View Full Version : 6.1 valve spring install

Redtruck-VA
04-29-2011, 07:55 AM
As stated this is next on the list. I shift Red at 6200 rpm using the 03 springs. So not all 03/04 springs break, but the 6.1 springs are cheap insurance and it always helps using fresh springs on a new cam.. I'll take my spring tool to town today and beef it up some. besides it's a good opportunity to show Red off a little. :naughty:

03MopaRamman
04-30-2011, 05:01 PM
Good luck, Greg, getting them squeezed on with those metal guards in place, with the slimmer tool you may be OK, I took mine off and so far no probs and have hit the 6400 limiter. Some would argue to leave them on but thats up to you, best of luck on the install and remember to have your pencil sized magnet ready when you play with the retainer bits.

Redtruck-VA
04-30-2011, 07:48 PM
Danny, thanks for the input. I'm ready except I don't have any spare locks. I don't expect to drop any but if I do I want a spare just in case.

Go to the dealer, they have the locks there and they are cheap. I bought a handful when I did my cam just to have on hand in case I lost one.

Redtruck-VA
04-30-2011, 08:15 PM
Go to the dealer, they have the locks there and they are cheap. I bought a handful when I did my cam just to have on hand in case I lost one.

Jason, I actually stopped by my local dealership (dickheads) and asked for price and availablity of the keepers (spilt locks) and was first told he would have to order them and they were $3.85 for each half. I found them on line at $2.75 per side. But emailed Duane to see if he could hook me up. Tried Advance and NAPA and was told dealer item. I'll find a couple before I start.

If you want I can take a look and see if I still have the ones I didn't use.

Redtruck-VA
04-30-2011, 08:36 PM
If you want I can take a look and see if I still have the ones I didn't use.

Jason, that would be great. PM me your PayPal address and I'll send you money to cover everything.
Thanks,

Let me take a look out in the shed tomorrow and if I still have them I will let you know.

Redtruck-VA
04-30-2011, 08:44 PM
Let me take a look out in the shed tomorrow and if I still have them I will let you know.

Much appeciated,
Thanks,

I couldn't find them. I will keep looking and let you know if I come across them.

Redtruck-VA
05-01-2011, 04:46 PM
Jason, thanks for looking, I'm going to hit a couple engine shops tomorrow and if I can't find any I'll order some.

I'll keep looking bc I know they are around somewhere. I thought for sure they were in my cam install box but no luck.

Redtruck-VA
05-01-2011, 04:54 PM
Thanks brother...

Redtruck-VA
05-11-2011, 05:44 PM
Well I got the spare locks from Henson and started pulling the front of the engine apart. Actually once the radiator is out there is room to stand in the engine bay to work on the heads. used the loan tools from Advance, it's $100 but I still had to make a spacer to get the balancer off. Got the ignition system off and valve covers. It is simple enough to work on. I broke the seal on the AC compressor, I didn't realize there is a bolt behind the compressor holding it to the head along with the bigger bolts that look to me to be actually the hardware holding the compressor in place. It was just carelessness on my part and a lack of experience working on this engine. Got the springs changed with the exception of the rear exhaust spring on the driver side. Actually there is plenty of room to work but you can't see to align the stem with the retainer when reassembling it. Had a failure with my air compressor (blown hose) and lost air on the cylinder resulting with the valve slightly dropping. No big deal but in the process the spring retainer fell and I can't find it. So I'm stuck until I can locate a replacement. I have spare locks, but didn't get any retainers. Who would have thought you could lose a retainer. used brass fittings to pressurize the cylinders. Screwed it together just using my hands. Screwed it into the spark plug hole and it worked as it was suppose to, unfortunately when I removed it the piece that actually screwed into the head stayed threaded in. That hole is deep and I tried several things trying to get it unthreaded and out but nothing wanted to work. After about three hours working on it I finally drove a harden steel rod That I ground a tapered end on it. And unscrewed it and pulled it out. Pulled the cool little rubber "o" ring off of it and tightened that sucker gorilla tight in a vise and wrench. Didn't have any more issues with it. Anyway all little stupid stuff. I'll try to find a retainer in the morning and hopefully install the cam tomorrow.

