View Full Version : Sonnax Line Pressure Booster

I've got one of these sitting in my toolbox and am considering installing it. Has anyone used one of these in conjunction with SC? Not sure if the SC also boosts pressure and if the SC does boost pressure, would the Sonnax boost it too much.

Silverbullet08
03-11-2011, 06:39 PM
i think ive read that it might be alittle too much to go along with the sc. sc is already pretty efficient at that part

AF_Hemi
03-11-2011, 06:58 PM
which superchips? 3865? i dont think it matters actually. pretty sure they arent the same thing anyway. plenty of people have run both without a problem. install it -- whats the worst that could happen? you'll get a few rough shifts and have to painlessly remove it? good thing its plug and play!

That's what I was thinking. I will try it and see what it does. Figured that the worst that can happen is I have to unplug it.

BAD HABIT
03-11-2011, 09:52 PM
I've questioned this myself I just wasn't willing to risk my trans I really don't need that kinda issue

After posting I did some more research and found where it is posted that SC does not increase line pressure. So it should be ok to run the Sonnax with the SC.

BAD HABIT
03-11-2011, 09:59 PM
Hmmmm

Maybe someone from SC will come on and verify but the info I found was from Sil who knows just about everything when it comes to SC.

Here is a quote I found about SC and line pressure:

They do it another way. They do not touch pressures. They've tested elevated pressure for the 1-2 shift, with their TCM tuning. They came to the conclusion that for a day to day driver it's just too hard. For the performance folks that might not make much sense, but most "average" daily drivers wouldn't like that type of shift. Superchips upgraded the program during the trans options beta to accommodate users who purchased their products and complained the shifts were already too hard. They included a feature that allows folks to run Stock shifts and Stock TM with their tuning.

AF_Hemi
03-12-2011, 01:47 PM
thats what i thought, but i didnt wanna give you bad info. im not expert on SC (especially the 3865 and its capabilities with different year models), and im not gonna try to be. I am an expert, however, on superchips for the 03's. NOTHIN!! haha jk

Well, I was going to put it on today but then got wrapped up in changing the oil in the wife's jeep and changing out my egr. Maybe this week I will get a chance to put it on and see what it does.

Redtruck-VA
04-13-2011, 06:21 PM
IMO, a LP booster of either brand works good on a 03 especially if you have a high stall TC which softens the shifts. I have no issues with mine.

Redtruck-VA
06-12-2011, 06:16 PM
While playing with LP monitoring I finally bought a Sonnax and got good measurement off of it, the resistance that is used is 380 ohms. This goes in series on the signal wire. IMO, if you are tuning you need a LP booster. My LP sensor I got from AeroForce crapped out after a month. I don't think it could handle the constant pressure fluctuation. I'm not going to use a sensor again, but a analog gage. It'll be temporary setup just to see where I am at with the current tune and LP.

truckin
06-15-2011, 01:00 AM
I can tell you with the DSP that all they do is drop the TM and do nothing to the line pressure. The sonnax is a good mod, just be sure to reset everything otherwise the the hard shifts you encounter at first turn to crap the firt time yu really get on it. Almost feels like it blew out 3rd. Reset the PCM and all was good again

Redtruck-VA
06-15-2011, 08:04 AM
Before the LP sensor gave up I was ready 40-45 psi at cruise, with the transgo booster 4.7k ohm resistor wired parrallel to the sensor I got 125 psi. I expect pretty close to the same with Sonnax. This was before tuning. Manipulating the MAP voltage diffinitely alters trans settings and without having real numbers to back up what I'm saying. I wouldn't tune without having a LP booster installed. Tuning I suspect may be lowering the LP uncontrollably. I'll post my findings when I find a good gage.