View Full Version : Wheel cleaner recommendations

garner
01-05-2012, 07:35 PM
What do you guys recommend for a good wheel cleaner? I have some spray on and rinse off stuff but it doesn't do that good of a job. Want something that will remove all the dirt and grime so the wheels will go back to as close to a showroom condition as possible

ramthis9501
01-05-2012, 07:55 PM
I just get the tire foam at dollar general, it works great. I even spray my wheels and they shine to! You just spray it on and let it sit.

AWE Daniel
01-05-2012, 08:04 PM
Jax Wax has a new product I am picking up at Wiregrass, ill let you know how that stuff works.

garner
01-05-2012, 08:37 PM
I just get the tire foam at dollar general, it works great. I even spray my wheels and they shine to! You just spray it on and let it sit.

Different wheel types

Jax Wax has a new product I am picking up at Wiregrass, ill let you know how that stuff works.

Is it on their website yet?

UnderCover
01-05-2012, 08:56 PM
On the chrome clad wheels I used McGuire's chrome wheel cleaner. It's supposed to be a spray on/rinse off, but I'd always soap them up and give them a gentle scrub in addition to the wheel cleaner. Then a good coating of purple polish (available from jaxwax) made 'em shine like new.

Now that they're plasti-dipped i just use soap & water.

AWE Daniel
01-05-2012, 09:05 PM
I use vinegar and water on the avengers wheels

UnderCover
01-05-2012, 09:28 PM
Also - when I was up in NY, and I detailed my dad's Dakota (aluminum wheels) - they were disgusting - hadn't been touched in probably 3 years... we used Jax Wax Super Citrus and a wheel brush - it was awesome. Took some elbow grease, but it got them very clean.

garner
01-05-2012, 09:46 PM
On the chrome clad wheels I used McGuire's chrome wheel cleaner. It's supposed to be a spray on/rinse off, but I'd always soap them up and give them a gentle scrub in addition to the wheel cleaner. Then a good coating of purple polish (available from jaxwax) made 'em shine like new.

How long does a container of the purple polish last?

I use vinegar and water on the avengers wheels

Don't think I wanna try that on $1,300 a piece wheels lol

Also - when I was up in NY, and I detailed my dad's Dakota (aluminum wheels) - they were disgusting - hadn't been touched in probably 3 years... we used Jax Wax Super Citrus and a wheel brush - it was awesome. Took some elbow grease, but it got them very clean.

Sounds like mine but mine are about 8 months worth of offroading and all that. What wheel brush did you use?

AWE Daniel
01-05-2012, 10:03 PM
Vinegar will not harm anything especially when diluted, but I use it because it leaves streak free, which I need with matte black wheels

UnderCover
01-05-2012, 10:04 PM
The purple polish lasts a while because you don't need to use a whole lot. A dab will do ya, lol. And it blows any other metal polish I've used out the window.

And as far as the wheel brush.. one of these

http://www.thetoolboxscotland.co.uk/published/publicdata/THETOOLBOX1/attachments/SC/products_pictures/Silverline%20Wheel%20Cleaning%20Brush%20250311_enl .jpg

Silverbullet08
01-05-2012, 10:18 PM
blackfire tire and wheel cleaner just bought it at autogeek.com and its awesome

shadow11
01-05-2012, 11:06 PM
Best thing to get them clean is your hand in a wash mitt with some car soap. No spray on cleaner is going to get all the dirt off them. Must wash them by hand. Trust me, we had the best spray cleaner when I worked at Lexus and it wouldn't begin to clean really dirty wheels. Washing by hand was the best. Also polished aluminum and chrome wheels will stain really easy so if you wash the truck and don't dry the wheels then they will get water spots and they will NEVER come off lol. Also its a good idea to wax your wheels when they are clean so that the brake dust will not stick to them.

UnderCover
01-06-2012, 12:00 AM
Purple polish will get those water spots out... I SEEN IT!!

garner
01-06-2012, 02:29 AM
blackfire tire and wheel cleaner just bought it at autogeek.com and its awesome

How much?