Redtruck-VA
05-12-2011, 02:57 PM
Called around for the retainer, no ones carry any parts. the dealer can get it to me tomorrow which as quick as anything every happens here in the country. Strangely enough the retainer is $.75 and the split keepers are $3.25 ea. Dropped the pan, I wanted to see the bottom spocket. Put that back together. You don't need to drop the pan to just change the cam. Changed the cam and installed the the passenger side rockers. Started putting the front of the motor back together, man there is a lot of different size bolts that hold that mess together. Got that back together. All is good.

Silverbullet08
05-12-2011, 03:01 PM
ahh this brings back memories...

Redtruck-VA
05-12-2011, 05:44 PM
Nick, I am sure it does. I may fire it up tomorrow, but it could take me another day or two to finish up.

Silverbullet08
05-12-2011, 06:21 PM
dont rush it make sure all the stuff is lined up right and good to go

Redtruck-VA
05-12-2011, 06:58 PM
The 5.7 motor is easy to work on. We are very fortunate that the lifters retract by only spinning the cam. Other engines require the actual removal of the lifters to install a cam. If it wasn't for the brake booster life would be perfect. I'm still pissed that I dropped the retainer. This morning the first thing I did was to remove the left front tire and inner fender liner and looked high and low. Well, I ordered two, so I'll keep a spare on my key chain just to remind me what a clutz I am. lol

OklaHemi
05-13-2011, 01:56 AM
Man I am anxious for a video, great work greg

Redtruck-VA
05-13-2011, 07:42 AM
I've been planning this install for about 6 months and I'm just taking it easy. We will see how well I have done when it's fired up and running. My plan A is to run it on the SC, PSC1 and high idle mod. If that fails, then onto plan B which will be a combination of a B&G flash and PSC1. The B&G flash can raise the idle and adjust rev and speed limiter. So we will see shortly.

Redtruck-VA
05-13-2011, 01:46 PM
I wasted more than half a day going to the local dealer. The parts guy "Bobby" said to expect my retainer around 10:30 and I was there and guess what? yeah, no retainer. He gets all busy with his computer and tells me well they show they have 32 of them in stock. I told him, I would be happier if it showed they had 30 of them and I had two in my hand. He goes wow we might not have them until Monday, today being Friday and all. Being the smooth talker that I am, I proceeded tell him what I thought of the dealership. He stands there blinking at me and says careful, I might take that personally. I told him you really should since he was probably the one responsible for not ordering the part. I was already starting to burn when I walked in and the Service Manager was busy lying to another customer trying to cover his ass. About a month ago I asked him if a 03 replacement PCM would need to be reflashed to be used. He said, I don't know. Then proceeded to tell me why it would need to be reflashed. I told him he should have stuck with his first answer as he clearly didn't know. This is the same Manger who wouldn't do anything for me last year after they locked my PCM during a reflash attempt which they charged me for. Every year I give them a try and every year they fail. I can only blame myself. Rant over....

Well, I let this stress me out more than i should so went out not really feeling like I wanted to work on it. But cleaned up the balancer and put it under a heat lamp. The engine is pretty cool, so i let the balancer soak up some heat for almost an hour. Lubed up the shaft. Tossed the balancer on the shaft and smacked it a couple of times and screwed it home. (sounds like a date) Emailed Art earlier to order two more retainers, made a followup call and was told Art was off. So I'm jammed until next week. I'll check with the dickhead dealer in the morning but have no faith in them.

Redtruck-VA
05-13-2011, 06:44 PM
Ok, engine guru's here is an observation and question. The 6.1 springs are shorter than the 5.7 03 springs. I didn't measure them but the 6.1 look to be a little thicker coil than the 5.7. If I had the springs sitting in front of me just looking at them i would pick the 5.7 as the spring to use for a cam with .550+ lift. So are we truely installing the right spring? All I've heard from the forums has been the 6.1 is the best available spring. Just seemed a little strange. I also retained the cups that came with the 6.1 springs. I don't have a spring tester to compare the installed height pressure, but would be very curious as to what they are. Anyone have any information?

