PDA

View Full Version : Helpful Laws for Auto Enthusiasts

AParrette
09-07-2010, 11:37 PM
if you wouldnt mind making this a sticky
i'll edit this first one with a link to the post of the statute and its description
items marked in red apply to us.

FL-316.220 Headlamps on motor vehicles. (Headlight Eyebrows) (http://semopars.com/showpost.php?p=832&postcount=5)
FL-316.221 Taillamps (Tinted Tails) (http://semopars.com/showpost.php?p=831&postcount=4)
FL-316.226 Visibility requirements for reflectors (Tinted/Painted Reflectors) (http://semopars.com/showpost.php?p=833&postcount=6)
FL-316.2396 Number of driving lamps required or permitted(Off Road Lights / Behind Grill) (http://semopars.com/showpost.php?p=834&postcount=7)
FL-316.251 Maximum bumper heights (Lift Kits) (http://semopars.com/showpost.php?p=829&postcount=9)
FL-316.271 Horns and warning devices (Train Horns) (http://semopars.com/showpost.php?p=829&postcount=8)
FL-316.272 Exhaust Systems (Prevention of Noise) (http://semopars.com/showpost.php?p=829&postcount=2)
FL-316.293 Motor vehicle noise (http://semopars.com/showpost.php?p=830&postcount=3)

AParrette
09-07-2010, 11:43 PM
316.272 Exhaust systems, prevention of noise.

(1) Every motor vehicle shall at all times be equipped with an exhaust system in good working order and in constant operation, including muffler, manifold pipe, and tailpiping to prevent excessive or unusual noise. In no event shall an exhaust system allow noise at a level which exceeds a maximum decibel level to be established by regulation of the Department of Environmental Protection as provided in s. 403.061(11) in cooperation with the Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles. No person shall use a muffler cutout, bypass or similar device upon a vehicle on a highway.

(2) The engine and power mechanism of every motor vehicle shall be so equipped and adjusted as to prevent the escape of excessive fumes or smoke.

(3) A violation of this section is a noncriminal traffic infraction, punishable as a nonmoving violation as provided in chapter 318.

AParrette
09-07-2010, 11:52 PM
FL-316.293 Motor vehicle noise

(1) DEFINITIONS.--The following words and phrases, when used in this section, shall have the meanings respectively assigned to them in this subsection, except where the context otherwise requires:

(a) "dB A" means the composite abbreviation for the A-weighted sound level and the unit of sound level, the decibel.

(b) "Gross combination weight rating" or "GCWR" means the value specified by the manufacturer as the loaded weight of a combination vehicle.

(c) "Gross vehicle weight rating" or "GVWR" means the value specified by the manufacturer as the loaded weight of a single vehicle.

(d) "Sound level" means the A-weighted sound pressure level measured with fast response using an instrument complying with the specification for sound level meters of the American National Standards Institute, Inc., or its successor bodies, except that only A-weighting and fast dynamic response need be provided.

(e) "Department" means the Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles.

(2) OPERATING NOISE LIMITS.--No person shall operate or be permitted to operate a vehicle at any time or under any condition of roadway grade, load, acceleration, or deceleration in such a manner as to generate a sound level in excess of the following limit for the category of motor vehicle and applicable speed limit at a distance of 50 feet from the center of the lane of travel under measurement procedures established under subsection (3).

(a) For motorcycles other than motor-driven cycles:
Sound level limit
Speed limit
35 mph or less Speed limit
over 35 mph
Before January 1, 1979 82 dB A 86 dB A
On or after January 1, 1979 78 dB A 82 dB A
(b) For any motor vehicle with a GVWR or GCWR of 10,000 pounds or more:
Sound level limit
Speed limit
over 35 mph
On or after January 1, 1975 86 dB A 90 dB A
(c) For motor-driven cycles and any other motor vehicle not included in paragraph (a) or paragraph (b):
Sound level limit
Speed limit
over 35 mph
Before January 1, 1979 76 dB A 82 dB A
On or after January 1, 1979 72 dB A 79 dB A
(3) MEASUREMENT PROCEDURES.--The measurement procedures for determining compliance with this section shall be established by regulation of the Department of Environmental Protection as provided in s. 403.415(9), in cooperation with the department. Such regulations shall include the selection of measurement sites and measurement procedures and shall take into consideration accepted scientific and professional methods for the measurement of vehicular sound levels. The measurement procedures may include adjustment factors to be applied to the noise limit for measurement distances of other than 50 feet from the center of the lane of travel.

(4) APPLICABILITY.--This section applies to the total noise from a vehicle and shall not be construed as limiting or precluding the enforcement of any other provisions of this chapter relating to motor vehicle mufflers for noise control.

(5) NOISE ABATEMENT EQUIPMENT MODIFICATIONS.--

(a) No person shall modify the exhaust system of a motor vehicle or any other noise-abatement device of a motor vehicle operated or to be operated upon the highways of this state in such a manner that the noise emitted by the motor vehicle is above that emitted by the vehicle as originally manufactured.

(b) No person shall operate a motor vehicle upon the highways of the state with an exhaust system or noise-abatement device so modified.

