View Full Version : Tuning

Redtruck-VA
07-05-2011, 10:49 AM
First off, let me say I love fuel injection. No more pulling float bowls, getting burned on hot engines, spilling gas all over the place and the occassional fire. What I have found and please pitch in if you have done things differently or found something that works. Is that the engine likes to be a little fat running in the lower rpm's under low manifold pressure. In other words WOT coming out of the hole. As the engine reaches toward 4500-5000 rpm I like to start transitioning toward a leaner mixture. This is where knock can start. And of course our PCM will step in to save the motor by retarding advance. Pulling timing effectively kills power. I'm tuned to run A/F 12.6 WOT pulling top end (5800+) and depending on the temperature may have some timing pulled. I like having the knock sensors functional so defeating them is not the answer. But water/methanol injections would certainly do the trick. Haven't decided on what triggers to use yet, but no doubt a combination of rpm and manifold pressure would be the safest. Could also use rpm, TPS and MAP voltage. So the plan is to leaner down for power and use mist to keep from having detonation and timing pulled. Any thoughts are appreciated.

Redtruck-VA
07-06-2011, 04:26 PM
I see I'm not getting any response on this subject so maybe I'll try tying this to thermostat's. lol ... It's not the complete reach as it might first look as detonation is all about combustion chamber temperature. Which is the result of engine temperature, fuel density (A/F), flame propagations and compression. Many of us who monitor such things, see timing pulled at WOT as the result of detonation (knock). I ran a water injection back in the day that could have been setup a lot better, but now there are some really nice water/methanol systems available. Plus it is not expensive to run. A gallon of water/methanol as long as the mixture is less than 50% alcohol won't freely ignite. A typical source is common windshield washer fluid from the local parts store. Needs to the winter blend (de-icer). So IMO, this isn't just for the Forced Induction guys. We can all benefit.

ramthis9501
07-06-2011, 04:42 PM
So your saying to mix windshield wiper fluid in with the coolant will help performance?

Redtruck-VA
07-06-2011, 04:48 PM
So your saying to mix windshield wiper fluid in with the coolant will help performance?

Oh hell no....
God am I speaking tongues in public?

I'm talking about water/Methanol injection.

ramthis9501
07-06-2011, 04:50 PM
Oh ok just making sure, sorry guess im kind of dumb when it gets that technical lol

truckin
07-08-2011, 11:20 PM
How much KR are you seeing at WOT?

Redtruck-VA
07-09-2011, 07:15 AM
Ryan, it depends on the temperature the level of kr, but I can also tune it out. It's just I feel leaning the A/F for optinum power the kr can be eliminated by water/meth injection. There are articules stating street gas can have it's octane boosted considerably using water/meth injection.