View Full Version : Aftermarket Headunit Question

Preston2291
07-12-2011, 09:56 PM
Ok guys so im looking at getting an aftermarket head unit.
My eyes are on an Alpine Unit that has alot of features that i like but i have a dilemma...Crutchfield is saying that i need a 150 dollar box so that my speakers will work with an aftermarket headunit...

Is this True?

Headunit- http://www.crutchfield.com/s_500CDA105/Alpine-CDA-105.html?tp=5684

Box- http://www.crutchfield.com/p_120CHTO02/Metra-CHTO-02-Interface.html?tp=3486

AWE Daniel
07-12-2011, 10:01 PM
Do you have the infinity system, if yes than that is true

Preston2291
07-12-2011, 10:04 PM
yes sir i do its a laramie with the infinity sound system

RamSport97
07-12-2011, 10:07 PM
Call Crutchfield, and do whatever they say. They won't steer you wrong.

4XLGator
07-12-2011, 10:21 PM
True, Crutchfield will not steer you wrong but you can beat their prices. Try SonicElectronix.com

RamSport97
07-12-2011, 10:24 PM
I've ordered from SonicElectronix as well. Also a good company. Just can't beat Crutchfield's Service, and they will usually match or beat prices if you are on the phone with them.

4XLGator
07-12-2011, 10:26 PM
^ If they will match, then I would ask them to match because their customer service and tech support is top notch.

4XLGator
07-12-2011, 10:26 PM
Patrick, when are you going to ATL?

RamSport97
07-16-2011, 01:31 AM
Patrick, when are you going to ATL?

Hey Lee, sorry I am late to reply. I went up Wednesday and got her.

OklaHemi
07-16-2011, 08:18 AM
Hey preston what year is your truck? I looked but all I can find is that its a 4.7 laramie. I have an 04 with the infinity and was told to get the bypass and I refused to pay 150.00 that is what the HU cost. So I wired it up with a regular harness and it didnt work. The truck said something about can bus failure and I had no lights to thw dash either so I took it out, checked all the wires and put it back in. and it worked. I didnt change anything on the wires just took it out and put it in. and I have been running it like that for over a year. For the 150.00 you will be better off replacing the door speakers and using an external amp to power them. The dodge infinity speaker system is a way overpriced joke. I wanted to cry when I would get into my tahoe with the facory bose system then get into my truck.

AWE Daniel
07-16-2011, 08:25 AM
I think his is an 05

OklaHemi
07-16-2011, 08:26 AM
Amp
http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/p_22252_Alpine_KTP-445.aspx

front
http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/p_18867_Alpine_SPS-507.aspx

rear
http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/p_18864_Alpine_SPS-500.aspx

thats 231.00 not shopping around at all and you will be much happier with the quality of sound.

4XLGator
07-16-2011, 11:19 AM
good lookin' out Mike. i would assume my 7-speaker infinity system is the same as everyone else's.

garner
07-16-2011, 12:23 PM
The dodge infinity speaker system is a way overpriced joke. I wanted to cry when I would get into my tahoe with the facory bose system then get into my truck.

Same with the alpine, although the alpine is way ahead of the infinity. Buddy has a 98 oldsmobile with the bose and it seems to bang harder than the alpine

OklaHemi
07-16-2011, 12:50 PM
A oem inserted alpine? I thought they were using kicker now. I remember when I took out thE paper infinity hencho in Mexico speakers it was great. My alpine type-rs blow the Bose in the tahoe out of the water but stock to stock the Bose has one of the best factory sounds. I also replaced all the factory wires, it took some time but was worth it

garner
07-16-2011, 12:52 PM
A oem inserted alpine? I thought they were using kicker now. I remember when I took out thE paper infinity hencho in Mexico speakers it was great. My alpine type-rs blow the Bose in the tahoe out of the water but stock to stock the Bose has one of the best factory sounds. I also replaced all the factory wires, it took some time but was worth it

The upgraded system is alpine in the rams. The cars use kicker as upgraded

Edit: Chargers use alpine, challenger uses boston acoustics but the srt uses kicker, durango uses alpine, nitro uses infinity

OklaHemi
07-16-2011, 12:59 PM
good lookin' out Mike. i would assume my 7-speaker infinity system is the same as everyone else's.

