PDA

View Full Version : Underlying issue or Just to damn hot out?

truckin
06-21-2011, 09:42 AM
Trying to figure this one out. Lately my truck seems to be "over heating" but not by over heating standards. I have a 180* T-Stat in there now, normally the truck runs right around 185*-188* (via my AI monitoring the coolant temps) on my trip to and from work but never goes above 188*, stop and go traffic, sitting at a light, romping on it for data log runs etc. Lately though on my ride home it has been hitting up to 208* in stop and go traffic, and when stopped them temperature keeps going up again until I start moving. Its not a rapid increase in temperature but sitting at a light for a few minutes will make the temps jump 5*-10*.

Now I know this is not a huge deal, and definitely not what you would think when someone says they are over heating but its just seems off to me that its now all of a sudden doing this.

What it might also be from (and I am not to sure if this would cause it or not) but its been getting in the 100*+ range for the past few weeks now hitting in the 110-113* range this week so I am wondering if that would have any impact on the temps I am reading with the AI. When I drive the same distance, stop at the same lights etc. in the morning when its in the 80* outside, the temps never go beyond 188* and thats driving around 80-85mph all the way into work on the highway and then sitting waiting for lights.

So should I chalk this one up to the outside temps being so damn hot? or is there a more major problem I need to be looking at like a new T-stat or water pump?

Stealth Mode
06-21-2011, 10:02 AM
Personally, i'd keep a close eye on it but it's probably the heat.

My RAM (sig) alway's chilled at 190, even after the s/c went on. But with this heat it went up and sit's about 205-210 with the a/c on. I ran up one side of my cooling system and down the other to be sure it was just the outside temp and it's really all it could be. Keep the logger on it just to be safe brother. I don't even take mine off anymore. Lol

truckin
06-21-2011, 10:06 AM
Coolant was swapped out in November when we pulled the heads for my cam. I know we replaced my stock radiator because it was leaking with another one we had off another guys truck and filled it with new coolant. Have to go check what the coolant in the overflow looks like, the coolant in the radiator looked good as of Sunday morning (thought it might have been an air bubble so I burped the system). Fan is the stock clutch mounted fan, which seems to be always be engaged.

Do you have the one ton trans cooler? If you do, is this your first summer running it?

truckin
06-21-2011, 11:11 AM
I've had the larger trans cooler in there for probably 2-3 years now, makes the truck on average run 5* hotter, the 185*-188*! Is about par for that cooler plus the 180* T-Stat.

For the temps when its heating up it isn't too hot for the truck to handle, the stock t-stat runs around 203* and im hitting in the 210* range, but im running the 180* t-#tat so its jumping 20-30* at some points.

txbass06
06-21-2011, 11:52 AM
Just too damn hot lol. Good way to check the fan clutch is to get the truck up to normal operating temps, turn it off and see if you can free spin the fan itself. It shouldn't spin much at all if the clutch is engaging properly

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk