View Full Version : New Mod, fuel cell ideas

Redtruck-VA
04-14-2011, 10:14 PM
Ok, so I got bored and was checking classifieds and found a really cool little fuel cell. Didn't even asked, but looks like maybe three gallons. At some point I'm going to spray the old girl, so with that in mind maybe use it to hold some racing fuel to supliment the nitrious. Any other ideas for uses of a little fuel cell. Believe the previous owner used it for a water/methanol tank for a FI setup. Maybe just mount it in the bed to have folks ask about it.... lol

03's are sneaky old rides.....

Redtruck-VA
05-04-2011, 05:39 PM
There are some articles out talking about using water/metahnol injection to control knock and raise octane levels. They even say it will improve fuel mileage. Anyone have experience with doing this?

http://www.snowperformance.net/

Redtruck-VA
05-06-2011, 09:40 PM
Update: this alcohol/methanol/water injection becomes more interesting the more i read about it. Using it you can really bump up you fuel octane and it seriously cools the inlet temperatures. Hemi's being a little prone to knock with timing being thrown at them this might be a simple solution. Storytime: Back in the day I had a BB chevy in a 66' Nova, narrowed Old's rear tubbed and a turbo 400 with a dual stall converter (Buick internals). I was running hi-compression pistons and it really like to ping on pump gas. I had no idea what I was doing but I rigged a water injection setup that worked half ass. With the parts we have available today I could have done better. I used a Mason jar in a custom holder and folks thought I was injecting moonshine. lol great fun back in the day....

txbass06
05-06-2011, 10:21 PM
A lot of people run meth kits on F.I. 4 cylinders to keep knock down when they mess with the timing. GM's ecotec motors being a prime example. I did a LOT of research on them back when I was thinking about super charging my last car

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

OklaHemi
05-07-2011, 01:01 AM
When iwas on the rigs in Colorado we would run the methanol in our tanks and it did wonders, about a quart per tan when we added it.

The firt time I did it was in my 02 gmc envoy that was decently maintained but hadnt had and major maint, injection cleaning etc..., done. I put it in, filled my tank, and cranked the key. It started ran for 3 seconds and died. I start it again and it immediately died, the only thing I can think is shit I just fucked up Chrissy envoy and im a thousand miles away. I turn the key again and gave it gas and it ran and the revs skyrocketed and soot shot out of the exhaust, I let off the gas put it in gear hit the gas and it died, Now I'm fucked. I gave it one more shot this time as soon as I put it in drive I hit the gas and didn't let off. After about 15 miles it settled down and the envoy ran better than ever and I was getting 28 mpg as opposed to the 20-22 I was getting. Scary story

I ran it in my 08 ram that had the 3.7 constantly and I averaged 21-22mpg over the life of the truck. I bought it with 2 miles on it and ditched it for the qc when it had 52000 a year later and it still ran flawlessly. I don't know if there are long term side effects though I have heard using it too muck will dry out you seals and isn't good. I wish I had the access like i did (55 gal drums stacked up)I would like to dump a quart or two in my hemi to see what happens

Redtruck-VA
05-08-2011, 02:19 PM
The basic assumption I used was alchol is generally four times the volume of gasoline. The more fluids you run through the combustion chamber the cooler it will run reducing pre-detonation. The trick is to have an ignition system that can handle the spark requirement to ignite this heavy fuel load. But hey, it is all about experimenting.