PDA

View Full Version : Yellowish Oil residue in Oil Intake Tube

Preston2291
02-22-2011, 03:13 PM
Hey guys i have a problem and was wondering if you could let me know what was going on with my motor. About 2 months ago when i did my first oil change i took the oil filler cap off and noticed a foul smelling yellowish white residue that was all in the oil intake tube. I wiped it all out and went on with the oil change thinking it may have been just bad oil or something from before. Well about 2 weeks ago i went to do a basic checkup on the truck and it was there again, i will post pictures of it and maybe y'all can let me know what might be causing it or whats going on.

http://i753.photobucket.com/albums/xx171/pj2291/Photo0073.jpg

http://i753.photobucket.com/albums/xx171/pj2291/Random/Photo0072.jpg

BAD HABIT
02-22-2011, 03:26 PM
how far do you drive to work, do you let the truck get all the way hot before you get there? its condensation building up in the neck, it actually happens to quite a few rams, i have yet to see it in mine, i dont think anything adverse has happened from it, but i would wipe it out when you see it...

Preston2291
02-22-2011, 03:34 PM
yea ive wiped it out twice, but it always seems to come back, i just didnt know if it was harmful or not

Preston2291
02-22-2011, 03:35 PM
but my work is like 10 mins from the house, school is a half hour, and i let it warm up for like 3 mins before i drive most of the time

BAD HABIT
02-22-2011, 03:39 PM
its not getting to full temp, going to work, school for sure it is, but its def condensation building up and when it hits the oil it just turns milky...

Preston2291
02-22-2011, 03:44 PM
do you think it could just be the area in live in also seeing as i live close to the coast the humidity, or is my best bet to let it warm up completely before i go anywhere

BAD HABIT
02-22-2011, 04:32 PM
i dunno, mine doesnt do that i live a block from the water...on the gulf

AWE Daniel
02-22-2011, 04:58 PM
I get a really tiny amount of that on the underside of the oil cap when I change my oil, really small amount, but that right there is a shitload, you should probably get a new oil cap and see if that helps.

SmokedRam
02-22-2011, 06:05 PM
You're not losing any coolant from your radiator or expansion tank are you? I would also suspect that condensation in the crankcase is causing the milkshake if you are NOT losing coolant.

car_enthusiast63
02-22-2011, 06:12 PM
wait if thats condensation in there wouldnt that eventually cause harm to the oil and therefore the motor? I dont know much about this subject but would like to learn all i can about motors

SmokedRam
02-22-2011, 06:17 PM
wait if thats condensation in there wouldnt that eventually cause harm to the oil and therefore the motor? I dont know much about this subject but would like to learn all i can about motors

The most damaging thing to engine oil is heat cycles. Short trips where the engine is not kept at operating temp for an extended amount of time KILLS engine oils. It can also be harmful to exhaust components as condensation also builds there and will corrode exhaust components from the inside out.

car_enthusiast63
02-22-2011, 06:22 PM
Wow I did not know that to be honest, learn something new everyday, Thank You Adam

SmokedRam
02-22-2011, 06:29 PM
Now, just gotta figure out why the engine in not coming to temp...his drive should be MORE than enough in the Florida climate to reach 160 degrees, which is where oils are tested and considered operating temp. How high does the temp gauge get while he is driving? Is the thermostat sticking open, not causing the engine to reach temp?

car_enthusiast63
02-22-2011, 06:37 PM
Yea thats true now to find whats causing the problem in his truck.

Would that condensation be caused if its a cold start and stop only? or does this also happen when the oil and all the components are at operating temp and you stop and start the engine frequently?

car_enthusiast63
02-22-2011, 06:38 PM
I get a really tiny amount of that on the underside of the oil cap when I change my oil, really small amount, but that right there is a shitload, you should probably get a new oil cap and see if that helps.

Yea if the oil cap seal is bad wouldnt that cause moisture to get in causing the residue?

SmokedRam
02-22-2011, 06:47 PM
Yea if the oil cap seal is bad wouldnt that cause moisture to get in causing the residue?

It could very well cause the problem too. It could be just on the oil fill provision only. I would pull a valve cover and see how it looks...it the head is covered in milkshake I would suspect something more than severe service heat cycles causing the milkshake.

car_enthusiast63
02-22-2011, 06:54 PM
well for his sake I hope its not a big problem

BAD HABIT
02-22-2011, 08:49 PM
guys this seems to happen to alot of these trucks, but there isnt any common factors its just luck of the draw, his is alot worse than most i have seen...what kind of oil are you using preston? who does the changes? if he is 5 miles up the road theres no way his truck is heating to a good operating temp, i have a 180 stat and my truck dont reach that til after i drop my kid off and thats 10-15 mins away i hope in start and go, when i get there my stat is open...thats a good temp, think if he does this 5 days a week, but he also drives 30 mins to school, that should counter act and burn off any moisture, most guys that have had this issue have only found it in the cap or neck area...how many miles preston? might be a good idea to switch to full syn if you havent...