Redtruck-VA
05-14-2011, 01:44 PM
Went to the dealer and sure enough the parts guy can't find my parts. Fuck them. Bought a construction magnet used to pickup nails on job sites. Searched everything, no retainer. Jacked Red up again and took the heat wrap off of the starter motor and looked high and low. No retainer. Rewrapped the starter motor and insulated some more wires. Put the passenger side valve cover on. Shot some WD-40 into the cylinders. Will have to wait until Monday to talk to Art. If that's a fail I'll check the pick and pull and see if I can find a head to strip. OBTW, the fuel rails are 3/4" in diameter. So will order some cool tubing to see if that'll deflect some heat. Hopefully all the little things will add up.

OklaHemi
05-14-2011, 11:36 PM
This is the kind of thing that makes me wish I were closer, it would be a blast to be able to hang and bs while doing this shit. Just like Tim Taylor arh arh arh

Redtruck-VA
05-15-2011, 06:31 AM
arh arh arh more power, he's the man.

Redtruck-VA
05-15-2011, 03:35 PM
Lol, this is becoming a tip of the day. When you pull the alternater there are threaded bosses that the bolts screw into to hold the sucker in place. Back the bolts out about a 1/4" and then using a drift pin punch or a extension smack the heads of the two bolts. This will drive the bosses back a little, giving some clearance on the brackets. Then just lift the alternater off the brackets. No fuss, no strain.The AC pump using a similar setup like the old chevy alternater with a split steel sleeve to take up any play. I got one place I can check tomorrow for the retainer, but doubt if he'll have it. Hiopefully Art will get me one by Weds. The price of the retainer is $.48 cents and has me jammed for a week. Just the way things go sometimes. I got about three hours work left on Red to finnish. Now I'm going to have a drink or three.

Is this what you need?

http://i403.photobucket.com/albums/pp115/jason149149/326036b1.jpg

Redtruck-VA
05-15-2011, 04:07 PM
Is this what you need?

http://i403.photobucket.com/albums/pp115/jason149149/326036b1.jpg

Jason, that is what I need. Is that a spare?

Yes, I had it laying in my cam swap box. Send me your address and I will put it out in tomorrow's mail for you.

Redtruck-VA
05-15-2011, 04:16 PM
Yes, I had it laying in my cam swap box. Send me your address and I will put it out in tomorrow's mail for you.

Jason, PM sent...

Very much appreciate this, I owe you big time.

Pm returned. Just glad I could help you out.

Redtruck-VA
05-15-2011, 04:49 PM
Jason, thanks for bailing me out. This thing with the retainer was starting bum me out. Seemed like everything I did, didn't work. Thanks again.
Lost it Wednesday, looked for it until it was too late to call the dealer.
Thursday, went to the dealer and stock check showed they had them in the warehouse.
Friday, Part didn't arrive from warehouse. Emailed Art to send me a couple. Followed up with a call and was told Art was off for the weekend.
Saturday, went to the dealership and the parts still wasn't delivered after being ordered twice. Searched for the retainer again using nail magnet and some serious lights. Basically removed everything that I could in the area of the drop and searched everywhere. I have spent more time looking for the damn retainer than working on the truck. I have removed the wheel, inner fender well, insulating wrap on the starter motor... lol
Jason came through so I should have this wrapped up in a couple of days.
Thanks, Jason

The retainer is packaged up and ready to go. I know how frustrating it can be when you drop something and it seems to disappear. I did that once with a 1/4 drive ratchet when doing the plugs on my wife's hemi. Damn thing vanished. About four months later I was changing her oil, looked up and the head of te ratchet was peeking out from inside one of the body panels. Have no idea how it got there or how it didn't fall out in thousands of miles of driving but there it was.

Redtruck-VA
05-15-2011, 05:43 PM
It's a mystery, I'm not going to be completely satisfied until I find it.

OklaHemi
05-16-2011, 12:26 AM
That's awesome teach is able to help, I'm anxious to see red up and running after all the work she has gotten

Redtruck-VA
05-16-2011, 07:21 AM
With Jason's help Red should be running soon. Of course I'm anxious to see Red running as it is always exciting to fire an engine after a cam change. I'm just glad I choose to do the work here at the house rather than at a friends shop. Here there isn't any pressure to finish and if I was stuck at a shop it would be a problem.

Just wantedto update you Greg and let you know the retainer went out earlier this morning.

Redtruck-VA
05-16-2011, 08:38 AM
Just wantedto update you Greg and let you know the retainer went out earlier this morning.

