PDA

View Full Version : Passangers fall to the ground when getting in???

03 Rammer
06-21-2011, 12:43 PM
As some of you know there are issues with our stock A-pillars a.k.a oh shit bars, breaking while being grabbed on. Multiple lawsuits have happened because of this etc etc. Well on Saturday my brother in law broke my passenger side one and almost hit is head on the trucks door sill. Lucky for all of us he is quick on his feet lol

That being said. I came into work today and on my down time looked up another handle and bought it. I was surprised to see that Chrysler has addressed this issue somewhat.

Things I noticed. The plastic where the bolts go through is much thicker. The channel that the bolts drop down are also thicker and there is no slits in that channel anymore like the stock ones.

Part numbers I'm talking about are 1TE74TL2AA (list 31.00) and 1TE75TL2AA (list 33.00)

Just thought I'd share

FYI the A-pillar handles are not supposed to be used to help pull you up into the truck Which I knew but most passengers don't.

Here is the stock one:

Notice that split down the channel and the little thiner plastic where the screw goes through.
http://i897.photobucket.com/albums/ac176/03rammer/IMAG0625.jpg

Here is the new improved superceeded one:

Notice no split down the channel and thicker plastic.
http://i897.photobucket.com/albums/ac176/03rammer/IMAG0627.jpg

Oh and yeah the new one comes with some type of fabric on the inside as the stock one didn't.

OklaHemi
06-21-2011, 12:58 PM
Looks beefy..We call them oh shit bars here. That's what the passengers grab when they get skeered

03 Rammer
06-21-2011, 01:08 PM
Looks beefy..We call them oh shit bars here. That's what the passengers grab when they get skeered

Yep thats what we call them too. The correct name is an A-pillar grab handle lol

My wife grabs onto the oh shit bars all the time and she knows them by that name lol

Storm Rider
06-21-2011, 05:29 PM
It must be a wife thing, cause mine grabs that handle all the time. I noticed this week that mine seems to be a little loose. Just thought it was getting old as I own a '98. I will probably invest in the new handle shortly. Thanks for the heads up or down. LOL

03 Rammer
06-21-2011, 06:00 PM
It must be a wife thing, cause mine grabs that handle all the time. I noticed this week that mine seems to be a little loose. Just thought it was getting old as I own a '98. I will probably invest in the new handle shortly. Thanks for the heads up or down. LOL

Nope its a defect of our truck. Lots of people break them. Skinny people fat people young people old people etc. There were lots of lawsuites from older couples using them to help get in the truck. You know like snowbirds lol But it was my brother in law 260lbs that broke it :)

4XLGator
06-21-2011, 06:17 PM
I haven't noticed anything going on with mine, but it does sound sudden when it happens. And people are always grabbing mine to get in...mine's kinda high.

BTW, I call them a JOSH...Joe's "oh shit!" handle. Story time (ala Greg)....I named them JOSH after one event that happened in my truck back in my high school days. Me and a buddy of mine (named Joe) were riding around and goofing off one Saturday afternoon in the rain, there were several dirt roads and mudholes around here back then. I bailed off an incline sideways towards an old creek bed and he said "oh shit" when I did...we've been calling them that ever since.

Storm Rider
06-21-2011, 06:20 PM
That is a great story. Shows we grow up hopefully.

Onk
06-21-2011, 06:39 PM
I need another new drivers side one...this will be the third one..lol

Ive been using the steering wheel to pull up into but I dont want to bend it...

4XLGator
06-21-2011, 06:51 PM
^ You need a damn 4' step ladder. LOL

4XLGator
06-21-2011, 06:52 PM
That is a great story. Shows we grow up hopefully.

Yes Paul, I definitely haven't bailed off an incline sideways into a creek bed in a truck in a long, long time. I have to pay for stuff I break these days...funny how that works. LOL

03 Rammer
06-21-2011, 10:21 PM
I need another new drivers side one...this will be the third one..lol

Ive been using the steering wheel to pull up into but I dont want to bend it...

There is no way you will bend the steering wheel. The thing that gets damaged when using the steering wheel when getting in is you losen the tilt mechnism bolts after awhile. Simple fix take them out put some thread lock and torque back to spec. Only time steering wheels bend is in the event of an accident.

Redtruck-VA
06-22-2011, 07:07 AM
I've heard of those handles being a problem. Seems they should have metal it them. Old folks need to be careful as we become delicate as we mature. As for mine I just roll in and fall out.