PDA

View Full Version : Lakeland Police Officer Shot on Sun Will Not Recover

UnderCover
12-20-2011, 08:49 PM
Bay News 9 just released that Lakeland (FL) Police Officer Arnulfo Crispin, who was shot Sunday night, will not recover from his injuries. This has been a very bad year for law enforcement line of duty deaths, especially in this area. Please keep Officer Crispin, his family, and co-workers in your prayers.

Officer Arnulfo Crispin, shot in the line of duty late Sunday night, will not survive his wound.

Lakeland Police Chief Lisa Womack announced in a live press conference that Crispin’s family is making necessary medical decisions concerning the critically wounded officer's life.

19-year-old suspect in shooting denied bond

The suspect in the Sunday night shooting of Lakeland Police Officer Arnulfo Crispin has been denied bond.

In a brief court appearance Tuesday, Polk County Judge John E. Kirkland denied bond for the man accused of shooting a Lakeland Police officer bond.

After a massive manhunt, Kyle Williams, 19, was arrested Monday morning and charged with attempted first-degree murder of a law enforcement official.

In court Tuesday, he had no family present and the judge appointed Williams a public defender.

Lakeland Police officer Arnulfo Crispin, 25, underwent several hours of surgery early Monday at Lakeland Regional Medical Center and remains in very critical condition.

Williams was arrested shortly before 8:30 a.m. Monday outside an apartment complex in the Crystal Lake area.

50 police recruits search for, find a gun near shooting scene

Lakeland Police and 50 police recruits from Polk State College searching for the gun used in the crime Tuesday, found a semiautomatic weapon in a crawl space under a house.

Officials said they are not yet able to determine if the gun was used in the shooting of Crispin.

"It's the same type of weapon we were looking for," Lakeland Police spokesperson Lt. Al Wilson said.

Newly released police report sheds light on shooting

According to documents released Wednesday, witnesses said Williams shot Crispin in the head while the officer was conducting a pat-down search after responding to a call on Crystal Grove Drive in Lakeland.

Police said in an affidavit Tuesday that Crispin was performing his duties in a marked police car and in uniform when he radioed communications from a park in the 2200 block of Crystal Grove Lane that he was getting out after spotting three suspicious subjects. A few minutes later, Officer Heather Freeman arrived as backup and discovered that Crispin had been shot.

Police said in the affidavit that neighbors in the area reported hearing a single gun shot and saw several individuals running from the park. One witness reported seeing an individual wearing a red hooded jacket and another wearing a dark jacket jumping a perimeter fence, the statement said. Officers in the area of the shooting located two subjects wearing clothing matching that description a short distance from the crime scene.

The two subjects, who have not been identified, were interviewed by police and gave detailed accounts of the events that led to the shooting, the affidavit said. They said Williams shot Crispin.

According to the affidavit, the witnesses said they were in the park with the defendant and two additional individuals when Crispin arrived. They said Crispin engaged them in conversation and gained their consent to conduct a pat-down search for weapons and/or illegal drugs and that during the pat down, Williams produced a handgun and shot Officer Crispin in the head.

After the shooting, the affidavit said, witnesses said everyone ran from the park leaving Officer Crispin lying unresponsive on the park grounds with life-threatening injuries.

The affidavit also said one of the two witnesses said he observed Williams in possession of the handgun earlier in the evening. A third witness was located who was also in the park at the time of the shooting and said Williams was with the group when Officer Crispin was in their company, but he turned his head at the time of the shooting, the affidavit said.

That witness, who also hasn't been identified, told police he fled the park as soon as he heard the gunshot, the affidavit said.

The affidavit said all those who were in the park with Williams at the time of the shooting provided detectives with formal interviews.

Massive manhunt results in suspect's arrest

Twelve local agencies, including the Polk County Sheriff's Office, the Florida Highway Patrol and the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission, participated in the search for Williams.

A perimeter was set up in the area of the shooting, and officials combed the densely-populated neighborhood of Crystal Lake for nearly 10 hours, checking vehicles and knocking on doors.

Williams' mother played an instrumental role in bringing the manhunt to an end, officers said. They received information that she was on the phone with her son. Officers were able to convince him to surrender.

Crispin has been with the department for 18 months. He comes from a large family and has several brothers and sisters. Lakeland Police Chief Lisa Womack said Crispin has an "outstanding reputation for being an outstanding police officer."

Crispin played for Mulberry High's football and soccer team and was a standout athlete. He was an all-county soccer player for two years and named second team all-state in his senior year, according to Bay News 9 partner newspaper, The Ledger, of Lakeland.

An arraignment is set for Jan. 24.

Any information in the case can be reported to the Lakeland Police Department at 863-834-6900, reported to the hotline at [email protected], or Crimestoppers at 1-800-226-8477.

Storm Rider
12-20-2011, 08:55 PM
My prayers go out to that officer and his family. Hope that suspect gets what he deserves.

Fla 66 cuda
12-20-2011, 10:14 PM
He has pled not guilty, claims he is not the shooter. My condolences for the officers family,police officers job is a tough one.

Ms.MagnumSLT
12-20-2011, 10:36 PM
Prayers going out to his family.

AWE Daniel
12-20-2011, 10:37 PM
Sad to hear

UnderCover
12-20-2011, 11:14 PM
He has pled not guilty, claims he is not the shooter. My condolences for the officers family,police officers job is a tough one.

I'm sure the ballistics will show otherwise.

Onk
12-21-2011, 12:03 AM
I'm speechless and sick to my stomach....my thoughts and prayers go out to Ofc. Crispins family and Lakeland PD

Sent using Tapatalk on my bad ass HTC EVO

BAD HABIT
12-21-2011, 10:14 AM
Sad to see it end this way. Bless his family. Hope the dirtbag gets what's coming in the worst way.

Sent from my badass EVO on TapaTalk....

4XLGator
12-21-2011, 03:39 PM
This makes me sick! Very tragic. It doesn't sound like the officer ever had a chance.

I pray for his family, Lakeland PD and the entire law enforcement community. And I hope justice is served to full extent.

ramn it
12-21-2011, 10:45 PM
my prayers to him and his family

BulldogsRT
12-31-2011, 06:37 PM
A sad day for This area. It seema like it's become open season on Law Enforcement. We have lost quite enough this year in Tampa Bay Area. Prayers are with the family and Law enforcement.