View Full Version : Shift light install

Redtruck-VA
06-22-2011, 10:51 AM
I installed a AutoMeter level one shift light. It compliments the floor shift nicely. My rpm window switch is located near and it had a tach output along with 12vdc and ground wire. Really easy install.

http://img43.imageshack.us/img43/1918/img2011062200145.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/43/img2011062200145.jpg/)

NOTPAID4
06-22-2011, 11:36 AM
That looks awesome!!! I also have a three guage pillar pod with gauges but cannot find anyone to install them....sigh!

Redtruck-VA
06-22-2011, 11:50 AM
That looks awesome!!! I also have a three guage pillar pod with gauges but cannot find anyone to install them....sigh!

Jim, what gauges are you mounting? This stuff is super easy. Mostly based around ign 12v, grd and a trigger source. AeroForce just pluggs into the OBDII port. Why not do it yourself?

AParrette
06-22-2011, 12:09 PM
mines gonna suck, i'm going for wideband, trans temp and boost for my triple a pillar and than dual aeroforce for the hud pod. voltage and vacuum (vac = hunt for good gas mileage)

so ya i'll have what i want for gauges before i go aeroforce for the other stuff

Redtruck-VA
06-22-2011, 12:58 PM
I use the AeroForce for Trans temp, water temp, wide band, knock, all the stuff. I even had my Trans LP connected. When the LP sensor failed it took my AeroForce out. IDK, what it did, but I disconnected the LP sensor and the AeroForce came back on later. The unhappy part is that I now realize how totally dependent I am on the single gage. Another thing is that the gage is not always spot on in relation with time. It sample the multibus and that can be adjusted. But don't use it as a shift light even through it has that function. If you look at the picture the Aeroforce and the shift light are reading different rpm's. That's because the AeroForce reads off of samples.

AParrette
06-22-2011, 02:37 PM
thats why i'm gonna get the aero last
i know a bunch of ppl w/ em and they say its the best just a tad slow

and considering i'm gonna get custom tuning i need an up to date gauges at a single instance

Redtruck-VA
06-22-2011, 03:14 PM
thats why i'm gonna get the aero last
i know a bunch of ppl w/ em and they say its the best just a tad slow

and considering i'm gonna get custom tuning i need an up to date gauges at a single instance

The sampling rate can be increased but with that said IMO it is good the way it is except when relaying on the announciator to act as a shiftlight. Actually the announciator is a warning light and can be activated by any of the programed inputs. I'm setting mine up to monitor the knock sensor, so I know when I have any knock retard. A/F wideband monitor obviously is your key tool when it comes to custom tuning. I would recommend using a A/F monitor that has a datalog capability. Good luck..

AParrette
06-22-2011, 04:05 PM
well luckily the ones i finally settled on have data log

http://www.glowshiftdirect.com/Black-Face-Wideband-Air-Fuel-Gauge.aspx

what sucks is the car has black gauges
i could switch to white face but it wouldnt match the car in the end

Redtruck-VA
06-22-2011, 04:52 PM
well luckily the ones i finally settled on have data log

http://www.glowshiftdirect.com/Black-Face-Wideband-Air-Fuel-Gauge.aspx

what sucks is the car has black gauges
i could switch to white face but it wouldnt match the car in the end

That looks like a nice gauge, but $200 you can add a A/F wideband to a AeroForce gauge. The gauge says it has a 5vdc output. This output could be used to drive the AeroForce gauge but then that doesn't make a lot of sense. I don't know how that output could be used to record datalogging. I am sure someone knows how. But my thought is to have a gauge that inputs to a laptop to actually record a datalog run. This can then be reviewed and your fuel map adjusted accordingly. Obviously I haven't researched this at all. But i have an idea of the product I want. Right now I'm physically monitoring my A/F gauge and my laptop software live. This is way too busy for me to be happy with.

Onk
06-22-2011, 05:07 PM
Sweeeet!!!

4XLGator
06-22-2011, 09:35 PM
Shift light looks great, Greg.

Redtruck-VA
06-22-2011, 09:54 PM
Lee, thanks the tach/shift llite should make shifting easier.

NOTPAID4
06-22-2011, 11:09 PM
Jim, what gauges are you mounting? This stuff is super easy. Mostly based around ign 12v, grd and a trigger source. AeroForce just pluggs into the OBDII port. Why not do it yourself?

Don't even remember any more; had 'em over a year and got disappointed and they are back in the garage somewhere. I know one is for oil pressure; remember the coupler for under the oil filter. Believe the others are Temp and volts, mine are NOT digital, if I even remember correctly! Love the way yours' look!!!

Storm Rider
06-23-2011, 07:10 AM
Sweeeet !!