PDA

View Full Version : Wheel bearings

BAD HABIT
07-18-2011, 09:37 PM
So today to my surprise I find my ds wheel bearing is shot, so I need to replace them. I have found prices from 120 ea to 150 a pair w/ lifetime warranty, my question is if I have 4wheel abs or rear wheel abs or what cause it really matters....it is what it is and if I'm lowering I might as well have new ones, I'm gonna do my ball joints too when I lower it so 1 alignment is done...and I'm sue shocks are in there too somewhere as they are factory lol...Damn suspension will be redone in a short few months....ugh......I can already feel the heat, sweat, and empty wallet.....
Sent from my badass EVO on TapaTalk....

AWE Daniel
07-18-2011, 09:43 PM
Im right there with ya I think my front shocks are wore out

4XLGator
07-18-2011, 09:43 PM
that blows

SmokedRam
07-18-2011, 09:49 PM
Easiest way to find out is crawl under there and see if you have the harness going to each wheel bearing up front...if you do, BAM, 4WABS...if you dont 2WABS...is there a little sticker in your glove box with the gear ratio and stuff on it? It might say on there.

Redtruck-VA
07-19-2011, 07:29 AM
Jay, the wheel bearing replacement doesn't require re-alignment. Tie-rod ends, ball joints and the drop will require alignment. Often folks will adjust the drop after the initial drop is done. If you are certain with what you want you might go ahead and do both before the alignment is done. Spindles with 6-7 inch of spring cut is typical. Good luck.

Smitty
07-19-2011, 08:00 AM
Im right there with ya I think my front shocks are wore out

Just replaced all 4 this weekend. Went with the Bilsteins.

BAD HABIT
07-19-2011, 09:17 AM
Greg, thanks and I'm aware of such, ill replace wheel bearings ASAP when I do my drop ill do ball joints that way its 1 alignment instead of doing them right now, kill 2 birds with 1 stone, figuratively. Shocks will most likely be done too around drop time...

Redtruck-VA
07-19-2011, 10:59 AM
Greg, thanks and I'm aware of such, ill replace wheel bearings ASAP when I do my drop ill do ball joints that way its 1 alignment instead of doing them right now, kill 2 birds with 1 stone, figuratively. Shocks will most likely be done too around drop time...

That's why I mention going ahead and cutting the coils at the same time. And of course you know the spindle kit uses stock front shocks. The rear can also use the stock shock with the extensions, but I prefer not using the extensions. So you have to hunt around for the right shock. I used the Monroe online spec sheet to look them up.
I am particularly watchful of my front bearing as the clearance on the lower ball joint nut and the 17" wheels is very close. Good luck, you are going to like it dropped.