Best thing to get them clean is your hand in a wash mitt with some car soap. No spray on cleaner is going to get all the dirt off them. Must wash them by hand. Trust me, we had the best spray cleaner when I worked at Lexus and it wouldn't begin to clean really dirty wheels. Washing by hand was the best. Also polished aluminum and chrome wheels will stain really easy so if you wash the truck and don't dry the wheels then they will get water spots and they will NEVER come off lol. Also its a good idea to wax your wheels when they are clean so that the brake dust will not stick to them.

Gotcha. Do you remember the name of the cleaner? What wax would you recommend?

Purple polish will get those water spots out... I SEEN IT!!

Awesome! Cause I'm pretty sure I have some

shadow11
01-06-2012, 03:08 AM
Gotcha. Do you remember the name of the cleaner? What wax would you recommend?

The cleaner we used is only available in bulk so unless you want to buy 50gal of it it isn't available lol. What ever wax you use on the truck will work. I like meguiras.

garner
01-17-2012, 04:40 PM
Well cleaned the wheels with a microfiber cloth brush thing and some water which cleaned it decently. But I noticed a lot of fine scratches from regular use and mudding/offroading so I gotta figure out if my wheels are clear coated or not and get some scratch remover and polisher and wax

Edit: They're not clear coated

http://i1024.photobucket.com/albums/y305/garner3/IMAG0209.jpg
http://i1024.photobucket.com/albums/y305/garner3/IMAG0210.jpg
http://i1024.photobucket.com/albums/y305/garner3/IMAG0211.jpg

AWE Daniel
01-17-2012, 05:12 PM
Wow, you should not be mudding in that thing, thats way too much of a payment to be destroying it

shadow11
01-17-2012, 05:34 PM
Nothing is really going to fix those scratches....

AWE Daniel
01-17-2012, 06:13 PM
Might as well just plasti-dip over it, it would hide it and smooth it out if you put it on heavy

Silverbullet08
01-17-2012, 07:14 PM
Time to powdercoat

AWE Daniel
01-17-2012, 07:23 PM
Time to powdercoat

Willing to bet they are chrome clad

Silverbullet08
01-17-2012, 07:28 PM
Pretty sure those aren't I thought there were aluminum remember the first rts had black wheels of those concept ones

garner
01-17-2012, 08:31 PM
Wow, you should not be mudding in that thing, thats way too much of a payment to be destroying it

That's why it's going back to street queen

Nothing is really going to fix those scratches....

:( Even though they're just light scratches?

Might as well just plasti-dip over it, it would hide it and smooth it out if you put it on heavy

Wish I could find spray around here. Can only find brush

Time to powdercoat

Nah

Willing to bet they are chrome clad

Pretty sure those aren't I thought there were aluminum remember the first rts had black wheels of those concept ones

They're polished aluminum forged alloys

BTW, the scratches aren't as bad as they look. Camera was about 8 inches from the wheel. You have to be right next to the wheel and looking straight at it to see them. Any farther and you don't

Silverbullet08
01-17-2012, 08:46 PM
still i would know they are there and it would bug the shit outta me

garner
01-17-2012, 10:05 PM
still i would know they are there and it would bug the shit outta me

It does hence me trying to get them out

What about wet sanding them?
And I'm confused as to what to use on them. Owners manual says don't use metal polish but the wheels supposedly aren't clear coated. So should I use metal polish or not?

AWE Daniel
01-17-2012, 10:11 PM
No do not wet sand them

shadow11
01-17-2012, 10:26 PM
Metal polish won't do much. When I worked at Lexus in the body shop the head painted tried everything to clean up his polished aluminium SRT-10 wheels he got for his Ram and nothing shined them/removed some VERY light scratches. Your just going to have to live with the scratches or plasti-dip them.

garner
05-04-2012, 07:36 PM
Ok need more suggestions for the new truck. It has the non chrome clad 20s, they're the polished face/painted ones. So far just using a magic eraser to get the brake dust off and then a microfiber towel to get anything that remains and to dry them off. But want an actual product to use. Any suggestions?

SmokedRam
05-04-2012, 07:43 PM
I clean mine with the Jax Wax Wash N Wax...keeps them looking nice!

AWE Daniel
05-04-2012, 07:44 PM
I got a gallon of the brown wheel cleaner jax wax is selling now, it seems to work the same as all the other stuff but it is priced much better and since you cut it in half with water it'll last me a long time. I think the gallon size was around 20-25$ can't remember exactly

garner
05-04-2012, 08:36 PM
I clean mine with the Jax Wax Wash N Wax...keeps them looking nice!

