PDA

View Full Version : OMG: Spark plugs gapped at 60 thousand.

NOTPAID4
08-08-2011, 09:24 AM
I've been on here alot bragging about buying BLUE, my 05 Magnum R/T having over 130,000 miles. Of course buying this car used and the previouse owner just thinking of this as a CAR and NOT taking care of it like I would have, I have really done a lot to this car, probably buffed & waxed more than a dozen times as the outside was a real mess... tons of scratches etc and the inside was unbelieveable... the guy even carried bails of straw inside of this car so I really had my work cut out for me.... but all in all it's been FUN to play with daily and I must admit it has really been running good.

As far as things wrong with it; he did tell me it needed front end work (common for these LX cars with some mileage on them), and I had the front end rebuilt, tie rods, tension struts and control arms at a cost of approx $500. I gave the 22" black wheels to Tee for her everday driver CHANCE and replaced with some extra wheels I had from my SRT and NOW I also have some Challenger 20" SRT rims for it.

Of course I did regular maintenance, i.e. oil changes, changed out the stock air filter to a K & N CAI, cleaned and refreshed the cabin filter etc.

NOW, I know according to the maintenance manual you are supposed to change the spark plugs at every 30,000 miles and having as many of these that I do, I'm just NOT doing that. I do however, log everything, gas fill ups, oil changes, rotating tires, into a book I keep in EVERY car and watching the gas mileage slowing starting to drop..... figured it was about time to change the plugs out as I have NO idea when the previous owner did this.

As I pulled them out the gap looked pretty wide to me and started checking the gap on each plug and low and behold they were all gapped at .060"..... WOW, that was shock. I checked the gap on all the new plugs to insure they were at .045 and they were. After I got done I took the car for a short ride and WOW....First thing I noticed is how much smoother it idleded and WHAT AN INCREDIBLE DIFFERENCE and I thought it ran good before. Felt like I added another 50 horsepower. Since I just did this a couple of days ago while it was overcast out I haven't drove it too much but have already seen my gas mileage increase at least 3 MPG!

(And to think I had done a burnout with this one just a couple weeks ago.... Hmmmmm, wonder how it will do NOW ~ LOL~)

http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii247/deboyacej/DSCN0009.jpg?t=1312809927

And BLUE is really looking GREAT NOW!!!

http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii247/deboyacej/DSCN0554.jpg?t=1312810018

http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii247/deboyacej/DSCN0411.jpg?t=1312810099

Redtruck-VA
08-08-2011, 10:20 AM
With a gap like that I would say it never had it's plug changed. With that said I love these modern high voltage ignitions, they'll throw a spark across anything!

LB3711
08-08-2011, 01:09 PM
thats a nice "mod" LOL

OklaHemi
08-08-2011, 01:51 PM
well that is a "good" find lol. i am still putting of changing my plugs and wires i have a ton of excuses you want to hear them?

AWE Daniel
08-08-2011, 03:00 PM
Lol I got my guy to change my plugs and wires, I aint touching em! He owned his own repair shop and retired and brought the whole shop home with him lift an all, and it still took him two hours!

Redtruck-VA
08-08-2011, 06:01 PM
I guess I'm going to be the odd duck here, I didn't think changing the plugs is that big of a deal. With Red's drop and a cinder block to stand on I put a thick towel over the front cross member and find it reasonably comfortable to reach everything. I'm old and fat, and it takes me about two hours. Maybe use two towels if you aren't fat and only one hand if you're not that old. still should be around two hours unless alcohol is involved. Good luck...

Storm Rider
08-08-2011, 06:18 PM
Two hours of your time is better than the rate the dealership will give you to change them. Way to go Jim. Blue must be pretty close to being ready for your trip to Georgia.

ramthis9501
08-08-2011, 06:18 PM
The 3 MPG gain must have been nice!

SmokedRam
08-08-2011, 06:20 PM
I need to change the plugs on my truck here soon...I too do not know when they were changed last...

Fla 66 cuda
08-08-2011, 08:10 PM
My plugs are no problem in my ram [oh poo] sorry my cuda, reminds me gotta check them had a miss the last time we took her out but cleared up on the way home.

NOTPAID4
08-08-2011, 08:57 PM
Two hours of your time is better than the rate the dealership will give you to change them. Way to go Jim. Blue must be pretty close to being ready for your trip to Georgia.
Today would NOT have been a good day to check mileage; had errands to run and let it idle at different places with the air running. Can't wait 'til I see how it runs on the open roads. One think I'v noticed..... I've been playing with a few more WOT take offs... so this will surely drop my mileage too! ~LOL~

The 3 MPG gain must have been nice!
Yeah and all of this has been "in town" driving ~ haven't had it out on the interstate yet since changing the plugs. But... the take offs are sure "snapper"!

I need to change the plugs on my truck here soon...I too do not know when they were changed last...
I assume you got your truck used too? I was surprised how clean the plugs really were.... in fact, maybe could have regapped and put 'em back in, but for $26 for 16 plugs, I'm NOT complaining!

My plugs are no problem in my ram [oh poo] sorry my cuda, reminds me gotta check them had a miss the last time we took her out but cleared up on the way home.
Probably a good time to check 'em at least! I also added a can of fuel injector cleaner too and will add another at my fill up just prior to my trip to Georgia on Thursday morning!
I'm so looking forward to getting away for a little bit! I'm hoping after the show is over on Sunday morning to just head down to Florida for a few days ~ drive around, get a motel, drive some more and get to see some other parts of the country!