View Full Version : Programmer

ramthis9501
07-22-2011, 05:26 PM
Now I'm looking for a programmer for my dad's truck :D Looking at two right now, Edge Juice w/ Attitude or Banks... What's the better deal here?

http://www.thoroughbreddiesel.com/edge/dodge-juice-attitude-cs-cts.htm

http://www.xtremediesel.com/bankspoweriq-dashboardpcupgrade.aspx

Smitty
07-22-2011, 09:21 PM
I would say Edge over Banks.

Try Doghouse http://www.doghousediesel.com/
Tell him Smitty from DOF sent you. Do believe he will do you right.

ramthis9501
07-22-2011, 09:48 PM
Thanks man, is there a way I could message him before I buy it?

Smitty
07-22-2011, 10:20 PM
Thanks man, is there a way I could message him before I buy it?

Rich's (owner) email and phone is on web site:
[email protected]
706-888-2877.

ramthis9501
07-22-2011, 10:33 PM
Thanks alot man, I'll get on it

Smitty
07-22-2011, 10:57 PM
Thanks alot man, I'll get on it
:waytogo:

03 Rammer
07-23-2011, 10:44 AM
Edge over Banks any day. I'm running a Quadzilla Adrenaline with pulse on mine. IMHO does more than an Edge can plus you can now hook up your android phone,iphone, itouch etc.

ramthis9501
07-23-2011, 01:14 PM
So the extra $200 would be worth it for an Edge?

Smitty
07-23-2011, 01:33 PM
So the extra $200 would be worth it for an Edge?

From what I understand YES. Performance wise, the Edge and other programmers will out do the Banks. You can go out to You tube and find videos of similar trucks racing each other; one has a Banks and the other will have another brand and Banks is the loser.

If you already haven't, give Rich a call and discuss with him. Let him know what you are looking to do and he can recommend something.

03 Rammer
07-23-2011, 10:31 PM
Banks doesnt really make too great of hp gains copared to others. They are way too concerned about safety features that they limit hp gains way lower than others. Seems to me that the best 3 programmers are Edge, Smarty, Quadzilla. Just a suggestion buy used you save alot of money by doing that. Plus the mpg gain pays you back faster than if you bought new. I bought my $800ish Quadzilla programmer for 300 bucks from ebay.

ramthis9501
07-23-2011, 11:26 PM
So you bought yours from a previous owner? What if it's locked to a certain vin number though?

03 Rammer
07-24-2011, 12:03 AM
So you bought yours from a previous owner? What if it's locked to a certain vin number though?

These dont flash the computer they work with it. U just plug in and set up. A superchip for instance flashes it and must be turned back to stock brfore u sell it.

ramthis9501
07-24-2011, 12:45 AM
So getting a used edge would be a good way to go?

Smitty
07-24-2011, 10:18 AM
These dont flash the computer they work with it. U just plug in and set up. A superchip for instance flashes it and must be turned back to stock brfore u sell it.

Same with Smarty. Have to set back to stock.

Ramthis, are you looking for something to use on-the-fly, or just program and go?

Smitty
07-24-2011, 10:29 AM

You would need to do some research to see what you are getting for that specific model. I would assume that a used Edge from 2010 may have better goodies than a 2008 model. You may be able to go to the Edge web site and do some research there.

Would also need to do some research as to what is involved in installing the Edge. I do believe you will need to get a EGT probe that will need to be installed into the exhaust manifold. Normally the probe is extra and may not come with the Edge set. Will need to make sure you get all the cables etc. Does the Edge have the latest software, can you upgrade form Edge if need be?

I have the Edge Insight (just the monitor; for gauges) and I had to order the probe separate. you have to drill and tap the probe into the manifold.

Not a discouragement from buying used. Just make sure you know what you are getting!

ramthis9501
07-24-2011, 12:28 PM
Same with Smarty. Have to set back to stock.

Ramthis, are you looking for something to use on-the-fly, or just program and go?

Want on the go

ramthis9501
07-24-2011, 12:30 PM
You would need to do some research to see what you are getting for that specific model. I would assume that a used Edge from 2010 may have better goodies than a 2008 model. You may be able to go to the Edge web site and do some research there.