The soap? Does the brake dust stick as much on the wheels?

I got a gallon of the brown wheel cleaner jax wax is selling now, it seems to work the same as all the other stuff but it is priced much better and since you cut it in half with water it'll last me a long time. I think the gallon size was around 20-25$ can't remember exactly

From tampa jax wax or jax wax as a whole?

AWE Daniel
05-04-2012, 08:38 PM
Tampa, from the cianfroccas

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?0jqbm2

SmokedRam
05-04-2012, 08:43 PM
The soap? Does the brake dust stick as much on the wheels?

I don't experience brake dust, cause I am not a heavy braker...and I also wash my truck every weekend.

AWE Daniel
05-04-2012, 08:50 PM
I wash my truck a lot but I still see dust and dirt

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?4kunzo

SmokedRam
05-04-2012, 08:56 PM
Yeah of course dust and dirt...but I havent had a problem with brake dust.

AWE Daniel
05-04-2012, 09:16 PM
I get some from the brakes but it comes off easy

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?a2vmy2

BAD HABIT
05-04-2012, 09:17 PM
Daniel I was told 4:1 with that cleaner....

BAD HABITS BADASS EVO ON TAPATALK TRANSPARENT...

AWE Daniel
05-04-2012, 09:30 PM
I tried that but wanted it a bit stronger

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?gmujwf

garner
05-05-2012, 03:19 AM
I found that brown wheel cleaner on the internet so might order a spray bottle.

Hopefully tomorrow I'm gonna try some black magic wheel cleaner with some brushes I have and see how that does. If anything I'll just keep wiping my wheels down with shop towels and microfiber towels until the brake dust is gone. Then I wanna pull out my engine cover, airbox lid, air intake tube, and fuse box lid and clean them with some simple green, and then pull off the exhaust tips and clean those with some simple green and then use some eagle one polish I have and hopefully that'll clean those

BAD HABIT
05-05-2012, 10:02 AM
garner, tampa jax wax will ship it immediately they are very good about it, hence why they are a preffered vendor. Let alone supporting our vendors helps us keep them with our forum. my wifes car has horrible brake dust from semi metallic pads, this stuff takes it off with ease, ive tried other things to remove it and not just because they are a vendor, but this is the best i found.

AWE Daniel
05-05-2012, 10:21 AM
Not to mention getting it in a gallon size will save you way more money then paying 7-10$ a bottle. Everything I use is Jax Wax now, I musta dropped a couple hundred on products from them so far. Give the Cianfroccas a call Garner they will hook you up.

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?nads2w

BAD HABIT
05-05-2012, 10:53 AM
you and me both Daniel, i have spent quite a bit on products too...but when you find something this good stay with it, and their prices to the members here are as good as it gets...

garner
05-05-2012, 03:37 PM
Well did some cleaning with what I had which was black magic wheel cleaner, black magic tire shine, simple green undiluted, meguiars supreme shine protectant, and blue shop towels. But will be ordering some jaxwax stuff soon. My front bumper top cover thing looks like complete crap from all the over spray and stuff but it's hard to clean cause the grille guard and all that

Wheels before I started. No after pics though but they're pretty clean
http://i1024.photobucket.com/albums/y305/garner3/IMAG0525.jpg

Engine bay. Wiped it down with undiluted simple green and then the meguiars. Except for the air intake tube cause that was too much of a pain to clean
http://i1024.photobucket.com/albums/y305/garner3/IMAG0526.jpg
http://i1024.photobucket.com/albums/y305/garner3/IMAG0527.jpg
http://i1024.photobucket.com/albums/y305/garner3/IMAG0528.jpg
http://i1024.photobucket.com/albums/y305/garner3/IMAG0529.jpg
http://i1024.photobucket.com/albums/y305/garner3/IMAG0530.jpg

garner
05-05-2012, 03:39 PM
garner, tampa jax wax will ship it immediately they are very good about it, hence why they are a preffered vendor. Let alone supporting our vendors helps us keep them with our forum. my wifes car has horrible brake dust from semi metallic pads, this stuff takes it off with ease, ive tried other things to remove it and not just because they are a vendor, but this is the best i found.

