PDA

View Full Version : New here...reqs?

WarEagleFanatic
04-18-2012, 08:21 AM
I’m getting ready to lift my truck. I used to be the type to just level it and put some 24” rims on and be done with it, but then I saw a picture of Ramstrat’s truck. To me, that’s what a truck is supposed to look like. Everything looks very proportional. So now I’ve decided to get mine up that high. I’m in somewhat of a bind though. I know absolutely nothing when it comes to lifting a truck. I know a lot of people here feel 2WD down, 4WD up. My truck will be paid off in a few months so trading it in isn’t happening. I have a 2006 Dodge Ram Mega Cab 1500 2WD. Finding lift kits is a little tough. A lot of sites won’t let you specify Mega Cab. Do I need to be searching for a kit for a 2500 instead? I’d like to be able to put 40” tires on it, safely. I’m guessing I will need a body lift too. I’ve read the gears chart and know I’ll need to get 4.56 gears put in. Can I go ahead and lift it without the gears for now, or will I do major damage? I know the gears will help with MPG, but I don’t think anyone with a Ram is overly concerned about MPG or we wouldn’t be driving a Ram in the first place. My truck will never be going off road. I just love the way a lifted truck looks. Any suggestions to help me find the right lift and associated parts? It's pretty much stock now except for exhaust and CAI. Thanks for any help!

Ms.MagnumSLT
04-18-2012, 10:40 AM
Welcome to SEM! Im sure Kevin will chime in and give you some help on this.I agree the look of a lifted 2wd is pretty awesome.

4XLGator
04-18-2012, 11:07 AM
Welcome to SEM! I'm sure some of us can provide you with some input to help you out with lifting your truck. To help get you started, I will offer the following.

I believe I have read that the 1500 MC's are set on a 2500 frame. However, I would suggest you research and confirm before you order any parts and/or a lift kit. I would suggest you search the Internet and I would highly recommend you call a couple of the lift manufacturers you're interested in and discuss this directly.

I am sure you will need to do a body left in addition to a suspension lift. Kevin's (RamStrat) truck has a FabTech 6" lift and a 3" body lift, I believe. And he is 2WD also. I'm sure he will chime in soon and provide additional input.

I didn't check out your profile yet but if you are in the Tampa, FL area (judging by your username I assume you're in AL though) we can recommend a good shop that specializes in lifting trucks, among other things.

Again, welcome to SEM! And please introduce yourself and your truck (pics please!) in the 'Introduction' section when you get a chance.

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?jch0hm
Sent from Lee's iPhone4 using Tapatalk

WarEagleFanatic
04-18-2012, 11:40 AM
I found a 6.5" suspension lift this morning by CST. I've been searching around a few months, and I think that's as good as it's going to get for me without having to get a custom lift. I went ahead and ordered it. I got free shipping and it was a good overall price. The 1500 Mega Cab is on a 2500 frame. I'm going to go month by month ordering parts. Now I've got to figure out proper sizing for wheels and tires. I'd still like for suggestions to role in that could help with handling and things of that nature.

I used to live in Alabama. Unfortunately, I had to move to PA because of work. Within a few years, I will be moving to Florida. Tampa's always been where I want to live. I make a few trips there every year.

WarEagleFanatic
04-18-2012, 11:54 AM
First time adding an attachment so hopefully it works. It's a pic of before I got my exhaust installed.

SmokedRam
04-18-2012, 01:09 PM
Welcome to the club...my uncle also has a 1500 Mega Cab!

AWE Daniel
04-18-2012, 01:22 PM
Welcome!

NOTPAID4
04-18-2012, 01:26 PM
http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii247/deboyacej/x1-1.gif

SmokedRam
04-18-2012, 03:43 PM
Does yours have a 3.73 rear gear or 4.10's? If it has 4.10's, I wouldn't worry about regearing.

4XLGator
04-18-2012, 03:59 PM
^ wouldn't worry?

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?koati2

SmokedRam
04-18-2012, 04:02 PM
FML...Fixed...lol

Onk
04-19-2012, 03:44 PM
Welcome to the family. Thank you for the compliments about my truck. "RamIt" has a log of fans and I'm glad it's been an inspiration to you. Sometimes I think people know my truck better than I do. Lol. So far everyone is correct. My truck is 2wd and I'm running a fab tech 6" suspension lift and a 3" body lift. I am currently rolling on pit bull rockers 39.5x16.5son a pacer baja, 20"x12" polished aluminum rim (which I will be selling here very shortly if you want to have first dibs on them.)

As for gears, my truck has 3.92s in it and I find they work perfectly fine. I have a K&N cai full magnaflow exhaust and I'm running the 91 super hips tune. My mpgs are a joke @ 9.7/gal but when you do what I've done to my truck you can't expect the mpgs anymore. My truck is a toy. It's my hobby. It will never get good mpgs. Lol

If you have any questions or if there is anything else I can help with please let me know. Once again welcome to the family and we hope you stick around!!

(On a side note we are going to be at the downtown palm harbor show this Saturday if you want to come out and meet some of us. (I didn't catch where you are located but if it's anywhere local, come on out.)

I also had a question. What picture were you referencing about my truck that you saw?

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?ewdipg

WarEagleFanatic
04-20-2012, 11:12 AM
I'd love to be able to attend, but I'm stuck living in Pennsylvania for the time being. I've requested to move back South, and my company has agreed to relocate me. Not sure when that will take place but it is happening. I've seen several of your truck's pics online so it's hard to narrow down or remember which site I saw it on first. Probably the one I likes the most was with it parked next to a tank. I average 12mpg now so gas mileage isn’t really an issue for me. I figure I’ll be around 8mpg once I get the lifting mods done. I’ll start upgrading the engine once I get the exterior and interior done.

I ordered a 6.5” lift kit from CST the other day, part # CSK-D23-5. I’m still searching around for a body lift, but think I may have found one. I’ve revised my tire size from 40” to 38”. I ran across some Mickey Thompson Baja MTZ Radials the other day and have decided to go with those, 38 x 15.50R20LT. These look like the tread life will last a little longer for me since I’ll almost always be driving paved roads. I did find a site yesterday that claims their 6” Fabtech lift will work on all cab sizes. If anyone knows anything about the CST lift I ordered and thinks it’s a bad idea, I can always send it back and order the Fabtech. Quality matters the most to me and doing everything correctly. I appreciate the offer on the rims, but they won’t work for me without a spacer. I have 8 lug wheels. Going to go with 20x9 KMC XD Series Monster Chrome 8x165.1. That’s if the dealer confirms they will work with my tire selection.

After scouring through all the posts here, it seems I can’t go wrong with Bilsten 5100 shocks. Not sure on the steering stabilizer yet.

From what I’ve gathered here, to get me up I’d need to do the below.

6.5” suspension lift
3” body lift
38” tires
20” rims
Steering stabilizer
Shocks

It’s going to take a few months for me to fund everything, but I wanted to go ahead and start ordering stuff or I’d never get it done if I saved up and did everything at once. I’m open to any and all suggestions and name brands to make this happen. Keep in mind, I’m no mechanic and have no experience with any of this which is why I’m asking for ideas here. Although, I did read how to clean my throttle body in DIY section and I’m pretty sure I can handle that one. Hoping to get a chance to do that next weekend. I’ll post pics of that when I clean it.

Thanks to everyone for any suggestions!!!

AWE Daniel
04-20-2012, 11:22 AM
The gold avenger next to a tank was me!

WarEagleFanatic
04-20-2012, 12:25 PM
I haven't seen that pic yet, but did look around online for it. People always call my truck a land yacht or tank so I thought it was kind of neat that his was really the size of a tank.

AWE Daniel
04-20-2012, 03:41 PM
Oh I thought you meant a literal tank lol

Onk
04-20-2012, 03:43 PM
There is a picture of RamIt next to my buddies tank. Before i got my truck painted. That's the picture he is referring to.

Onk
04-20-2012, 03:46 PM
You may want to doublecheck rim size using a 9 inch wide rim with anything over a 12 inch wide tire may cause the tire to balloon up.

WarEagleFanatic
04-20-2012, 05:42 PM
What width should I go with on the rims? I'm closer to being dead set on the tires than the rims.

BAD HABIT
04-20-2012, 06:01 PM
welcome to the SEM family, and for the record i say lay that mega on the ground, scrape pavement with the frame, body drop it with a full airbag set up....okay i got it out of me, now commence the lifting procedure....

Onk
04-20-2012, 07:05 PM
my current tires are 16.5 inches wide, and they are on a 12" rim. The 38's im looking at are going to go on a 12" rim (OR a 10" rim if I find one I like)

I, personally, wouldnt go anything smaller than a 20x10. That will give you a nice flat tire and it wont balloon up because if the rim being so narrow. With the bigger tires (anything 37"+ I wouldnt even consider a 9" width. I would stick to a minimum of 10" or a 12/14" even.