Would also need to do some research as to what is involved in installing the Edge. I do believe you will need to get a EGT probe that will need to be installed into the exhaust manifold. Normally the probe is extra and may not come with the Edge set. Will need to make sure you get all the cables etc. Does the Edge have the latest software, can you upgrade form Edge if need be?

I have the Edge Insight (just the monitor; for gauges) and I had to order the probe separate. you have to drill and tap the probe into the manifold.

Not a discouragement from buying used. Just make sure you know what you are getting!

I think it reads that through the ecu somehow. I know you have to do that with the Banks programmer but I don't think you have to with the Edge.

Smitty
07-24-2011, 01:09 PM
Had to do it with my Edge! Why I was saying you need to make sure of what you are getting and what is needed.

If your Dad still has stock tranny. Needs to be careful!

ramthis9501
07-24-2011, 02:25 PM
Oh ok sorry didn't see that part haha did you get a new tranny or something?

4XLGator
07-24-2011, 03:29 PM
Colton, Smitty is not saying you have to get a new transmission, although having it "beefed up" is an excellent idea. I believe most guys have billet shafts and torque converters installed. You/your dad just have to be careful. If you buy a programmer and set it on the high setting and dog the truck, you have a MUCH better chance to tear up the transmission. This is one of the reasons Banks programmer don't have huge hp gains (they are being "safe"), which in turn is one of the reasons why diesel drivers don't like Banks programmers.

I have spent a lot of time on Doghouse Diesel's website, reading posts from Rich (the owner) and even having forum conversations with him back in my DF days. I truly believe Rich would not intentionally steer anyone in the wrong direction. Judging by Smitty's comments above, I seems to feel the same way. To tell you what I mean by truly, when I am ready to start performance mods I am seriously considering setting up what I want with Rich, taking vacation time off from work and driving to Alabama for him/his shop to do the work.

In regard to which programmer to get, I'm still not even sure which one I will buy and I have been reading about them and asking questions for well over a year now. Like anything, I believe they all have their pluses and minuses where one is strong in this aspect and another is strong in that aspect. I do know some are a lot easier to set up and use than others, like Smitty commented.

Also, you may want to check out Thoroughbred Diesel's YouTube videos of Edge Installs. Most are usually 8 to 10 minutes long and they briefly run through how to install, set up and also show dyno runs after installs. I'm not saying to use, or recommending Thoroughbred, simply saying to check out their videos.

Good luck bud, and let us know what you end up with, and your likes and dislikes about it.

03 Rammer
07-24-2011, 04:03 PM

Yes unless you want the latest and newest thing out there. I see lots of Edge Juice with Attitude used on Cumminsforum going for 400-500. The new edge programmers have color screen display a small one and a big one I think Called CTS If you dont care for that type of thing a used model is fine. IMHO new programmers and way over priced.

Ramthis, I would make a strong suggestion since it sounds like your new to the diesel stuff. Find a local diesel performance shop and see what they say. Ask questions and ask for comparisions. Any good shop will take care of you and do it right.

I will also say start saving up for a tranny build project once you get the programmer. I am currently doing the same. :)

ramthis9501
07-24-2011, 04:06 PM
Ok thanks Lee, I know that dogging it all the time will potentially screw things up. The thing my dad wants most out of it is fuel mileage. So what I'm thinking ia getting the Edge since it's on the fly, that way if it's set for fuel mileage cruising down the road, then some dude in a ford comes up beside us thinking he's all bad, just set it to 5 and blow his doors off :D I wonder if there's a way I could get the egt probe off of ebay or something

03 Rammer
07-24-2011, 04:12 PM
Ok thanks Lee, I know that dogging it all the time will potentially screw things up. The thing my dad wants most out of it is fuel mileage. So what I'm thinking ia getting the Edge since it's on the fly, that way if it's set for fuel mileage cruising down the road, then some dude in a ford comes up beside us thinking he's all bad, just set it to 5 and blow his doors off :D I wonder if there's a way I could get the egt probe off of ebay or something

When I was considering getting an edge I was told I had to buy the probe from edge. Maybe an online diesel shop will sell them like XDP or throughbread diesel.

And my Quadzilla goes to level 10 ;) with 160hp gains