(6) EXEMPT VEHICLES.--The following are exempt from the operation of this act:

(a) Emergency vehicles operating as specified in s. 316.072(5)(a).

(b) Any motor vehicle engaged in a professional or amateur sanctioned, competitive sports event for which admission or entry fee is charged, or practice or time trials for such event.

(c) Any motor vehicle engaged in a manufacturer's engineering, design, or equipment test.

(d) Construction or agricultural equipment either on a job site or traveling on the highways.

(7) VIOLATIONS.--A violation of this section is a noncriminal traffic infraction, punishable as a nonmoving violation as provided in chapter 318.

AParrette
09-08-2010, 12:12 AM
316.221 Taillamps.--

(1) Every motor vehicle, trailer, semitrailer, and pole trailer, and any other vehicle which is being drawn at the end of a combination of vehicles, shall be equipped with at least two taillamps mounted on the rear, which, when lighted as required in s. 316.217, shall emit a red light plainly visible from a distance of 1,000 feet to the rear, except that passenger cars and pickup trucks manufactured or assembled prior to January 1, 1972, which were originally equipped with only one taillamp shall have at least one taillamp. On a combination of vehicles, only the taillamps on the rearmost vehicle need actually be seen from the distance specified. On vehicles equipped with more than one taillamp, the lamps shall be mounted on the same level and as widely spaced laterally as practicable. An object, material, or covering that alters the taillamp's visibility from 1,000 feet may not be placed, displayed, installed, affixed, or applied over a taillamp.

(2) Either a taillamp or a separate lamp shall be so constructed and placed as to illuminate with a white light the rear registration plate and render it clearly legible from a distance of 50 feet to the rear. Any taillamp or taillamps, together with any separate lamp or lamps for illuminating the rear registration plate, shall be so wired as to be lighted whenever the headlamps or auxiliary driving lamps are lighted. Dump trucks and vehicles having dump bodies are exempt from the requirements of this subsection.

(3) A violation of this section is a noncriminal traffic infraction, punishable as a nonmoving violation as provided in chapter 318.

AParrette
09-08-2010, 12:16 AM
FL-316.220 Headlamps on motor vehicles. (Headlight Eyebrows)

(1) Every motor vehicle shall be equipped with at least two headlamps with at least one on each side of the front of the motor vehicle, which headlamps shall comply with the requirements and limitations set forth in this chapter, and shall show a white light. An object, material, or covering that alters the headlamp's light color may not be placed, displayed, installed, affixed, or applied over a headlamp.

(2) Every headlamp upon every motor vehicle shall be located at a height of not more than 54 inches nor less than 24 inches to be measured as set forth in s. 316.217.

AParrette
09-08-2010, 12:20 AM
FL-316.226 Visibility requirements for reflectors, clearance lamps, identification lamps and marker lamps.--

(1) Every reflector upon any vehicle referred to in s. 316.2225 shall be of such size and characteristics and so maintained as to be readily visible at nighttime from all distances within 600 feet to 100 feet from the vehicle when directly in front of lawful lower beams of headlamps, except that the visibility for reflectors on vehicles manufactured or assembled prior to January 1, 1972, shall be measured in front of lawful upper beams of headlamps. Reflectors required to be mounted on the sides of the vehicle shall reflect the required color of light to the sides and those mounted on the rear shall reflect a red color to the rear.

(2) Front and rear clearance lamps and identification lamps shall be capable of being seen and distinguished under normal atmospheric conditions at the times lights are required at all distances between 550 feet from the front and rear, respectively, of the vehicle.

(3) Side marker lamps shall be capable of being seen and distinguished under normal atmospheric conditions at the times lights are required at all distances between 550 feet from the side of the vehicle on which mounted.

(4) A violation of this section is a noncriminal traffic infraction, punishable as a nonmoving violation as provided in chapter 318.

AParrette
09-08-2010, 12:29 AM
FL-316.2396 Number of driving lamps required or permitted

(1) At all times specified in s. 316.217, at least two lighted lamps shall be displayed, one on each side at the front of every motor vehicle, except when such vehicle is parked subject to the regulations governing lights on parked vehicles.

(2) Whenever a motor vehicle equipped with headlamps, as herein required, is also equipped with any auxiliary lamps or a spot lamp or any other lamp on the front thereof projecting a beam of intensity greater than 300 candlepower, not more than a total of 4 of any such lamps on the front of a vehicle shall be lighted at any one time when upon a highway.

AParrette
09-08-2010, 12:43 AM
FL-316.271 Horns and warning devices (Train Horns)

(1) Every motor vehicle when operated upon a highway shall be equipped with a horn in good working order and capable of emitting sound audible under normal conditions from a distance of not less than 200 feet.

(2) No horn or other warning device shall emit an unreasonably loud or harsh sound or a whistle.

(3) The driver of a motor vehicle shall, when reasonably necessary to ensure safe operation, give audible warning with his or her horn, but shall not otherwise use such horn when upon a highway.

(4) No vehicle shall be equipped with, nor shall any person use upon a vehicle, any siren, whistle, or bell, except as otherwise permitted in this section.

