View Full Version : Need some advise here, please

SmokedRam
07-06-2011, 10:39 PM
Okay, on Ebay there are two different types of level kits for my truck...the urethane ones by Daystar, which I can get up to 2.0 inches and some billet ones, which are 3.0 inches....

Is there any added benefit to the billet ones?

Will the 3.0 ones put my ball joints and/or tie rods at dangerously funky angles?

txbass06
07-06-2011, 10:50 PM
Measure the difference in height from the ground and edge of your wheel well. I'm running a 2.5" level from daystar and haven't had a single problem out of mine

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

4XLGator
07-06-2011, 10:52 PM
Nevermind that PM, I see why you're asking.

I'm not sure, it seems billet may be stronger than urethane but I know they use urethane for lift kits a lot. Are the billet ones expensive? I have Hell Bent Steel ones, think they cost $65. But wouldn't 3" be too much for your truck? Your truck isn't that unlevel as it sits now, is it?

SmokedRam
07-06-2011, 10:53 PM
Measure the difference in height from the ground and edge of your wheel well. I'm running a 2.5" level from daystar and haven't had a single problem out of mine

Yeah, I just wanna know if the billet would be better than the Daystar...I am 95% sure that the 2" will level me out...

I can get the 2" Daystar spacers with ProComp shocks for $149 from Fatbobs on ebay...the billet ones I was looking at were right around $110...but if the billet would last longer and not wear like the Daystar ones might, they might be the better choice.

SmokedRam
07-06-2011, 10:56 PM
Nevermind that PM, I see why you're asking.

I'm not sure, it seems billet may be stronger than urethane but I know they use urethane for lift kits a lot. Are the billet ones expensive? I have Hell Bent Steel ones, think they cost $65. But wouldn't 3" be too much for your truck? Your truck isn't that unlevel as it sits now, is it?

If I got the 3" ones, I could get a 1" block for the rear and it would allow me to clear a larger tire than the 2" would.

IIRC, I was talking to someone on FB that said with his 2WD with the 2" Daystar kit, he gets a little rub with the 285 tires.

4XLGator
07-06-2011, 10:59 PM
Gotcha...didn't realize you were talking about doing 1" blocks to. My HBS are 2.5" and added 1" blocks later because my truck appeared to be sagging just a bit in the rear, which I'm not fond of.

Rubbing sucks! I had that problem too, but only because the backspacing on my wheels are not Dodge correct.

How tall is a 285 tire...33"?

txbass06
07-06-2011, 11:00 PM
I'm guessing the 2wd's don't have a block in the back from the factory?

SmokedRam
07-06-2011, 11:01 PM
I'm guessing the 2wd's don't have a block in the back from the factory?

No sir...not mine anyways

SmokedRam
07-06-2011, 11:03 PM
Gotcha...didn't realize you were talking about doing 1" blocks to. My HBS are 2.5" and added 1" blocks later because my truck appeared to be sagging just a bit in the rear, which I'm not fond of.

Rubbing sucks! I had that problem too, but only because the backspacing on my wheels are not Dodge correct.

How tall is a 285 tire...33"?

A 285 is 32.8, so yeah right at 33"...I would ONLY do the block in the rear if I were to get the 3" ones...but then again, being a daily driver, I dont wanna put my steering components at any funky angles...

4XLGator
07-06-2011, 11:05 PM
That 1" Top Gun Customz block kit I got is well made! It can spin out because of it's design...has 3" holes instead of just one like most blocks. Cost right at $100 though, but that includes u-bolts and nuts.

4XLGator
07-06-2011, 11:06 PM
I gotcha Adam. I'm not sure if 3" would affect steering components or cause funky angles or not bud.

Redtruck-VA
07-07-2011, 08:32 AM
You might also take a floor jack and lift the chasis 2" and then 3" to see what angles you have to deal with. This might help in deciding.

SmokedRam
07-08-2011, 01:16 AM
okay...just measured the front and rear from the ground to the bottom of the fender lip...

Front= 33.5 inches

Rear= 36.75 inches

Now, I am 95% sure this truck is sitting on stock shocks, so I wonder how much of that I can make up with new shocks...thinking an inch at least??? then I can get the 2 inch spacers (urethane)

txbass06
07-08-2011, 01:30 AM
I know mine sat about 3/4" higher in the rear after replacing my shocks with some Monroe's. Didn't measure the front since I did the leveling kit at the same time

Redtruck-VA
07-08-2011, 09:23 AM
Don't rely on shocks for lift unless they were designed to lift (spring or air bag assist). Shocks only control movement and do not support wieght.