View Full Version : Shiftlight problems

Redtruck-VA
07-14-2011, 09:32 PM
This is suppose to be simple. I had a Autometer shiftlight that also reads rpm. I connected the rpm trigger to #8 injector and it seemed to work as the rpm readout was correct. Adjusted the set point to 3k and it worked fine. adjusted the set point to my shift point and the shiftlight would cut off and flash on decel and wouldn't flash at it's set point. Connected the trigger to a window switch and seemed a little more stable, but still not working correctly. Installed a Autometer Tach Adapter that is connected to the coils and has a 12v output. And my guess is solid. Changed to a used Proform shiftlight triggered from the Tach Adapter, I'm able to adjust the set points at lower rpm's but again as I roll up the set point it doesn't work. The installations are done in the manner described in the installation instruction. Anyone running a shiftlight having similar problems.

Thanks,

AWE Daniel
07-14-2011, 09:43 PM
Any way to pull Rpm from obd port? What exactly is it doing, too soon or too late?

SmokedRam
07-14-2011, 09:52 PM
IM telling ya what Greg...when ever Jay and Kevin need to make a "TECH SECTION" Mod, they need to get you on there.

Redtruck-VA
07-14-2011, 09:55 PM
Any way to pull Rpm from obd port? What exactly is it doing, too soon or too late?

I have the AeroForce plugged into the OBD port. I'm just frustrated right now as the Tach Adapter should be 100% solid and obvious I have signal degradation at higher rpm's. I'll get it sorted out tomorrow. Thanks,

Redtruck-VA
07-14-2011, 09:58 PM
IM telling ya what Greg...when ever Jay and Kevin need to make a "TECH SECTION" Mod, they need to get you on there.

As much trouble I have installing simple stuff, I should be able to at least show folks how not to install stuff....

truckin
07-15-2011, 10:08 PM
Does the ai read rpm on your year? On mine, I tried to program the ai with the shift points since I shift right at about the same points 1-2 and 2-3 and for whatever reason the ai and the truck didn't like that idea, in fact having just the rpm window open on the ai has caused me issues with the rpms bouncing. Its to much of a coincidence to be anything else. Try unplugging the ai and then run your shift light and see if it does anything.

Redtruck-VA
07-16-2011, 07:42 AM
Ryan, I never thought about a relation between the OBDII port and the trigger points I'm using but I will give it a try.

Thanks,

AParrette
07-16-2011, 11:04 AM
isnt there a delay in the aeroforce and also where it skips over stuff for up to 4 seconds?

Redtruck-VA
07-16-2011, 01:00 PM
isnt there a delay in the aeroforce and also where it skips over stuff for up to 4 seconds?

I'll have to look it up. But I believe it is measured in milli seconds. Watching rpm at the same time on different gauges show slightly different readings no doubt due to different sample rates.

Redtruck-VA
07-17-2011, 06:26 PM
Ok, the install instructions says on a hemi the wiring requires that you choose a bank and parallel the ignition coils and route the 12v (ASD) source through the Tach Adapter (AutoMeter 9117). I stripped the wires and separated the injector harness from the ign coils on the passenger side. rewired it to remove all reduntant wires. Actually not hard, but you do have to keep track of what you are doing. I left the harness unwrapped so I could easily go back into it if necessary. Test drove it and it is running good, but the shiftlight is still eractic high up. Changed trigger source to the window switch. Same deal. Will try a trigger from a injector tomorrow.

http://img42.imageshack.us/img42/1070/img2011071400160.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/42/img2011071400160.jpg/)

http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/2331/img2011071700161.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/62/img2011071700161.jpg/)

Redtruck-VA
07-19-2011, 07:52 PM
Ok, I connected the shiftlight trigger to #1 injector and it works perfect. I started with a trigger from #8 injector, so what the hell? I've had the damn shiftlight connected to everything from a left turn signal to a Autometer 9117 tach adapter. But anyway it's working, now I have to straighten up my wiring harness.

truckin
07-19-2011, 08:57 PM
Glad to hear its working right

SmokedRam
07-19-2011, 08:59 PM
Whoot!!!

4XLGator
07-19-2011, 09:03 PM
Good job, Greg!

Redtruck-VA
07-20-2011, 10:23 AM
Sometimes I really don't understand what is going on. This absolutely makes no sense as I used #8 injector which works fine with the PSC1, but doesn't work with the shiftlight (lazy). I have a rpm window switch connected to the Autometer Tach adapter and works fine and I connected the shiftlight to the tach output from the window switch and failed (lazy) and then I go back to another injector it works. The only root change that wasn't a trigger was I changed ground location. But I checked before and after and both were good grounds. The injector/ign coil wiring loom is much more complex then is needed. I 'll write up a little note on how it works in another thread. Just watch out for the gremlin's they like to play their games and mess with logic. lol

truckin
07-24-2011, 12:16 AM
Could it have been pulling to much voltage from one of the other locations already in use?

Redtruck-VA
07-24-2011, 08:33 AM
Could it have been pulling to much voltage from one of the other locations already in use?

Ryan, I don't have the technical specification for the different add-on's but they normally have a high impedance input when they just tap a source. When you cut the source and actually splice into the wire they have a low impedance. The AutoMeter Tach Adapter should have been the heavy duty source for add-on's as it spliced into the ignition coils power source and generates a tach output within it's own circuitry. Along with using the recommended AutoMeter shiftlight this should have been the best it gets and it failed. I need an ociliscope to check the signal quality from different source's to see how they distort as rpm increases. The Autometer Tach Adapter is suppose to generate a quality square wave that is dependable. Maybe the tach adapter is bad? IDK.