View Full Version : Modified MAP project

Redtruck-VA
04-22-2011, 05:45 PM
As part of my goal to install a cam with a bit of attitude in a 03 I have looked at how to make the MAP a little less sensitive to reversion. One of the methods is to restrict the orfice. The original inlet size was .375 and I have my MAP now restricted to .100 without issue. I just tapped the MAP inlet hole using a 3/8-18 tap and drilled out a cut off bolt to screw into the hole. As I change sizes I solder up the hole and re-drill to the next size. I'm using loktite to insure it doesn't come loose. has anyone done this and if so what did you accomplish?

Thanks,

http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/1887/imag0036uv.jpg (http://img20.imageshack.us/i/imag0036uv.jpg/)

http://img847.imageshack.us/img847/2518/imag0037z.jpg (http://img847.imageshack.us/i/imag0037z.jpg/)

OklaHemi
04-22-2011, 08:18 PM
never knew i had one... i learn all my engine stuff from you guys

Redtruck-VA
04-22-2011, 08:41 PM
never knew i had one... i learn all my engine stuff from you guys

It is one of the main sensor inputs to the PCM used to determine injector pulse width along with TPS signal and 02 sensor. Pretty much all cam installs require manipulating the MAP signal to pull fuel at idle. One thing leads to another and this includes transmission Line Pressure.

AWE Daniel
04-22-2011, 08:46 PM
I thought all we had was an iat? Is this 03 only?

Silverbullet08
04-22-2011, 08:52 PM
iat is just intake we got map too

Redtruck-VA
04-22-2011, 09:22 PM
Yep, IAT is the "Inlet Air Temperature" sensor and really only plays a small role in everything. IAT can fatten the P/W to a small degree which often sharpens throttle response. The surging at idle is often caused by too low of idle (rpm) resulting in a reversion pulse that upsets the MAP signal which richens the fuel mixture and the 02 sensor then trying to compensate resulting it a surge. Two things which IMO will solve most of the cam issues are raise the idle which smooths the reversion and isolate the MAP sensor to a degree which will smooths the output signal resulting is a more stable PCM control of the idle. Good luck...

Onk
04-22-2011, 10:49 PM
(Off topic tip) - When shooting something close up in your hand (like pictures above), enable the "Macro Mode" (the symbol looks like a flower). This will take a clear close up of the small object directly in front of the lens snd you will get a more focused picture of the item you are trying to take a shot of....

/photography tip

Redtruck-VA
04-23-2011, 08:07 AM
(Off topic tip) - When shooting something close up in your hand (like pictures above), enable the "Macro Mode" (the symbol looks like a flower). This will take a clear close up of the small object directly in front of the lens snd you will get a more focused picture of the item you are trying to take a shot of....

/photography tip

I appreciate any and all advice I can get doing stuff. That was taken with my phone, which is a story by itself. I took my droid back and got a Blackberry. I seem to do better with the BB. The droid had a mind of it's own and really pissed me off as it took twice as long to text or do pretty much anything as I would have to go back and correct all the F'ng changes it would make. Plus it spent way too much time being charged. There was some things I did like about the droid but the con's out wiegh'd the pro.

AWE Daniel
04-23-2011, 09:36 AM
What kind of droid?

Redtruck-VA
04-23-2011, 09:49 AM
What kind of droid?

http://www.uscellular.com/uscellular/cell-phones/showPhoneDetails.jsp?productId=prod10028&phone-selector-compared1=&phone-selector-compared-prepaid-sku1=&phone-selector-compared-contract-sku1=&phone-selector-compared2=&phone-selector-compared-prepaid-sku2=&phone-selector-compared-contract-sku2=&phone-selector-compared3=&phone-selector-compared-prepaid-sku3=&phone-selector-compared-contract-sku3=&phone-selector-type=contract&phone-selector-category=phone-selector-android&phone-sort-options=1

Ended up with a Blackberry Bold, a real plus for me is it is that I also have my overseas SIMS chip installed so I can use the phone here in the states and overseas. And all my contacts are consolidated.

Redtruck-VA
05-21-2011, 01:11 PM
ok guys post cam install, played with the MAP orfice a little. Further reduced it to .085 and it ran fine. Reduced it again to .063 and the engine won't run. So went back to .085 and took it for a ride. Sucker runs good so I'll say on a 03 you can reduce the orfice from .375 to .085 and my gut feelings is it helps prevent surging as it makes the MAP sensor less sensitive to manifold fluctuations. Is this the only way to achieve this condition? No, a remote mounted MAP I believe would also work, maybe even better then restricting. I am just looking at a combination that makes what I have completely streetable. Good luck...

4XLGator
05-21-2011, 01:44 PM
Greg, you are a wealth of information my friend. Almost makes me want to have a second truck I could "play" with.

Redtruck-VA
05-21-2011, 05:29 PM
Lee, now you are getting it...
A sweet little RCSB all dropped down is great fun..

4XLGator
05-21-2011, 09:32 PM
That'd be cool, Greg...it would have to be fast too! LOL

Sent from Lee's iPhone4 using Tapatalk

Redtruck-VA
05-21-2011, 09:38 PM
That'd be cool, Greg...it would have to be fast too! LOL

Lee that goes without saying....

4XLGator
05-21-2011, 10:11 PM
I mean REALLY fast!!

Redtruck-VA
05-21-2011, 10:28 PM
Supercharged 05 RCSB would fill the bill. Or any of the stroker motors modded to your hearts desire. There are many ways to skin the cat.