View Full Version : Fog light/hid install

BAD HABIT
05-16-2011, 07:01 PM
alright, my truck did not i repeat did not come with fogs, as all you know i bought fogs that are smoked, and have 5k hid's in them, thanks to AWE Daniel i now have got all my parts to now wire them up, is there a way on my 04 to hook them into the factory wiring and have them come on with my heads and go off with my heads, with out the factory style fog light switch?, i know Kevin has told me NO, but its a question i am still confused about cause i know alot changed from the 02,03 models in my 04 and later, I know i have a connection down by my front bumper on the drivers side, i think it could be for factory fogs, but its not on the passenger side....do i find a factory switch, and hope the thing is in as good looking condition my interior dash pcs are, or wire to aux switch?....opinions please.....

Onk
05-16-2011, 07:32 PM
I never said No...you never asked me that particular wiring set up.

If you want to have them work off of your headlight switch, i would just splice into your headlight wiring harnesses. This way when you turn your headlights on, they come on, you turn them off, they go off.

You will have to spice them into your "Low Beams".

BAD HABIT
05-16-2011, 08:33 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300557687409

i found this, and messaged a offer to him to remove the listing...i hope it works

AWE Daniel
05-16-2011, 09:04 PM
If you are running HIDs in the heads I wouldnt splice into the factory wiring!!!! Not without a relay at least, even that I wouldnt do. Just wire em up like you did the driving lights Jay, I dont know how to wire to the factory switch so good luck with that!

BAD HABIT
05-16-2011, 09:08 PM
im trying to win the one posted or find a factory switch so its done right...

03 Rammer
05-16-2011, 09:09 PM
Yes DO NOT splice into the factory wiring. Do it right and use a relay. Just tap into the headlight wire and use a 4 prong relay. One for constant power, one for ground, one as the trigger switch and the other going to the lights. Make sure you tap into the lowbeam wire or they will only go on when you hit your high beams.

03 Rammer
05-16-2011, 09:10 PM
im trying to win the one posted or find a factory switch so its done right...

Do you have the wiring/connector going from the switch down to the lights?

SmokedRam
05-16-2011, 09:14 PM
http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/de/full.aspx?Page=122

03 Rammer
05-16-2011, 09:19 PM
http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/de/full.aspx?Page=122

I love LMC but their prices are still kinda steap. You can find used for way less, like Jay did on ebay. :)

SmokedRam
05-16-2011, 09:21 PM
I love LMC but their prices are still kinda steap. You can find used for way less, like Jay did on ebay. :)

Yeah, I know...but if he wanted to buy new, the price isnt bad...I use them mostly for trying to see what parts are interchangeable, or for finding parts for my father in laws 53 chebby

BAD HABIT
05-16-2011, 09:28 PM
so after i get a switch, i just wire it into the factory harness thats down by the drivers side fog light, then i still need a relay right? then i can just use the switch or is there something else that needs to be done? aaron you kinda confuzzled me....

Onk
05-16-2011, 10:28 PM
ok maybe "splice" was the wrong word....sorry

Storm Rider
05-17-2011, 07:45 AM
Jay - If you are not sure. I would go to someone you trust to do the wiring. You will have all the switches and everything, so you should only be charged for labor. I am like you if I am not 100% sure. Let a pro do it. That is what I did when I had my sequential tail lights done. It was worth it to have them done right and not mess something else up.

AParrette
05-17-2011, 08:39 AM
i ran my fogs off the factory since they were 35w bulbs anyways

03 Rammer
05-17-2011, 08:56 AM
so after i get a switch, i just wire it into the factory harness thats down by the drivers side fog light, then i still need a relay right? then i can just use the switch or is there something else that needs to be done? aaron you kinda confuzzled me....

Your correct there is the harness down by your fog lamp holes. The oem fog lamp kit comes with a new wiring harness. I thought that wiring was from the switch to where ever it goes. After looking at it, its just a jumper wire that runs from the passanger fog to the drivers fog then plugs into the factory wiring. :) So you should be able to get the switch used, plug it in and install your lights and it should work.

The OEM kit comes with 2 lamps, 2 bezels, switch and wiring all for 216 list lol.