WarEagleFanatic
04-21-2012, 03:13 PM
I found the rims I want in 20 x 10. I can get them in 24 x 11, but then I have a problem finding my tires for 24". Basically, I should be good to go with the 20 x 10 rims and the Mickey Thompson tire size I mentioned? Tires are going to be my next purchase. Probably in about 2 weeks. I'm trying to do all the most expensive stuff first, and hopefully have everything associated with the lift done by August.

WarEagleFanatic
04-21-2012, 06:16 PM
I'm a little curious about the body lift. What difference does it make if my truck is 2wd or 4wd? I understand if it was for suspension, but it doesn't make sense for a body lift. I've been searching around online, and I'm having trouble finding a body lift. It's hard finding Mega Cab stuff. Can't I just search for a 2500 body lift regardless if it's 2wd or 4wd? That's how I searched for my rims.

WarEagleFanatic
04-25-2012, 01:12 PM
I talked to Fabtech's tech department today, and they confirmed that they do not make a lift kit for my truck. Looks like the CST kit I just received is the only kit out there for a 2006 2WD Dodge Ram Mega Cab 1500. Next on the purchase list is my tires. Hopefully I can buy them at the end of May. Out of curiosity, what range does everyone think I'm looking at for install? I haven't priced anyone yet since that's a few months away. I'm going to be having one shop do everything which includes suspension lift, body lift, shocks, steering stabilizer, and the tires and wheels. Everything I'm taking them will be straight out of the box. I guesstimated that install will be around $1,500. Am I close on my guess?

I've got an ex-mechanic that works with me, but has never done an independent suspension lift. My lift kit didn't come with new coil springs. He said I should be ok as the stock springs will work with my lift. Should I find some better quality springs though? Even if stock is "ok", I'd rather have quality over saving a few bucks.

SmokedRam
04-25-2012, 03:35 PM
Your mechanic is right...your kit comes with 3.5 inch lift spindles and 2" spacers (3" spacers for the 2500 and up Mega Cabs) (according to the CST site) So, you are only changing the geometry of the suspension with the spacers and only the shocks need to be changed...lift or drop spindles never change the geometry of the suspension and nothing else needs to be changed if you were only using them.

SmokedRam
04-25-2012, 05:07 PM
I'm a little curious about the body lift. What difference does it make if my truck is 2wd or 4wd? I understand if it was for suspension, but it doesn't make sense for a body lift. I've been searching around online, and I'm having trouble finding a body lift. It's hard finding Mega Cab stuff. Can't I just search for a 2500 body lift regardless if it's 2wd or 4wd? That's how I searched for my rims.

I see that Performance Lifts offers a Mega Cab 1500 capable 3" body lift kit, but it is, like you mention for 4WD models only. Link below:

http://performancelifts.com/cgi-bin/cart/PER60183.html

What I suggest is actually calling them and asking them if they have one for the 2WD...their number is:

Sales & Technical Assistance - (949) 629-3017

WarEagleFanatic
04-25-2012, 07:55 PM
Performance Lifts is the site I looked at earlier that stated on their site that their Fabtech lift worked on all cab models. I called Fabtech this morning and they said their lifts are only for 4WD. The CST lift looks like my only option, and I just received their 6.5" lift today. I called Fabtech after I received the CST lift just to be certain because I wanted to go Fabtech. I'm buying a 3500 Mega Cab in about 5 years so I'll be able to have more options then since I'll make sure it's 4WD. I'm taking all the components to work tomorrow so my co-worker/ex-mechanic can look over them and make sure I'm good to go. He doesn't have any experience with lifts on my truck, but he knows enough to tell me if it'll work or not.

I joined here because of the responses everyone's been providing. Everyone has been very insightful. To say it's been a challenge finding everything to lift my truck is a major understatement. I'd rather come here for suggestions from enthusiasts than a dealer. You guys may not have all the answers, but I'll trust you guys more than a salesman. That's not to put down a salesman, but the fact that everyone here has no gain in what I buy makes me feel better about recommendations.

I'm going down to Tampa Labor Day weekend, and 'm really pushing hard to get the lift completed by then so I can drive my truck down instead of flying. It'll be close, but I think I can pull it off.

