View Full Version : What is the latest?

Smitty
02-13-2012, 08:55 AM
Been real quiet around the diesel side of town. What is the latest?

I am still shopping for a new tuner for my 07 5.9. Lee and I decided to get a H&S
tuner...but money always seems to get in the way. Presently have a Smarty Jr. I am being told now to go for EFILive or stay with the Smarty. Geesh, seems like the rules of the game are constantly changing....lol. Also seems it all depends who you talk to!!!

The DOF forum is having a G2G in March, Phenix, AL. I am considering going and taking my 5er...anyone interested in going?

4XLGator
02-13-2012, 06:51 PM
Hey Ken. Who told you EFILive is the way to go...did Rich finally answer you? LOL, I know he's big on it. I understand it probably has the best capability, but it seems it is not user friendly unless you're a shop that knows how to use it properly.

I think with EFILive I would need a shop close to me to changing tunes...just my opinion based on what I know about it. Maybe I'm off base in regard to it.

Smitty
02-13-2012, 08:05 PM
Rich and a few others on DOF has been saying that EFILive is the ultimate turner. You can adjust 100's, 1000's? of different parameters. There are several threads going on now on DOF about it.

Nope, no replies from Rich...

From what I understand, you can buy a reader/loader and install already created tunes. One question I was going to ask the new Cummins expert(?), (link I sent you in an email). Suppose to give him a call and discuss some things with him. Will let you know what I find out.

4XLGator
02-14-2012, 12:20 PM
I checked out Low Budget Diesel's store. Let me know how your call goes with him.

Smitty
02-14-2012, 12:21 PM
Will do. Going to try and give him a call tonight.

03 Rammer
06-06-2012, 09:58 AM
So have you bought a programmer yet?

Smitty
06-06-2012, 10:20 AM
So have you bought a programmer yet?

Hey there Rammer...

Not yet, still using my Smarty Jr.

Still plan on getting something one of these days. I am leaning toward a H&S programmer, but EFILive is hitting the scene and is suppose to be the best thing going. Have to know what are doing for using EFI though. You can just buy a loader and then download/buy pre-written tunes. Will look into further one of these days.

03 Rammer
06-06-2012, 11:43 AM
Cool beans, yeah Heard EFI live is the S*#@ but too advanced for me. I recently installed my EGT probe that I have had laying around for over a year. Know I can set my truck to wait to turn off till the EGT's are at a certain point. Nice thing to have now IMO.

4XLGator
06-16-2012, 06:18 PM
Hey Aaron, do me a favor and let me know what kind of EGT's you get running around town, and how long it takes to cool down to an acceptable temp. And the same for interstate if you do any interstate driving and don't mind.

I'm more curious than anything, I still haven't added gauges to my truck.