View Full Version : Goodbye Transmission..

BassMaster
04-30-2011, 11:39 AM
Was running the truck pretty hard all day yesterday in 80+ mph traffic. Last night stepped on it, smelled something, wasn't the normal catalytic smell either. Pulled the tranny stick and it had that strong burnt smell.

Warranty was over 1200 miles ago. :Grenade:

Need to find a decent replacement and shop to do install.. Any ideas around NE Florida?

AWE Daniel
04-30-2011, 11:43 AM
Dang man that sucks, i only know the places in gainesville.

Redtruck-VA
04-30-2011, 01:01 PM
can you tell us a little about your truck, running hard for a day should not have killed the trans. Do you know what your trans temps were? What is your setup with tires, gears, TC ?
Highway or banging back roads?
Thanks,

FL06SRT10
04-30-2011, 03:46 PM
Check with your dealer you might be able to get it fixed as a goodwill gesture with a small deductible

I've seen transmissions for these trucks come up from time to time on CL for pretty cheap.

03 Rammer
04-30-2011, 07:03 PM
yes I have seen many goodwill repairs done for people just out of warranty. Its worth a shot sometimes they will either pay for it all or split the bill with you. :)

BassMaster
05-01-2011, 08:36 AM
Well ive been having off and on problems with it but this was the first time it's ever started to smell burnt. Been driving easy, the 2-3 shift is trouble some and 1-2 is pretty rough. OD 2 now has PMS.

Redtruck-VA
05-01-2011, 09:20 AM
John, it sounds hurt. Things I would do and check would be, first the fluid level and make sure it is spot on. Then talk with the dealer to see if they will be any help. If not and if the fluid hasn't been changed I would dump the fluid and replace the filters and check for codes. If that doesn't help then have it diagnosed by a good shop. Then if it is serious and needs a rebuild, you can consider a salvage yard replacement, rebuild or upgraded trans. Converter will need to be flushed or replaced. If you want a clean, used stock TC cheap, PM me. I see the Line Pressure as a real weak link with our trans, cruising down the highway with no LP boosters installed I see only 40-43 pounds. If you have a tune that has modified your MAP signal and the LP doesn't increase as it should as power increases it could easily cause slipping and burn clutches. Good luck..

BassMaster
05-01-2011, 09:38 AM
No tunes, all is stock other than a CAI. Fluid level is spot on, been checking daily. Im not sure if the fluid has ever been replaced before and I read at my mileage its better to leave it alone than change it. I appreciate the help..

I know my cats need to either be replaced or cut. There rattling and back pressure is crazy. Had it checked this past weekend.

Redtruck-VA
05-01-2011, 10:09 AM
John, you are not going to want to hear this but there are no valid reasons for not doing proper maintenance, you have an example of what it leads to sitting in your driveway. Good luck...

BassMaster
05-01-2011, 12:05 PM
I do all maintenance other than transmission I bought the truck used just a little over a year ago. Almost everything underneath it is brand new now.

Redtruck-VA
05-01-2011, 03:27 PM
Brother all I saying is if you ignore the trans or anything else it will come back to you. That old myth of not disturbing the sediment in a high mileage transmission is BS. Good luck.

BassMaster
05-01-2011, 08:28 PM
Ill change it next payday.

NOTPAID4
05-02-2011, 02:28 PM
OUCH... I hate that for YOU ~ figures 1200 miles out of warranty! Best of LUCK!

AParrette
05-03-2011, 04:24 AM
i had american transmission in jax do mine
2400 after tow and the 2 day rush job

just check the shift lever before you leave. mine wouldnt go into gear all the way in the selected gear. a comon problem w/ cable shifters
but i got so used to having a trans i could have free control over w/o hitting the brake that i need to do it on the gtp

BassMaster
05-18-2011, 08:18 PM
Changed the fluid.. Smelled a little burnt but pretty clean. Shifting smooth for the most part. Now for the front end.. New tie rods, bearings, ball joints and alignment.. Front end still pops and jerks pretty bad.. Could it be power steering?

Redtruck-VA
05-21-2011, 05:13 PM
John, any update?