PDA

View Full Version : Need some help guys!

Rebel_Lady91
03-02-2012, 08:13 PM
i have a question when i hit 55 mph my truck starts to hop/jerk thats cant be good?? i think it might have something to do with the transmission.. help! :(

AWE Daniel
03-02-2012, 08:46 PM
Most likely a tire is out of balance

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?dicmy2

SmokedRam
03-02-2012, 09:24 PM
Where are you feeling the hop...your seat or your steering wheel?

old man
03-03-2012, 09:53 AM
i have a question when i hit 55 mph my truck starts to hop/jerk thats cant be good?? i think it might have something to do with the transmission.. help! :(

change the tranny fluid an they sell an additive that will help to stop that

SmokedRam
03-03-2012, 11:45 AM
I would highly advise NOT adding any additive in your trans fluid...to a drain and refill with a new filter with ATF+4 and call it a day.

Onk
03-03-2012, 11:50 AM
I agree with adam 100%.

But before you do that, are you feeling the hop in the truck or the steering wheel?

old man
03-03-2012, 01:28 PM
1 2 dont like additives but in this case i would use it sounds like a trans shudder just type trans shudder on your computer an it will give you a long list here is 1 of them
http://www.lubegard.com/SearchByCategory.aspx?CategoryCode=230&title=Dr.+Tranny+Instant+Shudder+Fixx#

SmokedRam
03-03-2012, 01:53 PM
OH I understand what you mean Dennis...but using additives in these second gen Ram transmissions is pretty much guaranteeing a rebuild sooner, if not later. These transmissions are the most prone to fail transmissions ever.

Again, what I would do, is go buy a case of Advance Auto Parts ATF+4 (Advance ATF+4 is actually Valvoline ATF+4, bought in bulk and packaged in Advance branding), get you a filter and do the drain and refill...2nd thing I would do, is start saving for a rebuild.

old man
03-03-2012, 09:42 PM
hey Adam wasnt aware that gen2 trans where that bad i was a ford man all my life fords had that same problem most dealers would try to sell you a converter to fix the problem but the additive an fluid change most times would cure the problem

AWE Daniel
03-03-2012, 10:04 PM
Would be nice to hear a reply from her

SmokedRam
03-03-2012, 10:23 PM
hey Adam wasnt aware that gen2 trans where that bad i was a ford man all my life fords had that same problem most dealers would try to sell you a converter to fix the problem but the additive an fluid change most times would cure the problem

Oh yeah...if you get a gen2 trans passed 100k miles without a rebuild you have a horseshoe stuck up your butt. My truck is just over 94k on it and it's on it's second trans.

Onk
03-03-2012, 11:17 PM
speaking of your new trans, how is it working for ya?

SmokedRam
03-04-2012, 03:38 AM
speaking of your new trans, how is it working for ya?

It's operates flawless and I have never been more confident of a trans rebuild in my life. That fella up in Leesburg is the only trans builder I will ever recommend to anyone.

Onk
03-04-2012, 11:50 PM
It's operates flawless and I have never been more confident of a trans rebuild in my life. That fella up in Leesburg is the only trans builder I will ever recommend to anyone.

Thats good to know. How much was the rebuild?

SmokedRam
03-05-2012, 01:22 AM
Well, with the way this guy operates his shop, it really wasn't a rebuild...basically he has rebuilt inventory of the most common rebuild prone transmissions ready to go in his shop. So basically, after checking out the trans and if it is determined a rebuild is in order, he will yank your current unit out and swap it with another unit he already has ready to go, which was the case with my truck.

His turn around time is amazing since he does it this way...I dropped of my truck at like 11AM on a Monday morning and picked it up at like 1PM on Tuesday...thats right, only 1 day of down time, and not only was that just swapping out the trans, but he also pit in an aftermarket trans cooler and new lines (he required these for him to honor a warranty) AND he repaired 3 leaking freeze plugs...all for like $1200, with a lifetime warranty.

Yeah...go and try to get that deal at your local AAMCO...

Onk
03-05-2012, 01:40 AM
Winning

Malrick
03-08-2012, 10:30 PM
Wow wish i got a deal that good cost me 2400 to have mine replaced couldnt rebuild it. Had a cracked case. Also before the 92k mark.

