View Full Version : Ooohhhh ahhhhhh

SmokedRam
08-21-2011, 11:24 AM
http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q100/tstewartdepotphotos/0821110931.jpg

The creaking in my shocks got the best of me, so rather than wait til I had the $$$ for Bilsteins, I got some Monores from Advance. Used the P20 discount code and got 20% off of the set...so new shocks for $38 isn't bad at all in my opinion.

Gonna put them on later today.

Redtruck-VA
08-21-2011, 11:29 AM
Adam, I use gasmatic shocks and they have served me well for the last couple years.

SmokedRam
08-21-2011, 11:37 AM
Adam, I use gasmatic shocks and they have served me well for the last couple years.

Thats great to know Greg!!! Like I was telling Ken earlier, I would have like to have been able to get the Bilsteins, but since I don't tow anything worth beefing up my suspension for (well I have never towed anything with the truck as of yet) having Bilsteins would just be me having them to say I had them...lol...

But seriously, every time I hit a crack on the road, I can hear these Mopar shocks yes they are the stock shocks from 1996...they creak like a sumbitch and it's rather embarrassing.

Redtruck-VA
08-21-2011, 11:44 AM
My OEM shocks were bad in about 4-5 years. They didn't make any noises, but I had handling problems at speed. The truck had a funny squat going over bumps. Turned out my driver side rear shock was totally gone and that was causing the weird handling. You will like new shocks.

Storm Rider
08-21-2011, 11:46 AM
You are going to love the new ride you get from the shocks. It is amazing how much of a difference new vs. old is. 15 years out of a pair of shocks ain't bad.

4XLGator
08-21-2011, 12:56 PM
sweet!

SmokedRam
08-21-2011, 06:59 PM
Well, got the new shocks on, but I am sad to say the creak is still there. I know it's not a bushing, cause the whole front end has been greased, every bushing sprayed with penetrating oil to hopefully track it down.

My next guess is ball joints. It is even creaking when I turn the dan steering wheel...any suggestions?

SmokedRam
08-21-2011, 07:05 PM
Guys, I have never installed ball joints...is that something I can do with ease in my driveway? Also, the creak is in my drivers side, can I replace only that side or do I have to do both?

Onk
08-21-2011, 07:38 PM
I know my lower ball joints are rivet'd in which are going to need to be torched off...

Redtruck-VA
08-21-2011, 07:49 PM
usually BJ's are all changed out. Check them out and see if you can replace just the BJ's or do you have to change to whole control arm. If it is revited you can use a hand grinder to knock the heads off. Good luck..

SmokedRam
08-21-2011, 08:02 PM
usually BJ's are all changed out. Check them out and see if you can replace just the BJ's or do you have to change to whole control arm. If it is revited you can use a hand grinder to knock the heads off. Good luck..

Both the tops and lowers are pressed in on mine....I cant grease them, cause they are the factory ones with no zerk fittings.

NOTPAID4
08-21-2011, 08:07 PM
Hope you get rid of the creaking; gotta be annoying. Those shocks are darn good ones; used that type on several of my vehicles over the years.

AWE Daniel
08-21-2011, 08:17 PM
Yeah I was wondering if that was gonna work because greg said something about it in my thread.

Redtruck-VA
08-21-2011, 08:22 PM
If they are pressed in then they will need to be pressed out. Do you have anyone that can press them out? Some parts stores can do it,

SmokedRam
08-21-2011, 09:43 PM
If they are pressed in then they will need to be pressed out. Do you have anyone that can press them out? Some parts stores can do it,

I can get a ball joint press using Autozones Loan A Tool deal...only cost $5 to rent it I think...

for what it's worth, here is a pic of my old shocks...Mopar SVT stockers...

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q100/tstewartdepotphotos/0821171845.jpg

Redtruck-VA
08-21-2011, 10:08 PM
I'd say you got your money's worth out of the old shocks. lol

SmokedRam
08-21-2011, 10:15 PM
for real....

Greg, all the creaking is coming from my drivers side, can I just replace the ball joints on that side?

Redtruck-VA
08-21-2011, 10:22 PM
for real....

Greg, all the creaking is coming from my drivers side, can I just replace the ball joints on that side?

Yes, but you are suppose to have the front end aligned after changing them, so most folks change them all at the same time.
You can jack the wheel off the ground about three inches and put a pry bar under the tire and pull up on the bar to see which of the joints is loose. Good luck..