Thanks Jason, many thanks. I'll let you know when I recieve it.

4XLGator
05-16-2011, 11:50 AM
That's great. Way to help a brother out, Teach!

Greg, you done yet? LOL

Redtruck-VA
05-16-2011, 11:55 AM
That's great. Way to help a brother out, Teach!

Greg, you done yet? LOL

Lee, pretty close, I'm standinging outside waiting for the Postman with tool in hand..

Redtruck-VA
05-19-2011, 06:20 PM
Jason, I recieved the retainer you sent me today. Thanks, I have the engine together with only the radiator to be installed. This should take about hour tomorrow morning. Red will be alive again! I'm pretty excited to see how she runs initially on start up.

Great! I'm glad to hear that you got it and put it to good use.

Redtruck-VA
05-19-2011, 06:29 PM
Yep, it jumped right in there and is now a part of team Red.....

Redtruck-VA
05-20-2011, 11:48 AM
Gentlemen I'd like to report a successful 6.1 spring and crazy spartan 112 lsa install. I got a audio of the the initial startup. But unfortunately it was with my phone and is taking it's sweet time uploading to my computer. I will post it when I can. The audio pretty much sounds like shit but is all I have. The startup was straightup no drama, very little valve train noise, with my high idle mod it idles between 700-750, doesn't have much chop. I would guess the majority of folks won't notice. With that said it sounds good to me. It ran for about 10 minutes and shut off. I restarted it and that has been the only time it stalled. I have now taken it out and it feels good on the bottom and will spin the wheels through first a little harder than before and going past 6 feels solid. I think this is a good street grind and apparently works with a 03 PCM. It is a little fat at idle and wot is 12.5. So it'll dial it in with the PSC1 and I'm thinking maybe a slightly colder plug. Trans is shifting way early coming out of first because of the wheel spin, second is also a couple of hundred rpm short. I might have the TCM reflashed or more than likely just do a floor shift. So my opinion a fairly mild cam on 112 lsa will run on a 03. The 5.7 valve springs are taller than the 6.1 springs and have me concerned, but reading a couple post from the folks who suppose to know all say 6.1 spring is the way to go. All I can say I've pulled over 6 a couple times and everything is still under the valve covers. I'll load the audio later.

Sorry this is the best I can do.

http://img862.imageshack.us/my.php?image=esnw.mp4

txbass06
05-20-2011, 11:56 AM
That's awesome Greg. Glad ya got Red buttoned back up with no issues. Seems like the truck likes the cam too lol

OklaHemi
05-21-2011, 01:11 AM
That is friccken sweet Greg, I will have to hear it tomorrow my wife is sleeping next to me and I don want to wake her

Redtruck-VA
05-21-2011, 08:37 AM
Put about 60 miles on it yesterday. Went to get gas and the and the kid that pumps gas, walks up to me and says Sir what cam do you have in the truck? It surprised me as I didn't really think it was that noticable. Kid got a good ear. Still cost me $86 to fill her up. lol

Going to play a little with the MAP sensor restriction today.

SmokedRam
05-21-2011, 08:51 AM
Sounds bad ass Greg...good job

Redtruck-VA
05-21-2011, 09:02 AM
I'm thinking Red likes the new stick. I'm really pleased she is not stumbling or surging. This tells me the tune isn't far off. Will start checking trans LP to see if that has been affected.

OklaHemi
05-21-2011, 09:15 AM
wow greg that sounds wicked, im glad the install went well for you and there isnt a whole lot to correct. i was a little fearful of adding this to my mod list because of all the horro stories you hear

4XLGator
05-21-2011, 09:16 AM
Nice work Greg!

Redtruck-VA
05-21-2011, 12:58 PM
Thanks guys, since i have no experience camming a 03 I just went with my gut feelings what would work and tried to experiment a little to see how the truck handled different things. I'm going to start a new thread covering some of the latest things I've tried.

SmokedRam
05-21-2011, 01:09 PM
Thanks guys, since i have no experience camming a 03 I just went with my gut feelings what would work and tried to experiment a little to see how the truck handled different things. I'm going to start a new thread covering some of the latest things I've tried.

Good idea...we need more tech related info on SEM...