FL06SRT10
03-08-2012, 10:57 PM
Well, with the way this guy operates his shop, it really wasn't a rebuild...basically he has rebuilt inventory of the most common rebuild prone transmissions ready to go in his shop. So basically, after checking out the trans and if it is determined a rebuild is in order, he will yank your current unit out and swap it with another unit he already has ready to go, which was the case with my truck.

His turn around time is amazing since he does it this way...I dropped of my truck at like 11AM on a Monday morning and picked it up at like 1PM on Tuesday...thats right, only 1 day of down time, and not only was that just swapping out the trans, but he also pit in an aftermarket trans cooler and new lines (he required these for him to honor a warranty) AND he repaired 3 leaking freeze plugs...all for like $1200, with a lifetime warranty.

Yeah...go and try to get that deal at your local AAMCO...

Now that sounds like a good deal!!!

4XLGator
03-10-2012, 10:46 AM
When my tranny gets "built", it will be by Adam's guy in Leesburg...no question about it.

Sent from Lee's iPhone4 using Tapatalk

Rebel_Lady91
03-11-2012, 05:46 PM
hey guys sorry i have been away been getting things done to get in to college, when it hops it more in the truck not the steering wheel, me and my dad is thinkin about changing the trans filter because the same problem happen with my moms Oldsmobile, i have maybe 187,xxx miles on her im think she aint gettin enough oxygen and my front alignment is pullin to the right and my shock or spring squeals when i turn my wheels. but it only hops when i am in overdrive

Rebel_Lady91
03-12-2012, 11:02 PM
My Baby she is fallin apart :sad72:

SmokedRam
03-13-2012, 07:02 PM
Having trans issues is all part of the joy of being a 2nd gen Ram owner...welcome to the club.lol!

Malrick
03-27-2012, 11:12 AM
When you think about it how many of us want to be in the rebuild or replace trans club. I personaly would rather not be lol Don't forget the broken dash club And the blown plenum club. I am sure i missed a few of the lesser know bits and pieces that die on our rams.

05singlecabHEMI
03-28-2012, 01:26 AM
Oh yeah...if you get a gen2 trans passed 100k miles without a rebuild you have a horseshoe stuck up your butt. My truck is just over 94k on it and it's on it's second trans.

my buddies 96 ram had 272k miles before the stock trany gave out.

SmokedRam
03-28-2012, 01:29 AM
my buddies 96 ram had 272k miles before the stock trany gave out.

He was one of the lucky ones then

Rebel_Lady91
04-16-2012, 05:35 PM
she is all better i will posted pics of the problems i had with her, had a rats nest in her air filter and had a broke spark plug and a broke value spring

RamSport97
05-31-2012, 03:36 PM
Just wanted to point out, I don't believe the 46RE trannys that came in the 1500's are unreliable. They are the same 3 speed 727 Torque Flite transmissions that were used by Chrylser during the Muscle Car wars in the 60's. Except Chrysler added an Overdrive gear making it the 46RE 4 speed. The reason they fail is usually because previous owners did not have a proper maintenance regimen. The 4x4 models seem to have had more problems as the trannys are subjected to more abuse. The 46re requires more frequent fluid changes than Ford and GM tranny's do. If you install a drain plug in the trans pan and change the fluid every 12k or once a year, it will last forever. Mine had 126,xxx work truck miles on it before I sold her, and I knew a guy on DF that had 365k on his before he had to have work done. He now has over 550k. Talk about reliability.

Paige- Glad you got it figured out. I had a feeling you were experiencing a "miss" in the engine. When in overdrive that is when the engine is under the most load. If you haven't done the plenum fix it might be a good idea to run middle grade fuel and keep the overdrive turned off unless you plan to cruise at speeds over 55mph.

These 2nd gen's are excellent trucks, they just need a lot of attention and good maintenance. Never put anything off on a Dodge or it will bite you in the ass hard.

Rebel_Lady91
05-31-2012, 06:55 PM
well i use regular gas in her and i never follow the speed limit i am always going 5 miles over the posted speed but i usually go 60mph on county back roads i have overdrive off but if im on the hwy i have her in over drive

repoman
05-31-2012, 06:56 PM
time to trade in!

Rebel_Lady91
05-31-2012, 06:59 PM
:( not my first truck...if i had to trade her i would get another ram or a sliverado