PDA

View Full Version : More trouble with the truck

txbass06
03-15-2011, 11:33 AM
So my truck has been dragging pretty good trying to start it the past week or so. Checked the red top which is less than 6 months old and its fine, alternator is putting out a little over 13.6v so I'm thinking the starter is going out. I'm assuming its the original starter and 14 years isn't too bad at all. Starter replacement is no big deal to me. But this morning, I got in it to drop my son off and after it fired up, the RPM's dropped to almost 0 then picked back up.

Got back home, killed it, then tried to start it again and it dragged like normal, fired up, then died. Tried starting it again and it did the same. Fired up, revved up to about 1000 rpm like always on start-up then dies. If I keep my foot on the pedal even the slightest it'll run just fine, doesn't cut out or try to stall and I'm stumped. No CEL or anything and I have no idea how a bad starter could keep it from running. Anyone got any ideas?

NOTPAID4
03-15-2011, 12:32 PM
Geesh that doesn't sound too good ~ NOT sure what that could be either!

txbass06
03-15-2011, 12:41 PM
Went outside and tried starting it again. Same thing. Popped the hood didn't see anything out of the ordinary, tried starting her again and she fired right up. Didn't drag at all and idled smooth as hell. Drove it around the block with no problems. Killed it and started it up again and doesn't drag at all and runs perfectly so now I'm confused as hell...

OklaHemi
03-15-2011, 01:02 PM
man i dont know. maybe a loose wire somewhere or a short? i wish you were throwing a code.

OklaHemi
03-15-2011, 01:04 PM
im just googling but see if ANY OF THESE ARE PRESENT

Starting Concerns :

—Hard Start/Long Crank
—Erratic Start/Erratic Crank ------------- 602300

Perform the following preliminary checks:

1. Vacuum leaks.
2. Fuel quality (concerns such as proper octane, contamination,winter/summer blend).
3. Intake air system (tubes).
4. Air cleaner (restrictions).
5. Battery condition and starter current draw.

MAYBE CHECK FUEL FILTERS OR THE PUMP?

RamSport97
03-15-2011, 01:40 PM
Clean the Throttle Position Sensor, and take the alternator to a parts store and have it tested. If it is the original alternator or it is a re man it could very well have an open diode which would cause eratic charging. Sometimes it will charge your battery, sometimes it won't. And it when it won't, you will get that RPM surge and, if you don't keep a little pressure on the accelerator it will stall.

txbass06
03-15-2011, 02:52 PM
Alternator is the OEM unit. I work at O'Reillys so it's been checked on and off my truck a few times and it's showing 13.5 to 13.7v each time. Battery is an Optima Red Top that was put on it around thanksgiving. I don't think it's a vacuum leak due to the random occurrence.
Im leaning toward a bad ground since the only thing I've done is moved the negative terminal

txbass06
03-15-2011, 03:13 PM
I've got thurs and fri off so I'll chase wires and check them for breaks and I'll go through the vacuum lines too

car_enthusiast63
03-15-2011, 04:31 PM
the same thing happened to my dads 2nd gen, damn but I forgot what it was, I'll ask him when I see him later and I'll let you know

97tn4x4
03-26-2011, 09:42 AM
I'm willing to bet it's time for a battery. For some reason these trucks won't idle with a bad battery. It happened to mine a couple months back.

redneckrocket38
03-26-2011, 10:37 AM
like ramsport said clean the TPS or the IAC. we have a 2500 at work and it was acting up doing the same thing, ran fine just wouldnt idle. took it to our mechanic and he replaced the IAC and cleaned the throttle body and so far so good. Although a weak battery will wreak havoc on our second gens also.