View Full Version : 6.1 dual coil ignition mod

Redtruck-VA
04-14-2011, 07:15 PM
This was an unexpected buy the other night, couldn't pass it up. Anyway I recieved it today and it looks like it'll be the next mod to get done. I also have headers that need installed but I want to do them on a lift. I spoke to the guy at a shop I have had some work done last year and he's going to let me come in the following weekend while the shop is closed and use their lift. Way cool dude. So anyway I'm about to dump the ugly wires. This should improve the engine looks and can't help but to improve the ignition some. I'm hoping this will prevent the "miss-fire" codes that pop up with the bigger cams.

Redtruck-VA
04-15-2011, 07:56 PM
Got to running late today so didn't start until 2pm. passenger side is a piece of cake, but as we all know the drivers side is a bitch. I took my time aand thought it went back together well. Took it for a test ride and I have a very slight oil leak far back drivers side corner. I don't have any wires pinched, so hoping I can tighten it a little, if not I'll take it back off again. A more seious problem is I have dead cylinder. But hey, that's what it is all about. If it was easy, everybody would have a top gun...

Trupiano
04-15-2011, 08:05 PM
Wow Greg your really cranking out some in-depth mods on Red! Nicely done man!, I'm in total awe! I absolutely love everything you do to your truck because they're unique, meticulously done, and each one has alot of meaning/reasoning behind it!

:worship::worship::worship: We are not worthy! :pedobear:

Redtruck-VA
04-15-2011, 08:27 PM
Thanks Trup, you know I'm straight don't you??

lol

Trupiano
04-15-2011, 09:07 PM
Was that a little over the top? Sorry bro, just trying to give ya some "props"

AF_Hemi
04-15-2011, 09:11 PM
how bout some pics oh "King of the 03's"

AWE Daniel
04-15-2011, 09:46 PM
Thanks Trup, you know I'm straight don't you??

lol

Lol man love:gayfight::whip:

Redtruck-VA
04-15-2011, 09:59 PM
how bout some pics oh "King of the 03's"

Old Red looks the same as last year. I posted pictures of the Aeon Spring install earlier. The LP sensor is using the AeroForce gauge from last year. I posted pictures of the Window Switch mounted on the end of the dash. I'll get some pictures up on the 6.1 install when I get that sorted out. I left my good camera with my Grand Daughter and am trying to master my new phone camera and have finally figured out how to transfer pictures via Bluetooth to my new laptop, All my technology has been upgraded and is kicking my butt. Being old and not too savy about this new stuff has been a challenge. None of the mods are impressive to look at, so if there are specific questions about any of the mods I will certainly share what I know.

Trup I really appreciate your support, I was was just having some fun. It's nice to have a pat on the back once in a while.
Thanks,

Redtruck-VA
04-16-2011, 12:38 PM
Update,
Pulled the driverside valve cover and sure enough had pulled the corner gasket loose. Carefully put it back. Hint, if you get back in place and lift it a little and drop it back on the head and it makes a hollow thunk noise then you still have the gasket in place. if it is adull noise, look it over as the gasket has slipped. Tighten it up solid and started looking for the dead cylinder. I moved the coils around on the drivers side when I put it together and there was no difference. Started pulling coil plugs and it was the first one I pulled ie the front passenger side. This was the last one I wired up and it had a cold solder joint. Cleaned it up and it runs great. Anytime I can make something simpler I like it, besides I don't think I could every wire up the original cross fire setup and get it right.

OklaHemi
04-16-2011, 04:01 PM
sweet mod greg you gotta post up pics. how in depth was it? time, money. i need to change plugs and wires and maybe able to kill 2 birds

Redtruck-VA
04-17-2011, 07:57 PM
sweet mod greg you gotta post up pics. how in depth was it? time, money. i need to change plugs and wires and maybe able to kill 2 birds

This complete kit popped up on DT classifieds for $200. I had PM'd PCP for a kit and he had just came back saying he didn't have one. I knew the price was smoke'm and jumped on it. The pieces needed are the valve covers, coils and electrical connector plugs. I started at 2pm and finished at a little past 6pm. I got to rushing which never pays and knocked the gasket out of place on the rear drivers side and had to re-do it the next morning. Also the last connection I made I cold soldered and also re-do it. The throttle is very responsive and jumps nicely. I'm on a bit of a road trip and am looking forward to see if the gas mileage improves as it is a good indicator that the motor is liking the mod. The motor rolls cleanly up to my 6200 shift point. IMO this is a good mod, especially if it can be done on the cheap. Go for it....