View Full Version : Ram 3500 woes

Fla 66 cuda
07-31-2011, 04:30 PM
Well for about a year now my cummins has been loosing idle rpm's i would adjust the idle stop and it would be fine for a few months then i would have to do it again until last saturday went to publix and she almost did not start [2'nd time this happened at a publix, changed fuel filter the first time it happened, 3000 miles ago which i figured fixed it] well there i go thinking again well i got her home adjusted the idle again and figured done deal,went out sunday fired her up and the idle was worse than before i touched it saturday soooooo i walked away pissed thinking it was the injector pump [800-1700 dollar part which i don't have] got a ride to work all this week and reasearched on line what else it could be came to the conclusion thru my research it was the lift pump [Geno's Garage/Turbo Diesel Regstrie] ordered one put it in yesterday [warning if you are not into heavy mechanics don't try this your self] well it is back up and running has more pep the idle is where it should be. Only time will tell if there are no other problems with it shes getting old and thing are starting to give up.Next project is rebuild the steering components shes a little loose. For those of us who have cummins engines Geno's has a lot of stuff for our trucks and reasonable prices example my lift pump was 147.00 local auto parts - 102.00 rock auto - 99.00 genos plus shipping/ fuel filter 29.95 - local auto parts 21.00 rock auto 15.00 genos plus shipping. both parts ran me 130.00 includes shipping. NEXT MODS- full set of guages [egt/boost/trans temp/fuel press] a pillar guage pod.There is a lot of info on genos and TDR for our cummins 89-2011 i have learned a bit about the 12 valves for sure.

4XLGator
07-31-2011, 04:42 PM
Glad you got it figured out, Lou.

NOTPAID4
07-31-2011, 05:01 PM
Sure hope all of that solves the problem. Good luck!

ramthis9501
07-31-2011, 05:04 PM
Hope everything works out

Storm Rider
07-31-2011, 05:33 PM
Glad to see you have the problem fixed. Nice to find a place with reasonable prices.

SmokedRam
07-31-2011, 05:45 PM
Glad you got it figured out Lou....and if ya need help doing any work, let me know...I aint all that smart about mechanics, but I can spin a wrench!!!

Fla 66 cuda
07-31-2011, 06:05 PM
Thanks ya'll, for those of us with ctd's there are many tsb's and articles for our trucks especially the newer 24 valves.If you guys aren't running a fuel pressure gauge you should think about one during my research i found out that my lift pump problems won't hurt my injector pump but the newer trucks can have damage done by loosing fuel pressure.From my research i have gathered that constant maintance and clean fuel is key to dependability more so for the newer cummins. I'm very anil about my maintaince but things happen. Thank's Adam for the offer i'll keep that in mind.

4XLGator
07-31-2011, 08:34 PM
Gauges are at the top of my performance mod list.

SmokedRam
07-31-2011, 09:03 PM
Gauges are at the top of my performance mod list.

genos had some gauges on clearance the other day...might wanna peep them back out

SmokedRam
07-31-2011, 09:07 PM
http://www.genosgarage.com/departments.asp?dept=7

Fla 66 cuda
08-01-2011, 07:03 AM
Iv'e shopped around found them cheeper but after reading further the sensors are seprate,genos has everything with the guage so they will get my busness.

Smitty
08-01-2011, 07:31 AM
Geno's is the place. Where I bought my Bilstein shocks.
Might also want to check out http://www.dodgeownerforums.com They are the place for CTD information. Plenty of DIY, help, and info.

03 Rammer
08-01-2011, 08:09 AM
Lou, check out the Glowshift Diesel 3in1 combo gauge. That is if you don't want a whole bunch of gauges everywhere. Glad you got it back up and running.

Fla 66 cuda
08-01-2011, 10:13 AM
Thanks i'm gonna have to go with multiple guages due to the fact that my eyes ain't what they used to be. Besides multiple guages make it look like there's more mods under the hood i suppose.

4XLGator
08-01-2011, 11:02 AM
What gauges are you installing Lou?

I'm going with autometer or isspro factory match in EGT, trans temp, rail pressure, fuel pressure and boost, I think.

Sent from Lee's iPhone4 using Tapatalk

Fla 66 cuda
08-01-2011, 03:02 PM
Isspro black face/bezel, boost/egt/trans temp/mechanical fuel press,i don't need fuel rail press on a 98 i really don't need fuel pressure according to geno's. A pillar 3 guage and single column mount. My oil press guage is mounted below ashtray.

4XLGator
08-01-2011, 07:16 PM
^ OK. Just an FYI for you....I've heard a lot of guys complain about blocked lines of sight due to the triple gauge a-pillar mount. Most seem to prefer the new dash mount (only comes in triple). I wish I could find a 5-gauge dash mount to put on my dash right in front of my steering wheel, but no one seems to make a 5-gauge.

Fla 66 cuda
08-01-2011, 07:39 PM
Well on the 2 gen rams the pillars are already a blind spot just the way they are angled i suppose that's why they changed the windshield angle on the newer ones [never been in a newer one so maybe i'm wrong]. Besides i don't like anything on the dash i'm anil that way thanks for the FYI tho i may end up with one i'll check out someones 2 gen with a pillar pod to make sure it works for me.