BAD HABIT
05-17-2011, 07:08 PM
i got the switch for 17 bucks, wiring im good at Paul, its just so many different stories of what was needed....

4XLGator
05-17-2011, 08:07 PM
^ Wire it up and see if it blows.

EDIT: glows, not blows...that would suck!

BAD HABIT
05-17-2011, 08:29 PM
its gotta come from oregon...priority ship he said so i hope i get it soon, i want these babies working....

Storm Rider
05-18-2011, 07:28 AM
Can't wait to see the pics. I know it will be awesome.

OklaHemi
05-18-2011, 11:59 AM
If you have the wire harness you marty already have the relay. I added gps to my 05 lights and switch only plug and play and everthing worked great. Look in the fuse box under the hood to see if you have the relay

BAD HABIT
05-23-2011, 10:10 PM
got the harness its there, switch came in today, relay is in fuse box, so I'm guessing i'm good to go, just wire the hot side of the fog harness to the hot side of my ballasts, and what ground the rest or hook em up to the ground side of the harness. make sure all wires are clean and zipped up so none show, pop out factory switch plug in new factory switch and voila....is all this correct guys....

AWE Daniel
05-23-2011, 10:59 PM
Ground each ballast seperate and if the relay is grounded you are good to go

OklaHemi
05-24-2011, 12:57 AM
sounds like a plan to me

BAD HABIT
05-24-2011, 06:02 AM
how will i know if the relay is grounded? doesnt the negative wire off the trucks harness go back to the relay, so therefore i would need to ground that?....

AWE Daniel
05-24-2011, 12:42 PM
You arent using your own relay?

BAD HABIT
05-24-2011, 05:13 PM
no, i have everything to wire it up stock....the stock relay is in the fuse box, and i have the new stock headlight switch with fog, are you saying i need my own relay....

OklaHemi
05-24-2011, 05:22 PM
no you should be fine everything is wired you are just missing the fogs and the switch.

BAD HABIT
05-24-2011, 05:23 PM
got everything then, just confused on wiring i guess...do i ground the ballasts to the frame or to the neg side of factory harness....

OklaHemi
05-24-2011, 05:26 PM
you could do either i would think, the factory harness is grounded to the frame at some point. jsut think of it as wiring your hellas with a power source already and ground them to the frame, it will be fine

BAD HABIT
05-25-2011, 07:42 PM
they are a lil yellowed in the pics, they are 5000k and behind tinted glass, but heres the pics, my parking lights are on and one is with flash and one not....i have sylvania blueish bulbs in my parking lights, who knows maybe down the road ill make the hids match my heads when i get them....

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i79/JUSJAY727/BLACKENED/100_6873-1.jpg

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i79/JUSJAY727/BLACKENED/100_6874-1.jpg

Onk
05-25-2011, 07:48 PM
They look a bit yellow...looks good tho...

5000K is more yellow than white tho...

Are you going to get 5000K in the heads to match the fogs, or just get 6000K all the way around?

Redtruck-VA
05-25-2011, 08:04 PM
That is some creative wiring, the oem fogs only come on with the low beam headlights. I use mine for daylight running lights and have them independently wired to a switch.

Silverbullet08
05-25-2011, 08:06 PM
They look a bit yellow...looks good tho...

5000K is more yellow than white tho...

Are you going to get 5000K in the heads to match the fogs, or just get 6000K all the way around?

5000k is white. they are yellow bc the tint does that...

BAD HABIT
05-25-2011, 08:09 PM
exactly Nick, Greg i just wired them to my factory drop down that was under my truck, and added a new headlight switch that has fog option on it, just gotta jump it now, incase i wanna use high beams...Kevin ill be getting 6k for my heads, i may buy some for the fogs too....

4XLGator
05-25-2011, 08:10 PM
Cool beans!

Onk
05-25-2011, 08:17 PM
Trust me...doing the jump mod is going to be a waste of time.

You wont ever use your high beams when you have HIDs....

And dont waste your money on Bi-Xenon....they arent any brighter on "HIGH" then they are on "LOW". The only difference is the beam shifts....and IMO its not worth the money...I have high beams on both the car and the truck, and dont even remember the last time Ive used them....

just my .02

BAD HABIT
05-25-2011, 08:20 PM
no, i didnt plan on bi-xenon, and Kev when you see em in person they wont be as yellow, trust me....

gdog
09-30-2011, 02:56 PM
So are the fogs PnP? or do i need resistors?

