhaust.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SmokedRam
09-15-2012, 02:55 AM
I love my 4.7...maybe give an 08+ 4.7 a shot...I know the 2012 4.7 has quite a bit of power, the one I drove for a rental really impressed me.

LB3711
09-15-2012, 07:26 AM
my 02 4.7 in my dingo felt under powered too. 5 sp tranny with 3.55 gears and it felt like a dog too. I had a CAI, tuner, and cat back. Even after a tune up same thing. Couldn't break the tires loose at all. Now the second gen 4.7 should be better. Now I have a 4th gen hemi and theres a big difference.

garner
09-15-2012, 04:10 PM
I would try some 4.56 gears and a torque converter

AWE Daniel
09-15-2012, 05:32 PM
A Hemi swap is gonna be expensive, it would probably be better to find a Hemi truck.

Silverbullet08
09-15-2012, 08:28 PM
better to just trade and get a hemi. a swap is too much of a pain.

and if you really want to go fast. dont get a truck and go to the sports car world :D

BAD HABIT
09-16-2012, 08:36 AM
I've heard this a lot before, hemi motors can be had for about 1k used to 4k new, wiring harness and computer out of a wrecked truck about 300, I've looked into this myself, lately a 392 swap has had my research...

BAD HABITS BADASS EVO ON TAPATALK TRANSPARENT...

FL06SRT10
09-16-2012, 08:58 AM
better to just trade and get a hemi. a swap is too much of a pain.

and if you really want to go fast. dont get a truck and go to the sports car world :D

+1 or get a used SRT10 :)

speedy
10-07-2012, 08:34 PM
Yeah i kind of brushed this off. I'm with you guys. It would be too much of a pain. I guess i was still steaming at the time. But I have started looking at newer rides. The new rams are looking pretty sweet but i think i'm going to wait until i save enough for a down payment and a few more extra dollars for some goodies.

4XLGator
10-07-2012, 10:35 PM
Sounds like a good plan. Good luck.

RamminRon
10-07-2012, 10:38 PM
A Hemi swap is gonna be expensive, it would probably be better to find a Hemi truck.

Have to agree about the swap...also instrument panel has to changed 4.7 and Hemi not interchangable from what I understand....kinda of surprising about the power issue...from what I know from the guys who have done what you have the power should be there, not Hemi power but respectable power ...my guess is your rearend is geared too high...while 456 gears sound good if it's an everday Driver I would go with 392 or 411 gears ...my guess is this would make it a more enjoyable ride for you

speedy
05-07-2013, 12:00 AM
Well an update lol.. Have decided to keep my ram and added a few things. 4.56 gears, truetrac and a hemifever custom engine and trans tune. It's a beast now compared to what it was. Pulls so much harder and shifts a lot quicker. Still managing to get 17mpg.

Storm Rider
05-07-2013, 07:22 AM
MPG and power, that is a great combo.

BAD HABIT
05-08-2013, 07:22 PM
Really, guess ill be looking to sell my superchips to buy a sct from hemifever...and a custom tune to boot...

on tapatalk from my GS3....

04hemi
05-26-2013, 12:15 AM
I've heard custom tune does wonders even to pretty stock trucks. I plan to hit up hemifever here soon

speedy
05-26-2013, 09:35 PM
You won't be disappointed. The only thing I have encountered is diablo is having some sort of issue with shift points and the rev limiter. User adjustment just doesn't stick. I'm trying to get diablo to look into it but no luck so far. Hemifever can adjust them but I hate having to go back and forth trying to dial it in just right.

BAD HABIT
05-28-2013, 05:18 PM
So you went diablo vs sct. I didn't think diablo made a tuner that supported 4.7 in early 3rd gen.

speedy
05-30-2013, 08:14 AM
Yeah they support 05-10. I think it was back in 2010 when they came out with the tuning.

I was more familiar with diablo so I chose the trinity.

BAD HABIT
06-02-2013, 01:08 AM
Snap! Guess ill look into a sct.