PDA

View Full Version : Questions on lube & other stuff.....

Rebel_Lady91
08-05-2012, 10:56 PM
As most of yall know i had my truck in the shop due to bad ball joints and alignment..they also did a courtesy inspection so i have some thing in the yellow and red..i was need yalls help on what would be the best stuff to use or buy.
Here is a list of the things in the red(Recommend Immediate Attention)
*Power Steering Fluid Level
*Brake Fluid Level
*Air Filter
Here is a list of the things in the yellow(Suggest Future Attention)
*Oil Level
*ATF Fluid Level
*Shock Absorbers/Struts/Suspension
*Steering Gearbox Components (has play in the gearbox)
*Tire Condition
They also told me i have a small exhaust leak

SmokedRam
08-05-2012, 11:01 PM
As most of yall know i had my truck in the shop due to bad ball joints and alignment..they also did a courtesy inspection so i have some thing in the yellow and red..i was need yalls help on what would be the best stuff to use or buy.
Here is a list of the things in the red(Recommend Immediate Attention)
*Power Steering Fluid Level ATF +4 Trans fluid
*Brake Fluid Level any Dot 3 Brake fluid
*Air Filter I would yank your stock box off and add a 14x3 air cleaner

Here is a list of the things in the yellow(Suggest Future Attention)
*Oil Level Castrol GTX High Mileage NO OTHER ADDITIVES
*ATF Fluid Level Advance Auto Parts ATF +4
*Shock Absorbers/Struts/Suspension If you want it to handle like stock, just use Monroe shocks, if you want better performance, get bilstein
*Steering Gearbox Components (has play in the gearbox)
*Tire Condition
They also told me i have a small exhaust leak

See my replies in red...as for the gear box, I know there is a small adjustment you can make on the gear box, but I would make sure it's really not play in the actual steering shaft first.

Rebel_Lady91
08-05-2012, 11:11 PM
i can get most of this stuff from walmart right??;....thanks for the info adam! :)

SmokedRam
08-05-2012, 11:27 PM
Sure can, everything but the Advance Auto Parts ATF +4, but the WalMart brand Super Tech is the same exact stuff.

Rebel_Lady91
08-05-2012, 11:36 PM
good thing i love advance auto..lol i didnt know walmart had bilstein shocks?? i thought u had to go on their website...what should i look for on my gearbox and if it is my shaft what should i also look for

SmokedRam
08-05-2012, 11:40 PM
good thing i love advance auto..lol i didnt know walmart had bilstein shocks?? i thought u had to go on their website...what should i look for on my gearbox and if it is my shaft what should i also look for

Ahhh on the shocks, yeah, you gotta go to the parts store for them. Advance can get the Bilsteins.

As for the steering box, do you ever hear any clicking when turning the wheel?

SmokedRam
08-05-2012, 11:42 PM
Here are some instructions on adjusting the steering box

Tools Needed:

16mm Open End Box Wrench
4.5 or 5.0 hex key.
Maybe some Brake Cleaner for the dirty ones

Step 1:
If the box has dirt and other debris on it you are going to want to spray the box down with brake wash to remove most of the dirt. Make sure you clean the top of the box.

Step 2:
On the top of the steering gearbox you will see a large bolt located on the top near the middle. This is the 16mm bolt that you will need to lossen.

Step 3:
Insert the Hex Key into the top of the nut and point it to wards the front of the truck. Then loosen the 16mm nut about 1 or 2 turns. Keep the hex key pointed to the front.

Step 4:
Either have another person sit in the truck and wiggle the wheel back in forth while you tighten the screw or get up and down a lot to take up the play. You should only adjust the screw about a 1/4 turn at a time. A 3/4 turn will roughly take out 2 inches of slop. Don't tighten the hex too tight or it may cause damage to the steering box. The steering should be tight but not so tight that when you are finished that you have to muscle the wheel.

Step 5:
After adjusting the screw. Hold the hex in the position where you adjusted it and tighten the 16mm nut. Nice and snug. DON'T OVER TIGHTEN.

Step 6:
Start the truck and check for any leaks. Test your steering see if you still have play. If so you can repeat the steps to get rid of most of it.

SmokedRam
08-05-2012, 11:52 PM
Also moved the thread to the Gen2 engine and Performance subforum... :)

Rebel_Lady91
08-06-2012, 12:01 AM
Thanks Adam!! What would i do without your advice :) thanks again butterbean :)

SmokedRam
08-06-2012, 12:09 AM
Anytime Paige!

Rebel_Lady91
08-06-2012, 12:25 AM
i havent heard any clickin noise when i steer i dont think

NJHemiGirl
08-06-2012, 04:16 PM
Paige, I can get Bilsteins.

Do you want me to see what kind of price I can get for you? See if I can save you a couple of dollars.

Fla 66 cuda
08-06-2012, 04:17 PM
Paige first check your steering components lay on the ground at the front of the truck have someone move the steering wheel back and forth [slightly] while you look at the tierod ends,idler arm,pitman arm. There shoud not be any up and down movement in the idler arm or pitman arm the tie rod ends should have no up and down movement either. Have you ever replaced any of the parts i mentioned? If not probly would not be a bad idea [check out rock auto on the internet] they have the best prices [except for shocks].

Rebel_Lady91
08-07-2012, 12:50 AM
Paige, I can get Bilsteins.

Do you want me to see what kind of price I can get for you? See if I can save you a couple of dollars.

That would be great Gail! Thanks :)

Paige first check your steering components lay on the ground at the front of the truck have someone move the steering wheel back and forth [slightly] while you look at the tierod ends,idler arm,pitman arm. There shoud not be any up and down movement in the idler arm or pitman arm the tie rod ends should have no up and down movement either. Have you ever replaced any of the parts i mentioned? If not probly would not be a bad idea [check out rock auto on the internet] they have the best prices [except for shocks].

No i havent replaced any of those parts..thanks i will check them out

NJHemiGirl
08-07-2012, 08:13 AM
OK, I'll see what I can do.

2wd or 4wd? And, no suspension kit (lowering/leveling), right?

In addition, I don't believe Advance carries Bilsteins, at least not in every store. Their popular brand is Monroe. I'm not a fan of those.
I do, very highly, recommend Bilsteins. I put them on my truck several years ago and I am extremely pleased with their performance and longevity. I haven't had any problems with them since, and the ride is smooth and comfortable. It also helped a great deal with 'death hop'.
These are the ones I recommend to all my customers, as well.

Rebel_Lady91
08-07-2012, 02:40 PM
My truck is a 2WD and no suspension kit on there

NJHemiGirl
08-07-2012, 11:10 PM
Paige, I can get Bilsteins for your truck for $59.95 each.

Shipping for four would be about 12.00.

AWE Daniel
08-08-2012, 12:25 AM
That's a good discount, I'll have to keep you in mind if I ever get around to replacing my front shocks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Rebel_Lady91
08-08-2012, 03:10 AM
wow that is really good discount

NJHemiGirl
08-08-2012, 09:39 AM
Just let me know when you are ready, and I can have them shipped directly to you.

RamSport97
08-08-2012, 04:00 PM
All of Adam's suggestions are spot on.

Definitely go Bilstein if you can swing it. Best shock for the money bar none. Koni Adjustables and QA1's are better, but also a ton more money.