(5) It is permissible but not required that any vehicle be equipped with a theft alarm signal device which is so arranged that it cannot be used by the driver as an ordinary warning signal.

(6) Every authorized emergency vehicle shall be equipped with a siren, whistle, or bell capable of emitting sound audible under normal conditions from a distance of not less than 500 feet and of a type approved by the department, but such siren, whistle, or bell shall not be used except when the vehicle is operated in response to an emergency call or in the immediate pursuit of an actual or suspected violator of the law, in which event the driver of the vehicle shall sound the siren, whistle, or bell when reasonably necessary to warn pedestrians and other drivers of the approach thereof.

(7) Notwithstanding the other provisions of this section, a trolley may be equipped with a bell, and the bell is not required to be used only as a warning device. As used in this subsection, the term "trolley" includes any bus which resembles a streetcar, which is powered by overhead electric wires or is self-propelled, and which is used primarily as a public conveyance.

(8) A violation of this section is a noncriminal traffic infraction, punishable as a nonmoving violation as provided in chapter 318.

AParrette
09-08-2010, 12:48 AM
FL-316.251 Maximum bumper heights (Lift Kits)

(1) Every motor vehicle of net shipping weight of not more than 5,000 pounds shall be equipped with a front and a rear bumper such that when measured from the ground to the bottom of the bumper the maximum height shall be as follows:

NET WEIGHT

FRONT REAR

Automobiles for private use:
Net weight of less than 2,500 pounds

22" 22"

Net weight of 2,500 pounds or more,
but less than 3,500 pounds

24" 26"

Net weight of 3,500 pounds or more

27" 29"

Trucks:
Net weight of less than 2,000 pounds
24" 26"

Net weight of 2,000 or more,
but not more than 3,000 pounds

27" 29"

Net weight of 3,000 pounds,
but not more than 5,000 pounds

28" 30"

(2) "New motor vehicles" as defined in s. 319.001(8), "antique automobiles" as defined in s. 320.08, "horseless carriages" as defined in s. 320.086, and "street rods" as defined in s. 320.0863 shall be excluded from the requirements of this section.

(3) A violation of this section shall be defined as a moving violation. A person charged with a violation of this section is subject to the penalty provided in s. 318.18.

Onk
09-08-2010, 03:48 AM
shit, i violate 5 of them...lol

BAD HABIT
09-08-2010, 06:17 AM
i violate plenty myself....why would you post this to make us aware that we are in violation....they are laws and as my father in law says its up to the discretion of that officer who pulls you over....i have been personally complimented by local leo's about how the truck looks....

Onk
09-08-2010, 11:17 AM
I think its a good source of info and i enjoyed it....its not going to make me change the way i do things tho....lol

You should have posted up the statute for window tinting not legally allowed to be darker than 28%....lol which is another one i Violate with my tint being 5%

AParrette
09-08-2010, 03:12 PM
i break most myself
but if you know the law you could probably talk your way out of it.
for instance the tinted tails law. if you know you pass the measurement requirements than you could fight it in court.

i for one break the exhaust noise by not having a tailpipe or tradition muffler
but i'd rather know the law and not draw attention to the problem when pulled over. so when i got the headlight cover ticket, i killed the radio, rolled down the windows and killed the motor and took the little 70$ fine for tinted covers, when i had a laundry list of things i could be written up for.

BAD HABIT
09-08-2010, 06:56 PM
yes its very good info i didnt ask it in a mean way by any means, it just brings the truth out about the things we do to our trucks...

Brian9
09-08-2010, 07:29 PM
Uh oh.... lol that does suck. Oh well. I have had plenty of cops behind me and never been pulled over for tinted tail lights. I did sweat it the first time or two after I had tinted them :) I think they would only pull you over for that if they were going to pull you over to begin with and just use it as an excuse which they would of found another one if it wasnt for the tinted tail lights anyways.

MikeHTally
10-01-2010, 06:41 PM
300 candlepower?! Ya gotta strike a match to SEE 300 candlepower!

HammerZ71
10-04-2010, 07:31 AM
It's good to know the law. I got a buddy in Florida who got pulled over in his truck on the way to my house (for me to install a mod or two). The cop pulled him over for the sole purpose of making him put covers on the Hella lights on his grill guard.

The cop informed him that he could be ticketed for driving on the roads in Florida with "Off-Road" lights uncovered EVEN IF THEY WERE OFF AND IN THE DAYTIME (as was the case here). He informed him that he was "giving him a break" by letting him install the covers, but that if he didn't have the covers with him, he'd have had to give him a ticket.

I can not find ANYWHERE a statute in Florida that says any auxiliary lights have to remain covered while on the road!!!

AParrette
10-04-2010, 10:57 AM
well i got pulled over friday night for my hid's, the tint, exhaust, license plate cover and a few other things

i was told i would be given a "break" by only getting a warning
i was pulled over by 3 deputies. and i was told i would have been given $600 in fines
so i need to get my hid's fixed since they are stuck in the high beam position. and since i drive with my windows down i could care less about the tint. and i was pulled over at 2140 so they weren't targeting the truck from in town driving