Not to mention getting it in a gallon size will save you way more money then paying 7-10$ a bottle. Everything I use is Jax Wax now, I musta dropped a couple hundred on products from them so far. Give the Cianfroccas a call Garner they will hook you up.

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?nads2w

you and me both Daniel, i have spent quite a bit on products too...but when you find something this good stay with it, and their prices to the members here are as good as it gets...

Oh I didn't know tampa shipped. I thought it was just a local thing only. Good to know. Well for $50 what would you guys recommend? Looking for wheel cleaner, engine bay cleaner, bug cleaner, maybe tire shine, and maybe some stuff to clean the paint from overspray. Possibly some brushes and sponges too

BAD HABIT
05-05-2012, 06:50 PM
id say a small bottle of the brown stuff, shine all, super blue for tire shine, it doubles and you can use a foam brush and use it on all black plastic, and bug zapper. you shouldnt need any brushes for anything...

garner
05-09-2012, 08:36 PM
I definitely need to order that stuff. Truck is covered in dust, dirt, and mud from going down a dirt road yesterday while raining. Almost got stuck going up a hill so I had to set the cruise at 30 and hold on to the wheel so I wouldn't start fishtailing and so I wouldn't bog down and almost get stuck on anymore hills

But gonna be put aside probably for a couple weeks so I can get my local ram club off the ground. Need all the money I have to order decals, cards, etc. Hopefully I'll have some money left over for cleaning stuff

BAD HABIT
05-09-2012, 08:39 PM
garner you should use our club and site, and just build your chapter...

garner
05-09-2012, 08:45 PM
garner you should use our club and site, and just build your chapter...

Hadn't thought about that. Right now it's called CenTex Rams. Maybe I could do CenTex Rams, a chapter of SE Mopars? I'm leaving this up to you though as you run this club as a whole and don't want to do anything to infringe on what you want SE Mopars to be

BAD HABIT
05-09-2012, 09:07 PM
SEMopars CenTex chapter...

BAD HABITS BADASS EVO ON TAPATALK TRANSPARENT...

garner
05-09-2012, 10:16 PM
Jay here's our facebook page so you can check it out and discuss with the members if you want or whatever. Post whatever you feel is necessary. https://www.facebook.com/groups/317345421631038/

UnderCover
05-11-2012, 11:36 AM
Garner - last time i detailed my dad's truck, his intake tube looked worse than yours. i pulled it off, soaked it in Jaxwax super citrus, and scrubbed it with a semi-stiff bristle brush (nylon bristles, a toothbrush should work.) After i got all the nasty off it, I put it back on and sprayed the whole engine compartment down with shine all, and it looked better than the day he picked it up from the dealership!

4XLGator
05-13-2012, 12:34 PM
In short, Garner, Jax Wax stuff rocks. I have been impressed with each and every product I've bought and used so far.

I bought a "bucket deal"...lots of product for around $100. I was able to mix and match some of the items in the bucket (and I hope the Cianfrocca's still allow for that, lol) to better suit my truck's cleaning needs. For example, I needed leather cleaner and conditioner but some don't. I have bought some other items individually as well. Get in touch with the Cianfrocca's, they will hook you up.

garner
05-15-2012, 07:37 PM
Good to know guys! I just need to find a job lol. This picking and choosing mods/cleaners stuff from a $100 check in my bank account from my sister is not working

BulldogsRT
05-16-2012, 04:35 PM

I use the same stuff. They also have a paste wax for the chrome. But recently ran out of the spray and just used the McGuires ultimate quick wax.

03 Rammer
05-18-2012, 04:34 PM
I use Meguiars All wheel cleaner in a purple bottle. Gets brake dust and other crap off very easily. When I run out of that stuff I use purple power to tie me over till I goto the store.

SmokedRam
05-18-2012, 11:12 PM
Ewwww, you used the "M" word

03 Rammer
05-19-2012, 12:47 PM
Ewwww, you used the "M" word

IMO Meguiers knows what they are doing when it comes to tire and wheel cleaning. Theire wheel cleaner and spray on tire shine is awesome. I have used everything on the market and hands down those are the 2 best products I have used so far. (Tire and wheel applications)