View Full Version : DIY? AC Condensor

Toxic02Ram
09-17-2011, 04:18 PM
The AC has not worked since I had my truck. After getting a couple of quotes on getting it fixed at a shop, I think I may take this on myself. Im very familiar with tools and such, change my own oil etc, but Im wondering if any of you would tackle this or have let someone else do it? I have two vehicles so Im not worried about it taking a couple of days to do. Not worried about breakin a nail or gettin dirty either. Ive done some research on it and I know its going to be hard and I know its going to require me to remove my dash and all that....just wondering if those of you that have done it yourself...any complications after?

Fla 66 cuda
09-17-2011, 04:40 PM
If 3rd gen trucks are the same as 2nd gen you have to remove the entire dash,airbags,instrument cluster ect just to get the a/c heater box out to change it. I plan on doing mine but it's probly more than a 2 day job if you ain't never done it i'm gonna do the heater core while i'm in there. I'm not afraid of tearin it apart except for the air bags don't like playin with them.

Toxic02Ram
09-17-2011, 05:14 PM
To me, its all, remembering what I did, how I did it and where it went. Im not lookin forward to the airbags either. If I screw that up, its not like I can just go and buy another one, or two. =0( Ugh.

SmokedRam
09-17-2011, 05:41 PM
Wouldnt you have to have the entire AC system evacuated to get the AC condenser off? After watching the vid below, it doesnt seem too hard to do...but you would have to have a shop, evac your system, then take it off, replace it, then have the ship recharge the system.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1t4rYxz40U

BassMaster
09-17-2011, 07:58 PM
Evacuating the system is probably the easiest part.

Toxic02Ram
09-17-2011, 08:13 PM
I think after 3 years it would be empty? I do have a 'connection' at the mechanic shop so he could prolly do that for me when the time comes. I could also ask to do it all in his backyard and he can step in if I need him. LOL.

Thanks for the video Adam. That's going to help alot. I will have to go and find part 2 of that video!!! Awesome!!! Thank you!!!

Fla 66 cuda
09-17-2011, 09:20 PM
I'm a dumbass i did not read the thread you said condenser that's easy two lines and few bolts ,evac system,recharge. The evaporator is the one that,s always going bad on 2nd gens not sure on 3rd gen trucks.I'm very sorry i have been having one of those days i took a dumbass pill instead of a vitamin.