03 Rammer
09-30-2011, 03:03 PM
On the Ram trucks they do not need resistors or relays. Just PnP. What type of car/truck do you drive?

gdog
09-30-2011, 03:14 PM
Yeah i have a 2004 1500 supercharged 5.7 all go No show thanks again

03 Rammer
09-30-2011, 03:17 PM
NICE! Hope to see some pics!

4XLGator
10-04-2011, 06:19 PM
On the Ram trucks they do not need resistors or relays. Just PnP. What type of car/truck do you drive?

I am going to be ordering my HID kits soon. I know what to get with for the heads, but I'm a little unclear for the fogs. Do I buy a 9006 kit (with harness and ballasts) for the fogs, or do I just buy 9006 bulbs?

I ask because I keep hearing "you don't need all that shit for the fogs". What shit?...ballasts, harness, canceller relay/resistor?

I need a kit, right?

AWE Daniel
10-04-2011, 08:58 PM
You don't need any resistors or capacitors for the fogs, they are not tied into the lampout system

Preston2291
10-16-2011, 12:01 AM
Lee im also looking at getting an HID kit for my truck but i still have the dire question as to if i should replace the factory lense housings with projectors because a few of my friends keep telling me that its illegal to run HID's without projectors

edit: Also i see that daniel has projectors that keep the current configuration of the turns on the outside...every pair of lenses that i can find separate the bulbs into a low beam/high beam setup and i dont know how you would spilt the factory setup seeing as its a high/low all in one

AWE Daniel
10-16-2011, 03:33 AM
It is not illegal, aimed properly you will have no problems. My set are custom retrofitted so that's why they are same as factory.

blackshadow
10-16-2011, 08:00 AM
Jay most of the time they will wire the trucks the same for all of them and just hide the plugs, it is cost effective to make all of the harnesses the same, they can buy then bulk

Preston2291
10-16-2011, 11:12 AM
It is not illegal, aimed properly you will have no problems. My set are custom retrofitted so that's why they are same as factory.

Ah i see Daniel...say i were to get aftermarket ones that split the beams...how would i go about the wireing for that? ive never seen anywhere on the forums where it says you can split them up. And seeing as there not illegal this is good news to me, HID's incoming soon then!

BAD HABIT
10-16-2011, 07:32 PM
Old thread, my lights have been in and working for a good while, custom is the way to go, but if you can't afford custom proj's just aim em right

Preston2291
10-16-2011, 09:03 PM
im still a little confused a bit...if i keep my factory lenses and get HID's will i have to get the ones that are high/low compatible because of the single. and also how does the high beam work with a single housing?

AWE Daniel
10-16-2011, 10:27 PM
Preston the ones I used had a small halogen high that was attached to the HID, it was there just for looks, it didnt work very well. Other kits use a magnet to pull the bulb back to simulate high beams.

Preston2291
10-16-2011, 11:11 PM
Oh ok yea just like stock. I might just end up getting aftermarket projector lenses....If I do how would I split the wires so that I would retain the high/low feature

Sent from my Hacked 3VO

03 Rammer
10-17-2011, 01:59 PM
Oh ok yea just like stock. I might just end up getting aftermarket projector lenses....If I do how would I split the wires so that I would retain the high/low feature

Sent from my Hacked 3VO

Trying to run hids in the ebay projectors housings is a biotch and look like crap. Mainly because of the poor quality of those projectors. Do it right and do it once. Example Daniels housings. :naughty:

Either get a retro fit done yourself of pay to have it done with a higher quality projector and then get your bixenon kit. Wiring ill be much more simpler than using the ebay ones mainly because they have a projector low beam and a regular halogen high beams separately. With that type of kit you would have to get 2 separate kits to run since you have 2 lamps. Where as if you did a retro fit you can run the bixenon kit with and only have one kit.

I speak from experience, I have had to help someone with those ebay housings and get their hid to work. 2 kits, lots of splicing and extra wiring. Simply was a Pain in the Arse and looked like crap.