SmokedRam
04-25-2012, 08:05 PM
Mike, don't forget that with that CST lift you bought, you're only going to clear a 33" tire...you can get a 35 in there with some bumper trimming.

WarEagleFanatic
04-28-2012, 09:29 AM
I wasn't aware that 33" was the max with my lift. I thought 37" was the max which is why I figured the body lift would help me squeeze my 38" tires on. I was hoping that with the 6.5" suspension lift and a 3" body lift I could avoid any bumper mods. I really appreciate the heads up! I'm not dropping below 38" tires. Getting my bumper trimmed, is that an expensive mod?

I tried calling the tech number you provided, but they're only M-F. I'll call them Monday morning. Thanks!

SmokedRam
04-28-2012, 03:35 PM
No, it's not expensive to trim the bumper. All depends on how it's done that decides the cost. Kevin's bumper is notched too.

4XLGator
04-28-2012, 04:50 PM
I would recommend a steering box brace over, or at least in addition to, a steering stabilizer. I mean stabilizers do help some and look really cool but from what I hear from guys that added the brace after the stabilizer, the brace makes all the difference in the world with a big, lifted truck.

I have about $300 in my Top Gun Customz dual steering stabilizer with Bilstein 5100 cylinders. They don't look much cooler than that but a steering box brace is definitely in my future.

And in case I haven't said it yet, best of luck with your build.

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?ki512b

WarEagleFanatic
05-06-2012, 06:45 PM
So I should get a steering box brace in addition to the upgraded stabilizer, or get the steering box brace instead of the stabilizer and stick with the stock stabilizer?

When I search for the steering box brace, I should search for one for a 2500 series?

4XLGator
05-07-2012, 09:50 PM
So I should get a steering box brace in addition to the upgraded stabilizer, or get the steering box brace instead of the stabilizer and stick with the stock stabilizer?

When I search for the steering box brace, I should search for one for a 2500 series?

I would do both. I'm going to eventually get a steering box brace for mine. In regards to if you should search for 2500, that I can't answer other than I would call manufacturers and ask.

WarEagleFanatic
07-04-2012, 05:46 PM
I've kind of put completion of my lift on hold. I'm moving in a few months to probably Missouri so I figured I'd hold off on the lift since I already get outstanding mpg. I've got the CST 6.5" suspension lift kit. Since I'm now finding out that 38" or 40" tires won't work, would ordering a custom lift be more feasible? I paid around $1,300 for my CST lift. My truck will be paid off in a few months. Would I be better served having a custom lift done so I could fit at least 38" tires, or would it be wiser to trade my truck in for a newer model that is 4 x 4? For the record, I originally had every intention of trading my truck in for a 2013 Mega Cab, but figured I could spend less doing mods that would essentially turn my truck into a "new" truck. I'm dead set on 6" - 8" suspension lift and getting 38" - 40" tires on. If the smartest move is to get a new Ram, then I'll go that route. But, I'd prefer to do everything to my current truck since it's almost paid off. The way I see it, I spend more time in my truck than I do at home. Why not be in something I really want.

Onk
07-05-2012, 08:17 PM
why not add a 3 inch body lift ontop of the suspension lift. Then you will be able to run 40's. I have 6inch suspension w/ 3 inch body and I clear 40's

SmokedRam
07-05-2012, 08:21 PM
I think he was having a hard time finding a body lift for the mega, Kevin.

WarEagleFanatic
07-10-2012, 09:07 PM
I found a body lift. A suspension lift and body lift was my intent all along. Maybe I misread some posts, but I got worried when I heard that only 33's would fit with my lift. I assumed the poster took into consideration I was doing a body lift along with the suspension lift. I feel a WHOLE lot better now.

I've heard talk of doing some fender trimming to reach my goal. What all does that entail, and what's a rough figure I'm looking at for that? Also, what can I expect to pay for the lift install minus the trimming? I've never done this before and I'm trying to get all my ducks in a row?

