PDA

View Full Version : Truck is DOWN!!!

HammerZ71
11-15-2010, 05:07 PM
Well I gave the truck a once over last week before heading up to the farm for some deer hunting and spec fishin'. Changed the oil, cleaned the TB, and changed out the EGR even though I've not gotten a CEL yet, but at just shy of 50k miles, I figured it was due.

I've had a slight shimmy in the front, not bad, but noticeable anywhere above about 60 mph. So I decided to look into that and found a bad tie rod end on the drivers' side. I mean like over an inch of play in the tire bad!
Other side was tight as could be.

First problem I've ever had with the truck in six years!

Bad thing about this is, the tie rod is part of the Rancho lift kit, so the ends are larger than stock, so no going to Mopar dealer for it. I have a call into Rancho about getting a pair (at $53 retail I might as well get a spare), and still have not heard back from them!

So anyway, the Jeep made the journey just to be safe. That's WAY too much play in a tie rod end for me.

Had to stop by Tractor Supply for a hitch haul to tote deer with.

On the plus side, everything else looked great on the truck. Rack had no signs of a leak and pinion seal was dry as a bone. Header bolts all tight and that cheap paper gasket has no signs of failing yet after almost 4 years, LOL. Just the stupid tie rod end!!!

SmokedRam
11-15-2010, 05:15 PM
Man, those aren't fun when they break...had one on a 76 C1500 break on me when turning into the driveway.

Hope you get her back on the road quick though....

BTW: Where is your spec fishin hole at?

BAD HABIT
11-15-2010, 05:21 PM
back up in georgia....good luck with that hammer....

Onk
11-15-2010, 05:47 PM
Good Luck Hammer!

HammerZ71
11-15-2010, 10:21 PM
I got a couple places I speck fish. Our pond is fairly small, about 4.5 acres but has decent ones in it. I just try not to over-fish it.

My good buddy's grandparents have a huge farm with about a 36 acre pond that has some biguns'. I keep a small Bass/Hunter 10' ABS boat there. I have pics on my desktop I'll have to post up when I get back to Florida next week.
I what was just shy of the lake record out of Lake Blackshear up here I caught way back in '96, was 3 lbs, 5 oz. I think the lake record was two ounces bigger at the time.

Got a doe yesterday morning, not real big, but she'll eat. Saw a nice buck, I think I counted 8 points, but couldn't grunt him in out of the deep brush. Will be back out Thursday. Rain tomorrow, sposed to be REAL heavy, but speck fishin' Wed.

As far as the tie-rod end goes, I ain't heard nuthing from Rancho yet, left message after hours friday, felt for sure someone would get back to me today. Hopefully tomorrow.
Jeep is running like a champ though...

SmokedRam
11-15-2010, 10:26 PM
We used to speck fish out of Little Lake Harris up near Leesburg alot. We would take my uncles pontoon boat out there and anchor under the bridge...hang lanterns over each side of the boat and drop line in the light.

HammerZ71
11-25-2010, 06:04 AM
UPDATE: Talked to Rancho on the phone upon return to Florida yesterday. They are sending me out a tie rod end to replace the bad one PLUS a new one for the other side - FREE OF CHARGE! I should have them in 3-5 days...

OklaHemi
11-25-2010, 06:09 AM
cant beat free. that quality CS there

NOTPAID4
11-25-2010, 10:41 AM
OUCH... Good lucky thing you did a PM on that!!!! Best of luck gettin' 'er back in shape!

HammerZ71
11-25-2010, 10:51 AM
cant beat free. that quality CS there

Yeah, considering I bought and installed the lift in '05, I'd say sending out a free replacement PLUS one for the other side where there is still a good tie rod end is over and above expectations, especially these days.

I'm going to go ahead and replace both with new, have an alignment done and keep the good tie rod end off the passenger side as a spare...

Update on trip to the farm in Georgia. Ended up returning hitch haul, unopened, hunted with a buddy who has a Z71. Only shot the one doe, only got out twice. No pic (sorry) should have snapped one with my phone but didn't think of it till we were leaving processors. Speck fished once, caught about 40, kept about 20 of the bigger ones.
Temps ranged from lows in the upper 30s to highs in the mid 80s, caught a cold, which is now walking pnuemonia (which is why I only got out to hunt twice). Fun, Fun, Fun...

OklaHemi
11-25-2010, 12:54 PM
oh damn hammer i hoper you get to feeling better. are you even able to enjoy turkey day being sick? that really sucks

HammerZ71
11-26-2010, 10:38 AM
Thanks Okla. Yep, feeling like I got rode hard and put away wet. Spent most of turkey day in the bed.

I don't get sick often, usually it's about every 2-3 years between colds, but when I do, it seems to be a good'n...

HammerZ71
12-01-2010, 05:58 PM
Update II:

Tie rod ends arrived today, I will be installing them Friday morning in the driveway and have called and made an appointment for an alignment Friday at 1:30 PM...

SmokedRam
12-01-2010, 05:58 PM
awesome....

AParrette
12-02-2010, 11:45 AM
pics?

HammerZ71
12-02-2010, 12:15 PM
pics?

Of a couple of tie rod ends???

OK :shrug:

http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll301/hammerz71/102_0195.jpg

http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll301/hammerz71/102_0196.jpg

OklaHemi
12-02-2010, 01:23 PM
^^ i need a towel ^^

txbass06
12-02-2010, 01:36 PM
I've got that same hat lol

SmokedRam
12-02-2010, 01:47 PM
^^ i need a towel ^^

You my friend are easily excited...LOL

BAD HABIT
12-02-2010, 02:39 PM
black tie rod ends they look familiar

HammerZ71
12-02-2010, 03:16 PM
I can't remember, it's been over five years since I put the lift kit on and yanked off the stock ones. Are the stock ones greasable?

HammerZ71
12-03-2010, 04:33 PM
Final Update:

Got the tie rod ends on this morning, took it for an alignment. Cost $73 after tax. Drives like a champ, vibration over 65 mph completely gone.

On a side note, I have two phone numbers in my pocket from people wanting a call if I ever decide to sell my truck that I picked up today while there. One was from the tech who did the alignment, LOL...

SmokedRam
12-03-2010, 04:37 PM
LOL...that's a pretty big compliment isn't it? Glad to hear she is fixed up and rolling true...

HammerZ71
12-03-2010, 05:19 PM
Yep, I thought so. I'll have to snap a pic of the bad tie rod end. The thing was dry as a bone, boot cut up as hell. The one on the other side (which I am going to keep for a spare still had good grease in it and the boot was beat to shit, but intact.

I shot the hell out of these new ones with grease, will check 'em again at oil change time...