RamSport97
02-22-2011, 10:15 PM
It looked like that when he first brought it home from Ocala before he even did an oil change. He is using Valvoline Syn Power fully synthetic and a purolator gold filter. I assumed it was condensation as well and was wondering if one of his valve cover breather hoses might be kinked causing condensation build up, or something with the PCV valve not opening and shutting at the correct times.

Jay or Kevin- Is there a grommet toward the rear of the engine on the valve covers where either a breather hose is connected or PCV?

AWE Daniel
02-22-2011, 10:24 PM
What motor is that?

RamSport97
02-22-2011, 10:39 PM

SmokedRam
02-22-2011, 11:11 PM
How does it run otherwise...it didnt sound bad at the show a couple weeks ago.

RamSport97
02-22-2011, 11:18 PM
It runs flawless. Not an issue with it at all. I just think everything needs to be perfect for peace of mind. Its not even my truck but it bothers the hell out of me.

SmokedRam
02-22-2011, 11:25 PM
It runs flawless. Not an issue with it at all. I just think everything needs to be perfect for peace of mind. Its not even my truck but it bothers the hell out of me.

For shits and giggles I would pull the valve cover from that side and see if it is just isolated to the oil fill neck....if it is, I would change the oil fill cap and check it from there.

Preston2291
02-22-2011, 11:26 PM
ok i seemed to notice that it has gone away and came back a few times, so i think it might be condensation due to the filler cap, that might be a cause but that things madd tight on there when i close it, so idk how it would be letting stuff by.

RamSport97
02-22-2011, 11:39 PM
For shits and giggles I would pull the valve cover from that side and see if it is just isolated to the oil fill neck....if it is, I would change the oil fill cap and check it from there.

That's not a bad idea at all, can't say I want to even try pulling the VC on that cluttered 4.7 with it still in the engine bay.

Jay, what kind of oil are you running? Mobil 1, Amsoil, Royal?

SmokedRam
02-22-2011, 11:45 PM
If Jay used the oil I gave him than he is running Advance Auto Parts brand Full Synthetic, which we blend and package here at our oil plant.

AWE Daniel
02-22-2011, 11:48 PM
I would def pull the valve cover knowing the history of the 4.7s

RamSport97
02-22-2011, 11:52 PM
Okay, maybe next oil change we will throw some synth. blend dino oil in there.

Before I pull the VC I am going to try and locate the PCV valve and make sure it is functioning properly. If it is stuck close then there is the problem.

SmokedRam
02-22-2011, 11:52 PM
LOL, I just caught the part where Preston said it was foul smelling..if you tink wet oil is foul smelling, you should get a whiff of wet ATF...OMG....it will make you cringe.

car_enthusiast63
02-23-2011, 12:04 AM
ok i seemed to notice that it has gone away and came back a few times, so i think it might be condensation due to the filler cap, that might be a cause but that things madd tight on there when i close it, so idk how it would be letting stuff by.

Well the filler cap I believe has a seal on it, I havent really looked at mine but if that seal is shot I dont think it matters how tight you get it, it still may go through IMO

RamSport97
02-23-2011, 12:08 AM
I don't necessarily think its moisture getting in, as much as it is the oil vapors from the crankcase not having anywhere to go and becoming trapped in the crankcase. If the PCV valve isn't functioning correctly, and not sucking the oil vapors back into the combustion chamber, it is going to be stuck in the crankcase, and would have no where to go but the highest point in the crank case, which happens to be the oil fill neck. I will have to look at it closer next time he is over.

car_enthusiast63
02-23-2011, 12:14 AM
Gotcha, theres only one way to find out and thats to check out everything one part at a time till you get it, good luck to you and Preston on this

SmokedRam
02-23-2011, 01:29 AM
Preston, if you lived closer I would hook you up with a case of oil, so your next 2 oil changes would be free...

Preston2291
02-23-2011, 01:36 AM
damn man, thanks maybe next time we meet up ill take ya up on that offer :crazy:

SmokedRam
02-23-2011, 01:41 AM
10-4 rubber duck!!!

BAD HABIT
02-23-2011, 07:19 AM
remember 6 qts to fill our oil ....

Stealth Mode
02-27-2011, 01:18 AM
Look's like he got happy one too many time's with his engine... Lol

MikeHTally
02-27-2011, 10:38 AM
That is not good. You really should take it out on the interstate and drive it for an hour. That condensation will eventually cause some serious issues. Very frequent oil changes are a good idea too.

"Warm ups" are a waste of gas and not good for the motor anyway. The motor will warm up faster working rather than idling.