SmokedRam
07-10-2012, 09:23 PM
Right, just with the suspension lift, according to CST this is what you will fit...
WE HAVE NOW DEVELOPED A 6.5" LIFT KIT FOR YOUR DODGE 2500 OR 1500/2500 MEGA CAB 2WD PICK UP. THIS KIT INCLUDES A 3.5" LIFT SPINDLE, STAINLESS STEEL BRAIDED FRONT BRAKE LINES, 3" URETHANE COIL SPACERS, FABRICATED REAR BLOCKS AND U-BOLTS, AND A PAIR OF CST PERFORMANCE SHOCKS. RECOMMENDED TIRE SIZE IS 305/70/17 ON 17 x 8 WHEELS W/ 5" BACKSPACE, OR A COMBINATION OF COMPARABLE HEIGHT. YOU WILL NOTICE A 315/70/17 TIRE INSTALLED ON THE PICTURED TRUCK BUT MINOR TRIMMING OF THE FRONT BUMPER WAS REQUIRED TO FIT THIS TIRE/WHEEL COMBINATION

Now that you found the body lift, you can clear larger tires for sure.

As for install cost, thats gonna vary...the mechanic here where I go to if I can't do something myself, you'd be looking at roughly $85 an hour labor...then if they charge for welding, it all depends on how they charge...some charge by the inch...

WarEagleFanatic
07-11-2012, 06:30 PM
$85/hour sounds really good. Does anyone have somewhat of a ballpark idea of what I'm looking at on install price? Matters not if the guess is with a welder or not. I can guess the welding portion myself. I assume Kevin may be the most reliable guess on pricing with this one since our trucks are somewhat similar.

Rebel_Lady91
07-12-2012, 03:46 AM
Welcome to SEM! Hope u stick around..your truck looks awesome cant wait to see it when your done

WarEagleFanatic
11-30-2012, 08:47 PM
I want to apologize. I didn't think it'd take me this long. I finally got all my parts in today. My tuck's going in the shop next Monday for the install. I'm hoping they can get it all done in 8 hours or less. I'll post some pics as soon as the lift is done. Thank you Ramstrat for the inspiration and advice!!! I'll list the exact parts model numbers after the lift is done. It was tough trying to figure out everything for my truck since it's a 2WD 1500 Megacab. I'll have the pic posted Tuesday...I hope.

Storm Rider
12-01-2012, 09:08 AM
Can't wait to see the pics.

4XLGator
12-01-2012, 05:07 PM
No need to apologize, we all have lives outside SEM that we lead. Good luck with the install. Hope all goes well and can't wait to see the after pics.

Sent from Lee's iPhone 5 via Tapatalk

Rebel_Lady91
12-01-2012, 06:48 PM
its all good cant wait to see the pics! :)

SmokedRam
12-02-2012, 12:55 AM
Good deal...can't wait to see pics!

Onk
12-02-2012, 01:37 AM
Make sure to take pictures.

WarEagleFanatic
12-07-2012, 07:01 PM
Got my truck out of the shop today. It's 54" from the ground to the door handle. Still have to do some body work. They did me a favor and cut and weld the bumper and fendor for free before I left this morning. The shop did great work! They'll be getting a lot more business from me. I realized real quick that new gears are the next thing on my list. Sometime this summer I'm adding headers and true duals. Until I get it in the body shop, I have to be careful not to turn the wheel completely. If I go all the way, it'll rub the fendor a little. I can't complain since they did the work for free and it took them 2 hours to do it. I got it done at Don's Performance in Harrisburg, PA.

SC DAKUDA
12-07-2012, 07:12 PM
Looks really good!!

WarEagleFanatic
12-07-2012, 07:17 PM
Here's the list of stuff done. I can't remember the name of the rims, but I'll edit this next week when I can pull the name off my receipt at work.

38.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Radial ATZ Tires
20" Rims
CST 6.5" Suspension Lift
Performance Accessories 3" Body Lift
Performance Accessories Steering Extension
Performance Accessories Gap Guards
CST Rear Shocks
The shop took my exhaust pipes off and redid them so they would sit closer to the bumper.
I bought Bilstein Steering Dampers, but they won't work on my truck so they're going back for credit.

4XLGator
12-08-2012, 08:27 PM
Looks awesome! I bet you're loving it...I sure did when I did tires, wheels and lift.

Sent from Lee's iPad3 using Tapatalk HD

WarEagleFanatic
12-09-2012, 04:24 AM
I've been wanting this done for over a year. It's almost like buying a brand new truck, but better. I still have to take it into the body shop to get the fenders and bumper done proper. At least it's drivable though. They did excellent work at the shop I took it to for the lift. I work with someone who spent over 10 years as a mechanic. He was very impressed by their work, especially their work on the fenders and bumper. The guy I work with that took these pics is gonna drive his car to work next week so I can take pics with my truck against it.