I know in the 08's they upgraded and stopped using paper cones in the infinity system and I think the 6x9 in mine were some kind of hybrid crap the 5,25 were all paper. And I believe in the 06+ you do have to have the amp bypass module. The can bus controls everything in those models.

I have installed the type r alpines in 4 different rams with different amps and I wouldn't change a thing about the door speakers. I would like some type x subwoofers as oppose to the type-r though. The ones I have now are great I just want more, 1000w to the subs is not enough. I have to turn down the gain on the door speakers because of how loud they can get with 100w rms being fed to each one and they never strain or crack

MikeHTally
08-10-2011, 07:07 PM
Call Crutchfield, and do whatever they say. They won't steer you wrong.Crutchfield doesn't even know the front speaker size.

RamSport97
08-10-2011, 07:18 PM
Crutchfield doesn't even know the front speaker size.

Yeah they do.

4XLGator
08-10-2011, 09:01 PM
I have been stereo shopping for the last couple of weeks. I'm not sure what year Dodge started it, but my truck definitely has a CANbus system and thus requires two modules (about $80 each) to connect to the factory wiring. One is to turn on the factory amplifier and the other is to interface with steering wheel controls. Even if you don't want steering wheel controls, there is still another module you have to have...which seems odd to me.

Now, I was planning a complete upgrade until I saw pricing on the HU's. And I cannot believe the pricing discrepancy for the same exact HU between sellers. The main one being Crutchfield...they are $500 more than the best price I've found. If what Patrick says is true, I will call Crutchfield for a price match, because I have bought a few stereos/CD changers from them and their tech support is second to none in my opinion.

AWE Daniel
08-10-2011, 10:10 PM
Lee the reason you will need that extra module is because car companies are starting to run the door chime circuit through the door speakers, so they run a loop through the head unit, so if you dont get that module, the loop doesnt close right and funny things happen.

At least this was the way it was in my Caddy, Im sure its pretty much the same deal in all the newer vehicles.

Preston2291
10-10-2011, 03:08 PM
when i ordered my HU from crutchfield since it was over a certain price they gave me a 50% discount on the module for the aftermarket headunit

Preston2291
10-10-2011, 03:09 PM
also i was just thinking, i will be getting an aftermarket system in a little while so lee if you do need the module i will let er go for a cheaper price cause your SEM family

4XLGator
10-10-2011, 06:19 PM
I've ordered from SonicElectronix as well. Also a good company. Just can't beat Crutchfield's Service, and they will usually match or beat prices if you are on the phone with them.

I called Crutchfield and asked if they would match the price for the same HU I found at another online, authorized Kenwood retailer. They told me "no sir, absolutely not".

when i ordered my HU from crutchfield since it was over a certain price they gave me a 50% discount on the module for the aftermarket headunit

also i was just thinking, i will be getting an aftermarket system in a little while so lee if you do need the module i will let er go for a cheaper price cause your SEM family

Thanks Preston. But I'm confused with your posts...you just bought a new HU and you're gonna buy another one in a little while?

And actually, both Crutchfield and Sonic Electronix discount the necessary modules when you buy a new HU, actually about half price.

Preston2291
10-10-2011, 07:07 PM
no lee when i replaced my factory HU i got the module.

if you check my post in the audio section called new audio system, im getting rid of the factory infinity speakers and amp and going all after market

4XLGator
10-10-2011, 07:57 PM
^ Yeah, saw your other post after I commented but got sidetracked and forgot to come back to this one and edit. It depends on what kind of stereo you have and what kind I buy, unless you bought a universal module.

And what about your steering wheel control module....you're going to keep it, right?

Preston2291
10-10-2011, 08:17 PM
the one for the factory one i got is a universal for most 2002-2009 vehicles from what crutchfield told me.

and about the steering wheel module i never got that one so ive been rockin the old school HU knob method, lol...its on my to do list after my speaker upgrade, lol